Community_discussions_small  

Question

The easy rider 26th June 2012??

21 Aug 2011 StephJ07 asked

StephJ07

Hey guys!
Im just about to book and pay for my trip next year, the easy rider on the 26th June 2012. Anyone else looking at or are doing this tour? its my 21st bday present to myself and my 1st major trip overseas by myself! I kno its still ages away but im really excited! =D any advice?

• 30 Aug 2011 Nicholaso8 said

Nicholaso8

Hey! I plan on going on this tour aswell! Very excited to see all of the places that the tour goes to! 4 nights on a greek island just sounds amazing! It will be my first tour too, are you going with friends or by yourself? It will be a fantastic way to spend your 21st!

• 30 Aug 2011 StephJ07 said

StephJ07

yay! 1st person i’ve found! haha I thought I wouldnt find anyone for a few months yet. I know I cant wait for all of it! Im heading to greece after the trip to check out some of the main land and a couple more islands before I come home since im all the way over there. Im going by myself =D what about you?? where are you from?

• 30 Aug 2011 Sheena said

Default_avatar

my boyfriend and I are going on this tour as well but we leave on July 11!!

• 31 Aug 2011 Nicholaso8 said

Nicholaso8

Haha, I guess we are just as keen as eachother then! That would be amazing to spend more time in Greece, I would love to see Athens and in summer it would just be paradise. I am coming over with a few friends but lately they have got cold feet about it and arn’t sure if they want to, if that is the case I will be a solo traveller aswell! I am from Sydney, Australia. How about you? :D

• 16 Oct 2011 Jen said

Jen

I just got back from my 2nd contiki, but started looking at this one bc it hits so many more places I want to go and definitely the ones that I want to go back to…I’m a little worried about the camping though! I like that people all already signed up for this date though! No one is signed up for the date I was looking at! Decisions decisions!

• 17 Oct 2011 Nicholaso8 said

Nicholaso8

I have heard from my friends that did a camping tour that the first couple of days are the hardest but then you become used to it. The positives of camping is that it forces you to be out and meeting everyone in your group because no one will really be hanging around in their tents all the time. I think this date is the only definite departure at the moment for 2012 so you should book this date haha. Where have you been on your other tours?

• 19 Oct 2011 Jen said

Jen

Yeah I’m sure the first few days would be the worst, but it would def be better for getting to know everyone :) I just got back from Simply Italy and I also did the London & Paris tour over new years last year. My last one we had sleepovers all the time, room hopping definitely happened frequently and we slept on the bus. The front desk people in the hotels hated us, we got complaints a lot! The hotels in Europe aren’t that great anyways that they put you in and I’m sure an air mattress would be a step up from some of the beds!

• 19 Oct 2011 Nicholaso8 said

Nicholaso8

Haha! never thought it would be that bad! being a uni student I see it as my only proper option to see Europe for a decent amount of time! This date is pretty good because it will be in the middle of summer over there and its also cheaper than the July dates :] so I think you should definitely do it! I would love to hear your stories from previous contiki tours also!

• 20 Oct 2011 StephJ07 said

StephJ07

deffinitly do this one!! the best people will be on this tour!! =D so excited! i dont see the point in paying a few extra grand to stay in a hotel wen all its for is sleeping, plus like Nick said it forces you to get out of your “room” and get to know people more =D would love to do more after this one

• 31 Oct 2011 Jen said

Jen

Yeah absolutely, we room hopped so much that the rooms were pointless! I graduate in May so it really depends on what happens with jobs :( 6 years of college makes it a little more difficult to put off working for much longer! But this is definitely my first choice! :) I have so many stories lol but I will start by asking if you guys have anything you want to know?! Florence is amazing, you are going to love it!

• 4 Nov 2011 StephJ07 said

StephJ07

oooh I cant wait for Italy!! umm I want to know everything haha, any tips you can give would be awesome =D

• 5 Nov 2011 Jen said

Jen

My top recommendations for females would be baby wipes and dry shampoo! You spend a lot of time on the bus and sometimes you don’t have much time to get ready before you go out between the time you arrive at your destination and when dinner is or when you want to go out, especially with so many people on a camping tour! Not only that if you have flip flops and such your legs and feet are going to get ridiculous dirty, our feet and legs were black in Italy. We used a massive amount of baby wipes! It’s good before you go into restaurants and such because a lot of times you don’t want to go in to eat dinner when you are still disgusting from running around the cities all day and you don’t get to go back and change or freshen up at all! Basically anything you can bring to minimize the time it will take you to get ready is advisable. We walked so much that eventually we were wearing tennis shoes with our dresses because our feet hurt so bad! Good walking shoes for sure! I wouldn’t bring anything that you wouldn’t want to lose. Things will inevitably get left and lost along the way! The locations they had for us to do laundry on ours only had 2 washers and 2 dryers so if you find somewhere and a lot of people aren’t doing it I would capitalize on that even if you aren’t quite ready to do laundry! We had people washing clothes in the beday because they weren’t able to use the laundry facility.(needless to say there are photos!) In Italy there is a service charge to sit down at restaurants, it’s 2-4 euros per person and it isn’t the tip for the server, be prepared for that because the majority of us were not and it was an added expense! As far as the internet, in Italy you don’t have access to it unless you pay and it is 4-8 euros an hour so if you plan on bringing a laptop be prepared for that as well. I’m not sure what the cost is in Paris in London (we had access in both of our hotels to the internet there) but there are internet cafes all over, you just have to pay by the hour (but then you will have your laptop or whatever in town with you all day!) Anywhere you go that has a metro, buy a day pass because it is only like 1.7 more than a one way pass and you will use it! Especially in London :) and it saves you a lot of time because there is so much to see! I definitely recommend figuring out what you want to see in each city before you go otherwise you waste time trying to figure that out when you are there and in some places you don’t have much time!

• 6 Nov 2011 AmyD said

Default_avatar

Booked this tour yesterday. Can’t wait. It’s also my first visit to europe! :)

• 6 Nov 2011 AmyD said

Default_avatar

Just booked this tour yesterday. very excited! It will be my first time in Europe too, can’t wait :D

• 6 Nov 2011 Nicholaso8 said

Nicholaso8

Yay! Another contiki family member! :) where are you from?

• 7 Nov 2011 Tamara24 said

Tamara24

Hey guys. Come onto the FB group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/251495824897690/

Contiki – Easy Rider 26th June 2012

:)

• 11 Nov 2011 Jen said

Jen

Okay if I could reccomend anything right now it would be to track the price of the Euro and how many places on this tour will use it if you are 100% going. Last month when I was there it was 1.40 for every US dollar and it was about the same when I was in Paris last year as well. Yesterday it was .73. I would definitely buy some from your bank if you are going once you notice the price start increasing! Keep in mind you tip your driver and your tour manager $2 each a day for the trip and you end in the netherlands and they use the euro, this is a good time to save money :) It adds up quickly!

• 12 Nov 2011 AmyD said

Default_avatar

Added the fb group :) im from central coast australia, where is everyone else from?

• 2 Dec 2011 JadeLeanne said

JadeLeanne

me and my boyfriend have booked this trip, our first time to europe, so excited !

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion