Community_discussions_small  

Question

Eastern Discovery question

4 Aug 2011 Chris H asked

Default_avatar

So I’m contemplating doing the Eastern Discovery tour next year in July but the amount of travelling done within the two week period looks slightly daunting.

My question is, is this tour like one of the European bus tours where the days in the bus are really long? (you stay in one place for 1 or 2 nights then you have to get up early to hop on the bus for 8 hours to get to your next destination)

After experiencing 3 of the Asian tours where it never takes you more than 3 hours to get to your next destination (apart from the overnight trains and the boat ride down The Mekong) I never want to go through one of those European-style bus tours again!

• 5 Aug 2011 Amanda_Cameron said

Amanda_Cameron

hey i did this tour and i would say the bus journeys are not that bad, the only time that your on and off the bus to different hotels is when you get to savannah, raliegh,richmond on the way to DC Where you stay in 3 different hotels over 3 nights. other than that the tour was really good!

• 9 Aug 2011 Chris H said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the feedback Amanda, looks like I might go ahead and do this one then.

• 11 Aug 2011 AllysaDreams said

AllysaDreams

Hi Amanda,

I hope you don’t mind but can i ask a few questions about Eastern Discovery?

Can i ask if you have any tips, optionals definatly to go on, those not so much? How many people are actually from the eastern discovery tour that meet up with grand southern group (hoping im not the only one, pretty daunting) What was your favourite place? The roomie that you stayed with the first night, do you stay with throughout the tour? Also i heard that there may be two coaches?

Hope you don’t mind all the questions, just trying to get organised in my mind :)

Basically any peice of information would be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou

• 12 Aug 2011 Amanda_Cameron said

Amanda_Cameron

hiya allysa, no worries, so around 15 get off in new orleans and 15 get on, i would defo recommend the jazz cruise in new orleans this is the night before your tour starts, but it will give u the chance to meet everyone on the grand southern who are continuing on, so the first day we had our meeting with the tour manager(only the people joininh onto the tour) in the morning, this day was classed as a free day so we all did stuff together you could do the optional of the swamp tour but it was already fully booked so we all arranged to do somethink ourselves and met up with the rest of the tour that night. well when i booked 2 extra nights in new orleans i didnt have a room mate and i was put with a girl also on the eastern discovery we shared for the whole duration, i dont think there will be two coaches only one. there are some good optionals, ie: the boat party in miami was really good!! disneyland, ummm sorry im trying to think, the trolley tour in savannagh was good, and the tour manager also normally arranges a baseball game, i didnt do any of the ones in washington only beacuse im not really in history…. oh and we also went bowling in raliegh.

• 14 Aug 2011 AllysaDreams said

AllysaDreams

Thankyou Amanda, thats really really helpful, i sent you a message as well :)

• 14 Jan 2012 Samara13 said

Samara13

I know I’m a bit late on this post, but I thought I would share anyway. I’m leaving for this tour in 9 days!! So excited! I thought the same thing about the bus trips – but I went onto Google maps and got directions from each destination to the next, which roughly gave me the amount of time we would spend on the bus. If you do this, keep in mind that the bus will stop every few hours for a while. :)

• 15 Jan 2012 Chris H said

Default_avatar

Thanks Samara, have a great trip!

• 27 Jan 2012 Hannah said

Hannah

Im looking at doing this tour in July 2012 also :) i did the Wild western tour last yr and truly had the time of my life!!!

• 12 May 2012 Explorer1312741 said

Default_avatar

Booked for July 17th, o yes!!1

• 2 Jan 2013 Tamara21 said

Tamara21

thanks for the feedback guys, my boyfriend and I are doing this around the 22nd Jan!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.