Community_discussions_small  

Question

European Encounter 20 December 2011 - 4 Jan 2012

6 Aug 2011 ShazB asked

ShazB

Hello is anyone going or considering going on this tour. I've booked alreay and would like to get to know others going on this tour?

• 14 Sep 2011 Kaps said

Default_avatar

hey! i just booked this tour earlier this week. going solo as well. I see you’re from KZN too. I was born in Durban but my family moved down under 10 years ago. Can’t wait for this trip – will be my first time in Europe.

• 14 Sep 2011 ShazB said

ShazB

Hello fellow traveller. Hows Queensland? My dad lives in Perth. Yep I live in the North coast (20mins from Durbs). I know I cant wait either – although we are going to freeze there – from what I know Brisbane weather is much like Durbs.

• 18 Sep 2011 Grace said

Default_avatar

Hello,
    I am Grace and live in Perth Australia.
    Myself and my friend are both going on this trip and even though it seems a long time away I am very excited already.
    Have you every been to Europe before?
    Grace

• 18 Sep 2011 ShazB said

ShazB

Hi Grace.
    I know what you mean I booked the trip months ago and have been excited ever since. Its my first trip to Europe how about you?
    I’ve already started preparing for Europe’s winter.
    What optional tours are you’ll considering?

Shaz

• 19 Sep 2011 Grace said

Default_avatar

Hello Shaz,
    We booked the trip in around March so it feels like a very long time!
    I went to Europe in July and did Ireland and a few other places. This trip we are going to Venice and Luzern Switzerland and both of them I have seen but the rest I have not so can not wait!
    I am also prepared for the winter clothing as it is already summer clothing out here!
    I know it is going to be freezing but it should be part of the fun and adventure.
    I would like to do the Amsterdam Canal Cruise as that is meant to be beautiful.
    Possible Mt Pilatus depending on the weather as I did that last trip.
    Venice walking tour
    Vatican tour
    The rest I will wait and see at the moment. I think the Show in France would be great also.
    What where you thinking of doing?
    I am more interesting in the sights and history of all the places where as my friend Pamela she is more interested in the night life so we will be separate a lot as I am not a big drinker.
    What about you are you more interested in the sights or the night life?

Grace

• 20 Sep 2011 ShazB said

ShazB

Hi Grace

I dont drink at all and while I do enjoy the nightlife I would prefer to be awake during the day :-)
    I love sightseeing and exploring a country and have wanted to go to Europe because of the history and culture. Apart from Amsterdam and new years eve I think I would rather stay in and get an early start the next day or stay awake on the bus and enjoy the views. Besides I can always party at home.

I am planning to do all the sightseeing optionals. I may skip a few optional dinners / lunches and go off exploring. I like the idea of finding an out of the way gem to have lunch or dinner.

Wow you guys did book early I only booked in June. Well we almost there 3 months to go :-)

When are you getting to London?

Shaz

• 20 Sep 2011 Grace said

Default_avatar

Hello Shaz, It is Grace not Gloria :)
    I am 100% like you wanting to have early nights and staying awake on the bus, I agree I think some of the lunches and dinners I might miss as they seem very pricey!

I am getting to London on the 18th of December- originally leaving for Contiki on the 22nd but not enough numbers for that trip so now the 20th with you.
    I will be leaving to go home on the 10th of January as have to get back to work.
    What about you when do you get to London? Are you staying in London or doing other trips?

Grace

• 20 Sep 2011 ShazB said

ShazB

Lol you won’t believe it I was typing an email to a work Colleague ie Gloria and posting to you at the same time and got it mixed up. So much for women being able to multi task. Sorry about that :-)

I’ll be in london on the 19th so only 1 day – poor planning as I would have liked to spend longer in London. Friends booked and I decided to join them but am going with couples so essentially solo. Will be departing from Paris on the 5th and here again would have loved to stay longer.

I want to book Anne Frank house and the Louvre ahead of time.

I was in Perth in April this year

Have you ever been to South Africa?

• 20 Sep 2011 Grace said

Default_avatar

No problem :)
    You will be buggered by the time you get back to home!
    I really want to do Anne Frank and the Louvre- I might also look into booking early. I am just concerned that we would not know the dates and time we would be able to tour through them.
    I am very excited about the Vatican city! it is meant to be amazing.
    Oh that is good you have other friends on the trip.

Oh wow- what did you think of Perth? Why did you come here? Did you do other parts of Australia?

No I have never been but would love to one day. I have so many places I would love to see on the list but it all comes down to money and taking time of work!

• 20 Sep 2011 Erika said

Default_avatar

Hiii,

My sister and i will be going on this tour, we are from sydney and really excitied for this trip.

I have already been stocking up on warm clothes, hoping not to freeze. Really looking forward to all the amazing sites to see and visit.

Cant wait to meet you guys :)

Erika

• 21 Sep 2011 ShazB said

ShazB

Hi Erika I’m also hoping not to freeze :-)
    I’m glad to be meeting people that’s going to be on the same trip

Looks like we have Aussies and South Aficans so far

Grace my dad lives in Perth and I’ve been there over 20 times :-) I have been to Sydney and Brisbane.
    I also want to see the world but like you time and money are my limitations.

Also cant wait to meet you guys :-)

• 21 Sep 2011 Grace said

Default_avatar

Hello Erika.
    I am sure it will be freezing especially if we all go up the mountain top! And considering we are going from hot weather to winter!
    Are you staying in London at all or doing any other trips?
    Have you been to Europe before or your sister?

Oh wow Shaz- would you ever move to Australia?
    On the trip are you in a room to your self or doing a twin share with someone?

It sounds like we have a good group already so I am happy. It is not long now.

Grace

• 21 Sep 2011 ShazB said

ShazB

Hi Grace
    who knows what the future holds maybe I will come live in Aus for a while.
    I didnt chose the single room option so I will share with someone. The extra R 3000 i figured could be put to better use. shopping / sightseeing.

The moving from hot weather to cold also worries me. S.A & Aus have very hot summers and the winters are no where near Europe’s. My brother and sisters from Perth did go to Europe last year Dec though and they had a blast. We just need to carry the appropriate clothing and we should be fine.

Are you ladies carrying formal/dressy outfits as well?

• 21 Sep 2011 Grace said

Default_avatar

Yes that is true. I am going to pack thermals I think.
    Oh that’s great they had a blast!
    Did they do contiki?

I agree it does seem like a waste of money when you could spend it on other things like you said.
    I am defiantly going to be packing some dressy clothes as I will be going out some nights and want the option. I have plenty of time to think about it though!

How far is the flight toLondon from South Africa?

Erika and Shaz are you both staying near the pick up spot for contiki in London?

• 21 Sep 2011 Erika said

Default_avatar

We will be staying in London for 4 extra days after the tour and then heading back due to work. We have never been to London or Europe so this will be a first time and very excitied about it.

I had an friend who did Contiki around the same time a couple years ago and he raved on about how great it was, most people have had great experiences :)

Hmm im also thinking about packing lots of thermals, and some outfits for going out. Right now, im looking for some real warm gloves and scarfs.

Im staying the first night before contiki starts at their feature hotel, where the pick spot is.

Im soo glad that there seems to be some real nice people on this trip :)

• 22 Sep 2011 Grace said

Default_avatar

Oh that’s nice you are staying in London for a few days. There is so much to do in London and great shopping!
    I am also staying for a while- I think 6 days after and then also back to work!

I have only hear good things about Contiki and it sounds very social so going out at night and meeting lots of people which will be great.

My friend and I are staying a 5 min walk away from the pick up spot so it is not difficult to get there in the morning when we need to leave!

What optional tours/ dinners are you thinking of doing- or are you going to play it by ear? I am defiantly doing some and the rest play it by ear.

Same here. It will be a great trip. Not too long to go! :)

• 28 Sep 2011 ShazB said

ShazB

Hello Grace / Erika
    I wil be staying at the Royal National before the trip and departing from Paris to go home.
    Its a 10 hour flight to Frankfurt & I think another 2 hours to London. What about from Aus?

What are you guys going to do for so long in London? My friends want to extend their trip in london. Do you guys plan on doing any sightseeing on the first day in London?

Shanaaz

• 2 Oct 2011 Grace said

Default_avatar

Hello,
    The flight is about 5 hrs from Perth to KL and then we transfer and from KL to London it is around 13 hrs 30 minutes more! so it is defiantly a long way!

I not sure if I will sight see the first day it depends on how I am feeling. I presume I will sight see but just take it easy.
    I will be seeing- London Tower, London Bridge, London Eye, Parliament, Madam Tussuad, British museum, Westminster Abby, Windsor castle, St Paul’s Cathedral, Like to go to Bath for the day, go to a few theater productions. Shopping on Oxford street, see the Stonehenge.
    So much to do!

Are you going to be sight seeing the first day or take it easy?

Grace

• 11 Oct 2011 Erika said

Default_avatar

Hiii,

Times getting closer to the trip. I unfortunately arrive the afternoon before the tour begins so i think i might rest up and do some London Sight seeing on the return.

I wanted to ask, what kind of clothes are you guys thinking of wearing around the swiss alps? I am a bit unsure in terms of footwear if its snowing.

Erika

• 12 Oct 2011 ShazB said

ShazB

Hello :-)

Unfortunately I’m not extending my stay so I’ll only have the 1 day in London. Will have 2 get as much done as I can. All the sightseeing u mentioned Grace sounds awesome. But I guess I’ll have to chose. I have been to London ages ago so I have seen most of the sights.

Erika I feel very cold & cold feet are the worst. My siblings went to Europe last year Dec & they said takkies are not good for that weather as ur feet feel cold & wet all the time. I therefore got myself a pair of Hi-tec waterproof shoes which I plan on wearing most of the time. Clothes wise I got one of those really warm, waterproof jackets. And then layer on as much as I can with fleece clothing.

I’m also thinking of carrying a pair of boots for when we going somewhere fancy. Just not sure what clothes to back for night outs. Really warm clothings is just not stylish lol

What about u guys?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.