Community_discussions_small  

Question

Cards or Cash in Greece + Greek Islands ?

14 Aug 2011 lau.dee asked

lau.dee

Hey Guys,
Just wondering with the current economic situation of Greece at the moment, whether it is better to carry cash to pay for meals and things or are credit/debit visa cards okay ? I have been told a lot of places will not accept credit cards at all ? And also are there lots of ATMs to access cash in the Greek Islands ?
Thanks a million
Lauren xx

• 16 Aug 2011 Jenny said

Default_avatar

I’m curious too. I’m not bringing too much cash, I’d rather use my cards.
    When are you going Lauren? I’m doing the Spotlight on Greece + Island tour on August 22nd.

• 16 Aug 2011 Chris said

Default_avatar

Hey,

I´m also going to Greece in September! I live in Europe and I´ve been to Greece some years ago.It is good to have a credit for an emergeny case, but
    it is definitely better to carry cash with you and I suggest you just to carry bank notes from € 5 to € 50, especially when you want to buy some food, because it can happen that they can´t change money when you pay by a € 100 bank note! And everything over a € 200 bank note is not necessary….

I wish you a pleasant trip

Greetings

• 16 Aug 2011 lau.dee said

lau.dee

Hi Jenny ! Looks like i will be bring a mixture of cards and cash just to be safe. I am doing the Greek Island Hopping Tour 8th-20th Sept. Hope you have a great trip also !
    Hi Explorer121172 thanks so much for your comment it is really helpful and one less thing to worry about ! I will definately be taking your advice and carrying the 5-50 euro notes as well as credit card for back up. Hope you have a fantastic trip also !
    Lauren xx

• 17 Aug 2011 Chris said

Default_avatar

I wish you also a fantastic trip! Enjoy…

Chris xx

• 3 Mar 2012 Reka803 said

Reka803

I am going island hopping at the end of July, looks like i will bring cash. thanks for the topic.;)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion