Community_discussions_small  

Question

London, Paris, Rome September 9th :)

30 Jul 2011 ParisBound asked

ParisBound

I am really excited to talk to some of the people that will be attending this trip. With less than 45 days left until our flights take off, it would be nice to know some of the people I will be spending 2 weeks with in a foreign place. I am also going alone, so it would be even better to know who I will be sharing a room with.

Well, a little about me. I am from Atlanta Georgia, and I have never left the US. Not because I havent wanted to, but because I never had the opportunity. I am most excited about going to Paris, since there is an eiffel tower on every wall in my living room. I am also a foodie, so I am hoping to find some people to go with me to try some of the great restaurants along the way. Anyway, I look forward to hearing for all of you. Also, any tips on what to bring and what to expect on the flight, ect. would be great :)

• 1 Aug 2011 Kelsey said

Default_avatar

My friend and I are going on this trip! We are getting very excited and met this weekend to try to plan out what we want to do a little bit. Neither of us have been to Europe previously and neither of us have travelled with Contiki before so this will be a completely new experience for us.

• 3 Aug 2011 ParisBound said

ParisBound

My friend bailed, so I am going alone :( But it is still going to be great. I still have to plan out what I want to do in Rome a little more. But I definitely want to go to the louve while in Paris. So if the louve is on your list we could all go together. I wish we had a more detailed intinerary. That way I could plan out what restaurants are going to be around and when I have free time. But since I am going to be alone, I definitely need some people to go around Rome with as well :)

So what things have made your must see list so far?

• 6 Aug 2011 MissChick83 said

MissChick83

My boyfriend, myself and a couple of friends are going as well. I am getting very excited and am counting down the days ! We are waiting for our documents from Contiki to come in the mail and hopefully it will me more detailed. Looking forward to an amazing trip and meeting some awesome people :)

• 9 Aug 2011 ParisBound said

ParisBound

Are any of those friends Single guys? lol Everyone that I have talked to is either a couple or a group of girls on this trip. When i signed us, I thought it was singles only :( the last thing I wanted was to be in the city of love with a bunch of couples. So I am really hopeing for some more single people on this tour :)

• 16 Aug 2011 Explorer1260110 said

Default_avatar

My friend and I will be joining all of you on this trip. We both have traveled internationally before – this is her second Contiki experience, my first. I am also hoping to get some more detailed information concerning the daily itinerary in order to plan out other ‘adventures’ during the trip – Heather

• 17 Aug 2011 ParisBound said

ParisBound

I have emailed them a bunch of times and all they can say is that we will get one in the mail 10 days before we leave. However, this is what they sent me. It might help some.

Depart for Europe Day 1
    Jet off to the trip of a lifetime awaiting you in Europe!

Arrive London Day 2
    Check in to your hotel after 2pm and head out into the humming capital of Britain for a sneak peek at what’s to come. Later, meet up with your fellow travellers and Tour Manager over dinner.
    Tonight, get a feel for this thriving cultural melting pot on a walking tour around some of London’s landmark spots with your Tour Manager. Check out the cool and happening hub of Soho, the bright lights of the famous Piccadilly Circus and the street performers in Convent Garden.
    Hotel
    Dinner

London Days 3 and 4
    With 2 days in London, there’s plenty of time to get a real feel for this buzzing cosmopolitan capital, where iconic black taxis and red double-decker buses flash past historic buildings.
    Anything goes in London, so choose how you want to experience it.
    During your time here, jump on the coach for a look at London’s iconic buildings and UNESCO World Heritage sites in our included tour. Learn about Big Ben, the Royal Family’s place of residence (Buckingham Palace), the horror tales of the Tower of London, and the magnificent Westminster Abbey, where Princess Diana’s funeral service was held.
    With an included day pass for the London Underground take advantage of the tube system. Use it like a local and move around the city at your own pace. Some ideas for your free time include a ride on the London Eye for awesome views over the city, or a visit to the Tate Modern to check out some of the world’s most famous contemporary art.
    You can rub shoulders with the stars by walking through world-famous Madame Tussauds waxwork museum. Otherwise shop in the colourful Camden Markets or hit Oxford Street.
    If you’re keen for something a bit more off the beaten track, ask your Tour Manager for some tips.
    During your time in London, there’s also an optional excursion to see the UNESCO World Heritage site of Stonehenge. Choose to get up close to the famous ring of stones and learn more about the legends surrounding them.
    A trip to Bath means a look into a gorgeous city, complete with terraces, promenades and heritage buildings. Get the background on the city’s name and Roman past in an optional excursion to the stunning Roman Baths.
    On your last night in London experience a bit of London culture with a trip to a famous West End musical – it’s on us! Afterward, round up some friends and hit the town. London has it all; jazz bars, traditional pubs, pumping clubs and loads of live music – take your pick and dive into the action.
    Hotel
    Day 3
    Breakfast
    Day 4
    Breakfast

London to Paris Day 5
    We hit the road and take a ferry past the White Cliffs of Dover. Travel past World War 1 battle fields in the Valley of the Somme to Paris.
    Tonight, the group kick starts Paris with the “Tour of Illuminations”, which shows off the French capital’s transformation into the “City of Lights”. Lamp-lit bridges and cool little cafés give us a real taste of Paris’ romance. Your Tour Manager will fill you in on the world’s most-recognised monuments, like the Eiffel Tower and the Arc de Triomphe.
    After the tour, enjoy another angle on the city with our included cruise along the River Seine. The lights of Paris and its buildings are spectacular when seen from the water.
    Hotel
    Breakfast
    Dinner

Paris Days 6 and 7
    This town is loaded with possibilities. Discover its many bistros, museums, tree-lined avenues and diverse quartiers (neighbourhoods).
    Get a feel for French flair by window shopping on the Left Bank, step into the Notre Dame cathedral or explore the endless galleries of the Louvre and get up close to the famous Mona Lisa. Try indulging in some delicious pastries and relax in one of Paris’ many green spaces.
    There’s a visit to Fragonard. This perfumery has an elegant interior and is a unique setting for a look into the history of perfume. It’s also a chance to pick up some French perfume at great prices.
    Time in Paris includes a trip out to France’s most well-known chateau: Versailles, once home to the Sun King, Louis 14th and hot spot of the French Revolution. Check out the impressive exterior of this extravagant palace, then enjoy a guided tour of the former royal family’s luxurious living quarters.
    Treat yourself to a real Parisian night out, starting with dinner and a show at an authentic cabaret, complete with can-can girls and champagne. But don’t stop there – hit the clubs for a night to remember.
    Hotel
    Day 6
    Breakfast
    Day 7
    Breakfast

Paris to Rome Day 8
    After a free day, we are southbound as we go local on the overnight train through France and Italy.
    Overnight Train
    Breakfast

Rome Days 9 and 10
    Wake up in stylish Rome. This place oozes energy and overflows with relics from another age. Use your included 2 day metro pass to get around Rome at your own pace.
    Get into the thriving atmosphere of this living timeline and check out, the Pantheon, Piazza Venezia and Piazza Navona. Honour tradition at the Trevi Fountain and throw a coin in the fountain’s waters (it’s meant to improve your chances of returning to Rome!). Maybe hang out at the Spanish Steps with your new friends, sit back with a few slices of pizza and people-watch.
    Uncover the remains of an ancient empire at the Roman Forum and Colosseum or visit the smallest country in the world and home to the Pope, the Vatican City. You’ve got plenty of time to take a closer look at St Peter’s Basilica or Michelangelo’s masterpiece, the Sistine Chapel.
    Take off into the city and absorb the atmosphere, as vespas flash past timeworn monuments that are surrounded by fountains, pizzerias, cafes and bars. Otherwise, live the local lifestyle by indulging in a long lunch on a paved piazza or knock back a shot of espresso at the bar, like the Romans do.
    Before you hit the shops, get some pointers from hotel staff on where to go for the best buys.
    Dive into Rome’s night action with your buddies and finish up your travels with a night to remember.
    Hotel
    Day 9
    Breakfast

Depart Rome Day 11
    The tour ends after breakfast & it’s time to say “arrivederci” to your new friends.
    Breakfast

• 29 Aug 2011 Explorer1279893 said

Default_avatar

Hello,
    I will be going on this trip as well. I look forward to meeting all of you.

• 30 Aug 2011 ParisBound said

ParisBound

Great, should be a fun trip. I am counting down the days. Are you traveling solo, or are you going with friends?

Oh and in case anyone wants to go with me, I just booked a Harry Potter Tour for 2PM the day we arrive (Sept 10th). It is a bus tour and it is 3 hours so it will be done before we have to meet with the group :) here is the link for those who are interested.

http://britmovietours.com/bookings/harry-potter-london-tour/

• 30 Aug 2011 Explorer1279893 said

Default_avatar

Great!!! I will be traveling solo. My first Contiki trip!

• 31 Aug 2011 ParisBound said

ParisBound

I am traveling solo too, and this is my first time leaving the US. I am kinda nervous. I dont know what time your flight gets in, but me and another solo traveler are meeting up at the hotel at 10AM or 11AM to go have lunch and do some sight seeing before we have to meet up with the group. You are welcome to join if you would like. :)

• 1 Sep 2011 Explorer1089171 said

Default_avatar

Hi Ladies!!
    I’m traveling solo too :) kinda nervous but definitely excited and looking forward to all the adventures and meeting new people. My flight arrives really early in the morning (6am) on the 10th .

• 1 Sep 2011 ParisBound said

ParisBound

Mine gets in at 8:30AM if it is on time. I will be going straight to the hotel, and I am hoping to get a group of us solo travelers together for lunch :) Or dinner depending on what time zone you left lol But you are more than welcome to join.

• 4 Sep 2011 Alyssa said

Alyssa

Hi babes,

I was looking to see if anyone had a thread about the London & Paris + Paris extension trip happening Sept 10, 2011 but this was the only thread that came up in the search. Are we on the same trip, do you know?

xx

• 4 Sep 2011 Explorer1279893 said

Default_avatar

Hi!

Yes, I believe it must be the same trip.

My flight lands at 11:30, so I will be in London a bit later.

A Tube pass was included in our package. Do any of you know if we will need this pass during the tour, or can we use it to cmmute from the airport to the hotel?

• 4 Sep 2011 Explorer1274125 said

Default_avatar

hi there me and my friend are going on this trip it is how first trip to euro so if some one want to meet up b4 it starts that would be gud

• 5 Sep 2011 ParisBound said

ParisBound

I didnt get a “tube pass” in my stuff? I know we get one for Rome, but are we supposed to have one for London too?

Alyssa, I dont think it is the same trip. However, I listed our itenerary in an earlier post, so you can check that against the trip you booked to see if it is the same.

• 5 Sep 2011 Kelsey said

Default_avatar

I believe that those who have the “10th” listed are on the same trip. We are coming from the US and leave on the 9th but we don’t arrive in London until the 10th. We are arriving around 11 am as well. The metro pass we received is for London on the 10th, I believe it is supposed to be used to get us from the airport to the hotels.

• 5 Sep 2011 ParisBound said

ParisBound

I am I the only one that did not get a metro pass? I guess I am going to have to call them about that.

• 5 Sep 2011 Alyssa said

Alyssa

I didn’t get the metro pass either ):

• 5 Sep 2011 Explorer1279893 said

Default_avatar

That’s right, it does say September 10th on the tube pass. Thanks for pointing that out!!!

I’m coming from Canada. Anyone else from Canada?

I look forward to meeting all of you.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion