Community_discussions_small  

Question

How was the Egypt and The Nile tour after....?

1 Aug 2011 Miguel asked

Default_avatar

I am leaving for the Egypt and The Nile tour in November of 2011. My question is for those who have been on this trip after what has happened in Egypt. How was the trip and was any part of the itinerary affected by the previous events that had taken place. Thanks!

• 4 Aug 2011 Chyronius said

Default_avatar

Hi,

We just got back this week from Egypt.
    Let me start by saying were safe and felt very safe the entire trip. The only place we felt out of comfort zone was in Cairo… the only reason is that Cairo by nature is a very very busy city, and the people are different than we were used to. We chose to go out at night in Cairo in a group of 6, walking the streets. We stuck out like a sore thumb, but we were never harassed or bothered by anyone. You can shoose to go out in Cairo or just stay in the hotel…its up to you. the rest of the trip you will be with Sherif and you will fell very safe and protected with him. he is like the mayor..everyone knows him. Also after you leave Cairo, you will be in all tourist areas.

just a tip.. on your first day, change all your money for Egyptian pounds. You wont need any American dollars at all. Also, if you plan to buy souveniers dont spend all your money until you go to the papyrus museum on the 2nd to last day. We liked that the best but we wished we hadnt bought so many souveniers beforehand…

have a great time… We loved the trip!

• 6 Aug 2011 Nicki S said

Nicki S

I have to second that this trip was very safe. For me, I felt the least safe in Alexandria, but that was one day that my husband and I did our own thing and just took a taxi up there for the day, no tour. The entire itinerary is awesome and you just won’t believe what you will get to see and take in. Sherif is an awesome tour guide and really knows his stuff. He made sure we were at sites before everyone showed up and got us some excellent photo opportunities. Our group went second week in July and had no issues while we were there. The staff in the Victoria Hotel and on the Nile cruise were so great and really take care of any needs you might have.

I do admit though, I am curious to see what happens in regards to tourism once they have their elections. I am hoping it doesn’t change anything because the country and people need tourists very badly right now.

When you get off the plane, you pass some money exchange windows before hitting the customs desks. Stop there to not only exchange your money, but to purchase your visa if you don’t already have it. Otherwise you might end up waiting in line to find out you don’t have what you need. And if you don’t already know, nothing is free in Egypt. If anyone wants to help you with anything at all, they expect a little compensation no matter how minor or unwanted their help was. I wish the people selling souvenirs at the sites were genuinely interested in having a conversation with you and not just to lead into selling something. So beware when they start chatting you up. Try to ignore the majority of the locals and just soak in all the history and amazing structures at all the sites. Enjoy!

• 7 Aug 2011 Miguel said

Default_avatar

Thank you both for your responses. Im glad everything went well and as planned. Cant wait to experience this trip!

Miguel

• 17 Aug 2011 Explorer1262227 said

Default_avatar

This is fantastic to hear. We’re going Sept 24th! So excited!

• 17 Aug 2011 GoldenHelikaon said

GoldenHelikaon

That’s good to hear. I’m doing this tour on September 3rd. Can’t wait!

• 31 Aug 2011 DanniMarie27 said

DanniMarie27

I am looking in to taking this tour in November too, what dates are you looking at? I have the same concerns!

• 31 Aug 2011 Jay369 said

Jay369

Thanks for the info

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion