Community_discussions_small  

Question

Sydney New Year's 2011

14 Aug 2011 Alex asked

Alex

Is anyone doing the Sydney New Years tour that starts on 30 December 2011? I'm thinking about doing it, but haven't found any reviews of that tour. If anyone's done Sydney New Year's with Contiki, please share your trip review! Thanks!

• 15 Aug 2011 Jodi said

Jodi

I’m signed up for this tour, then Beaches and Reefs starting Jan 2nd. Looking forward to it!! I haven’t seen any reviews either, but I’m sure Sydney for New Years will be amazing!

• 17 Aug 2011 Alex said

Alex

I’m planning on doing the 5-day City to Surf tour starting December 25th and ending on the 29th at Surfer’s Paradise, then head back to Sydney for New Year’s. So looking forward to it, too!

• 17 Aug 2011 Alex said

Alex

Is anyone planning on staying around in Sydney after the Sydney New Year’s tour ends? I’m planning on heading home on Friday, January 6th, so I have a few extra days that I haven’t yet decided what to do about!

• 21 Aug 2011 KrisztinaMelindaPax said

KrisztinaMelindaPax

Glad you’re excited about seeing my fair city for New Years, but just a word of advise: it gets ridiculously crowded in the city due to the fireworks. There are places in the city (ie, nightclubs) that are open and have spectacular views of the harbour, but you need to book your spot first and spend quiet a lot of money to get in. Or, if you’re really brave enough, fight for a spot in Botanical Gardens and be rewarded with a fireworks display that will blow your mind! (I’m not necessarily saying that because I’m a Sydney-sider) Also, keep in mind that security during New Years and the days leading up to it, are absolutely ridiculous. Hope that helped at least a little bit and I hope that you enjoy my fair country as much as I love living in it :)

• 26 Aug 2011 Explorer1278921 said

Default_avatar

This is my first year in Sydney and I have been told the new year’s eve fireworks display over Sydney Harbour is a must see.
    HCG Activator

• 1 Sep 2011 Explorer1239744 said

Default_avatar

Hi jodi and anyone else doing this tour. I’m Emily, 31 yrs old from England. I’ve booked onto the sydney new year trip and then the reefs and rainforest tour starting on 2nd jan 2012 from Sydney. I am very excited but also little worried that the new year trip is still not a definate departure. I have booked myself into a hostel just in case contiki cancel the trip to ensure I’ve defo got accomodation for the new year. I would love to get in contact with anyone who is doing the same tours as myself.

• 1 Sep 2011 Jodi said

Jodi

Hi Emily. I think your reefs and rainforest tour is the same as my beaches and reefs, but I end in Cairns 2 days earlier while you continue onto the rainforest. I’m starting that on the 2nd as well so I’m pretty sure ours tours will start together. Feel free to add me on Facebook – jodih@hotmail.com

• 14 Oct 2011 Explorer1153079 said

Default_avatar

Hello everyone!
    I’m Robert from Perth! and I have booked the Sydney NYE tour, starting on 30th December. For those of you doing to tour, there is a cruise included so we get the best view of the fireworks, and a DJ tour.

• 14 Oct 2011 Explorer1153079 said

Default_avatar

There is no reason why Contiki should cancel the tour. Wait until the end of November and December, the tour should be fully booked by then. Still early days.

• 19 Oct 2011 Explorer1239744 said

Default_avatar

Hiya Robert, great to hear your on this tour too, are you on facebook as we have set up a group so we can keep in touch?

• 19 Oct 2011 Explorer1153079 said

Default_avatar

Hello Emily! I’m struggling to find the Facebook page, do you have a link?
    Hopefully more than 5 people will be going on the tour, it’s still listed as available.
    Can’t wait for Sydney, it’s my first visit to this city, and will be staying for 3 more post-tour days after the tour.

Default_avatar

Hiya Robert, if you add me, Emily Sheppard as a friend, I can then add you to the group :-)

Default_avatar

Thanks for replying. It’s so exciting! now I can look forward to NYE, I was in Perth last year and it wasn’t exciting enough, so this year will be entertaining in Sydney, and the world media is there watching. Hopefully there will be free outdoor entertainment, I heard Wynter Gordon is singing at the Opera house. BIG DAY OUT! and other music festivals during January. TRIPLE SHARE! accommodation! it’s a great way to meet people. YES! I will add you Emily and Jodi too.

Default_avatar

OMG! I just searched you on FB Emily and there are so many Emily Sheppard doppelgangers. Which one are you? there is like 20 or more Emily Sheppard’s on FB, it’s funny.

Default_avatar

Oooo, didn’t know my name was so popular, ok, what’s your surname, I’ll try searching for you.

• 19 Oct 2011 Jodi said

Jodi

Hi Robert, if you add me, I have Emily on my list, I can suggest her as a friend to you.

Jodi

Default_avatar

Hello Jodi I will send you an email, there are so many Jodi’s on FBook. Hello! Emily! my surname is Grbavac, difficult to spell and pronounce.

Default_avatar

Hello Jodi! I just sent you an email.

Is anyone staying an extra day or two after the 2nd of January. I have booked three post tour nights at the Metro Hotel, there are two different hotels, but the one I got is 3 and a half stars with a rooftop sundeck and pool. YES! very posh! DON’T FORGET PEOPLE! On 30th and 31st Dec, both those days are NORMAL trading hours shops are open.

Some other hotels such as the Rendezvous and Marque are so expensive during the New Year period, so I can only afford 3 and a half stars luxury.

On Sun 1st and Mon 2nd Jan, those are PUBLIC HOLIDAYS! yay! but some shops and museums might be closed during these two days.

This is why I’m staying longer because from the 3rd Jan onwards back to normal retail trading resumes. I’m also reading my Sydney Lonely Planet guide every night, it’s great bedtime reading to study the city and where and what to explore.
    Definetely going shopping to kickstart the New Year, will visit the Adidas megastore and Apple Store, and all the other shops that don’t exist in Perth.

Does anyone know what the OPTIONAL excursions are? I’m doing the BRIDGECLIMB! can’t wait! Can’t wait to see all the Opera house for the first time in my life and the fireworks on the 31st, I heard they are breathtaking to watch!

Default_avatar

Hmmm, ok there are a few people with your name too, my piccy is quite dark (need to change it) and I have a window and a tv behind me. If you still can’t find me, try through jodi’s e-mail :-)

• 19 Oct 2011 Jodi said

Jodi

Yeah Robert, just search on FB using my e-mail address – it is posted above.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.