Community_discussions_small  

Question

Big Indochina/Asian Adventure 6th November 2011

1 Aug 2011 Lisa asked

Lisa

hi guys,

would love to meet anyone else doing this trip.

will anyone be going a day earlier?

cheers

lisa

• 1 Nov 2011 Lisa said

Lisa

haha have you ever done an over night train trip before? I have done plenty in Aus….and they are nothing to get excited about. however, you should try everything once and ill ask you again the next morning haha. If we can get to the high-ropes and flying fox im there for sure! im even excited for the cycling tours. wouldnt mind finding some absailing/rock climbing etc. Im keen to pack in as much as possible!

• 1 Nov 2011 Nathan said

Nathan

Im hoping there is a bar on the train haha. Does anyone know if we need a sleeping bag? Im planing on bringing very little and buying a lot!

• 1 Nov 2011 Lisa said

Lisa

hey nathan! we would only need one for the maybe the home stay and the overnight junk boat maybe? but i havent been told we need one…..if it turns out we do it would be pretty easy to pick one up in bangkok i reckon. i plan on doing some shopping too..

• 3 Nov 2011 Lizzy_Jane said

Lizzy_Jane

Hey Guys,

Looks like my travel partner Simon has already jumped on here before I did – I always seem to organise everything last minute. Thought I would say hello anyway. I’m from Perth WA as well. Simon and I will be kicking about Bangkok from Saturday night at around 6pm (that’s right isn’t it Simon?) I look forward to meeting you all :)

• 10 Jan 2012 kelly said

kelly

Hi All

It seems i am joining this trip aswell :) i arrive 2 days before hand and would be awesome to meet you guys before hand?

really looking forwards to this trip

• 10 Jan 2012 Lisa said

Lisa

hey kelly, we actually did this trip back in November. but you are going to LOVE it! it was an awesome trip.

• 10 Jan 2012 Simon said

Simon

Agreed! As Lisa said it is an amazing holiday! I had the time of my life! Your sure to have a great time Kelz!

• 19 Jan 2012 Raigz said

Raigz

Im doing this in March. First big trip can you give any advice lisa or simon? On things to take/watch out for etc….im getting nervous! haha x

• 19 Jan 2012 Lisa said

Lisa

there is no need to be nervous. the tour guides are amazing and the trip is really well organised and the local guides are really nice. you tend to do everything in groups so you cant get lost. One word of advice…dont take anything that you would be really upset if it got lost or damaged etc.. you will need a warm jacket for the mornings in Laos. and make sure your camera is good to go :) apart from that you can pick up most things you need as you go (heaps cheaper too). maybe make sure you have travel sickness and gastro-stop type tablets…there are a few rocky bus rides and hung over mornings haha. HAVE FUN!! :)

• 20 Jan 2012 Simon said

Simon

Hmm, I want to do this trip again… missing the adventures already.
    Raigan don’t worry too much about the trip; while you’ll come across pick-pockets and the like if you listen to your tour manager you should be fine. We all had a safe and enjoyable trip & would happily do it all over again. Find some nice (non-odorous) bug repellent, trust me on that one. I would definitely recommend keeping a journal of everything you see and do, because you do so much your initial impressions of places you visit tend to blur together. One of the Canadians on the tour did so, and once I got back I really wished I had. I’ve got a few hundred photos online if you interested in getting an idea of what to expect.

• 20 Jan 2012 Lisa said

Lisa

just a few hundred photos simon? haha.

• 20 Jan 2012 Simon said

Simon

400 to be exact Lis’ I’ll have you know I took over 1700 ;)

• 20 Jan 2012 Shaker said

Shaker

Simon and Lisa
    Did you 2 do the Big Indo trip or just the Asian Adventure?
    Im doing the Big Indo in March, so looking fwd to it.
    Did u do all the optional activities?
    1 question about footwear, will i need to take a sturdy pair or will i get away with just thongs?

• 20 Jan 2012 Lisa said

Lisa

yeah we both did the long haul Big Indo. it was awesome. you start with the asian adventure group and then pick up a brand new group of Vietnam highlights travellers. i took a pair of runners with me. didnt use them. we all pretty much wore thongs the entire time so you should be fine.

Shaker

Ok cool, thanks.
    Just out of curiosity how many were on the tour

• 20 Jan 2012 Simon said

Simon

We both did the Big Indo.
    We did all optional activities and more; it was well worth the experiences they offered. Even the cooking classes are great fun!
    I would be inclined to take some regular shoes as well, but that is just me. Some wore just thongs, but keep in mind stuff is cheap. One night on the town in Vietnam I went out and bought some really nice jeans, shirt and shoes for under AU$45. In saying that you can get your printed T’s and singlets for about AU$3 ea same goes for thongs in most of the countries. Nice and cheap. You can pretty much buy clothing on the go. In Hoi An you can get amazing suits and dresses tailor made from between $100-300. I wish I knew that before I left for the trip.

• 20 Jan 2012 Simon said

Simon

Roughly 31 on the tour we did, though it does vary across both halves of the tour. Ours was full for both halves. While I know the one, one the the tour managers had starting the day after ours ended only had 15 for the 1st half.

Shaker
    Thanks Simon

Yeh was thinking that i would do all the optionals.
    Ok cool, pretty cheap outfit. I was just thinking of buying clothes along the way, seems just as cheap as Bali.
    Where can i get a loo at ur photos of ur trip,if u have got them up yet?
    Where was ur best night out?

• 20 Jan 2012 Simon said

Simon

Best night out was Siem Reap in Cambodia, it was the last night with the crew from the 1st half, we had so much fun that night. But you have a lot of great nights out on the trip so there is a lot of chances.

Anyone that wants to check them out can either add me on FB https://www.facebook.com/simon.taylor.86 or give me you e-mail address & I’ll send you a direct link to the albums.

Shaker

shakershea@hotmail.com

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.