Community_discussions_small  

Question

LAX 2hr stopover enough time?

20 Aug 2011 likeaflower asked

likeaflower

Anyone had experience transferring flights at LAX to NYC?

My Qantas flight arrives at LAX int'l terminal B, then my connecting domestic flight leaves 2 hrs later from T4. Both flights are booked on the same ticket. Will I have to collect my baggage and clear customs/immigration at LAX or go straight to T4, or do I go through immigration in NYC? The int'l terminal and T4 are next to each other.

If so, can one get through customs at LAX in 2 hours?

Thanks!!

• 21 Aug 2011 Anne said

Default_avatar

There is a lane for connecting flights in less than 2 hours, so you will be able to use that.
    I don’t know what you do or don’t have to go through but since it is booked on the same ticket you can assume that your bags would be checked through, and even if you miss your connecting flight they would put you on the next available flight

• 21 Aug 2011 likeaflower said

likeaflower

^ Oh thank you, good to know about the express lane!

• 29 Mar 2012 Taylormac said

Taylormac

i have this issue on my flight to NYC too from AUS. my travel agent said basically what Anne said above, if your on a connecting flight and you miss it with qantas because of having to pick up your luggage and go back through they will put you on the next flight. so thats lucky!

• 9 Apr 2012 likeaflower said

likeaflower

To follow up – I found 2 hours plenty of time, but my terminals were right next to each other. I didn’t see a 2 hours express lane, but a good chunk of the people on my flight were boarding the NYC flight as well. (It was booked as a through ticket, Qantas & American Airlines have an alliance – so maybe look into booking it that way).

• 10 Apr 2012 Taylormac said

Taylormac

what did they do in that stop over? did you have to pick your bags up and re check in? etc

• 10 Apr 2012 likeaflower said

likeaflower

Yes, exactly. Even if there was a hold up (delayed plane, etc), I think that the AA flight would’ve waited because of the alliance – majority of passengers are shared and it wouldn’t be worth them leaving without them. I recommend booking your flight as a through ticket, if you haven’t already.

• 10 Apr 2012 Taylormac said

Taylormac

yeh i think mine are booked straight through also. thanks =]

• 11 Apr 2012 cdm115 said

cdm115

It looks like the minimum time at LAX is 2 hours. http://airtravel.about.com/od/airports/a/mincnxktoz.htm

As for planes waiting. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. If your flight is on the same ticket then the airline knows you’re coming. If there are a lot of people on the flight they are more likely to wait. However, if the connecting flight is overbooked, they may not wait and put you on another flight.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.