Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Greek Island Hopping Hotels

11 Feb 2010 Ryan said

Ryan
Hey,

So I booked a Greek Island Hopping trip for August and saw that the hotel you stay in when you're in Athens is the Dorion Inn Hotel. I went to trip advisor to see what it was like and pretty much every review said it was in a VERY sketchy area and pretty much said to never go out at night in the area.

For anyone that's been, is it really that bad? I wouldn't think that Contiki would make people stay in a really bad area of the city.
  • 12 Feb 2010 Jessica said

Default_avatar

I have not personally stayed at this hotel, but I have a friend who lives in Athens and I was in Athens this past summer. The location of the Dorion Inn Hotel is in one of the not so nice locations of Athens. When they had the riots in Athens last year it took place right around this area. When I was there last summer my friend took me to the National Archaeological Museum which is 2 miles away and you could still see remnants of the riots. We also took the Metro from Omonia Square and outside of the station there are shady people all around.
    As far as going out in Athens at night, you probably don’t want to stay out too late as Athens at night is not a safe place. Again coming from my friend who is 6’7 and 250 lbs he avoids going out past 12 because of the people who come out at night.
    Athens is a great place to visit though, so do not be discouraged to go. Also Contiki tends to change their hotels, so you may not even be staying at the Dorion Inn. Have a fun trip!

• 16 Feb 2010 Pepperony9 said

Pepperony9

Kimberly30-

I’m interested in the Greek Island Hopping tour. What did you think of it? What were the best and worsts parts?

• 19 Feb 2010 ChrisSoll48 said

Default_avatar

Ryan,

I stayed in the Dorain Inn last year. It was fine. They even have a roof bar with a beautiful view of the Acropolis. Yes, it is not in the best area, but I wouldn’t be worried. It is in a central location about 200 ft from the metro. Enjoy your trip!

• 20 Feb 2010 Pepperony9 said

Pepperony9

Kimberley30- Thanks so much for the feedback. I’m looking forward to it even more now!

• 23 Feb 2010 Ryan said

Ryan

Thanks for the help everyone! I know it’ll be an amazing time and it’s not that was overly worried, just more curious than anything.

• 24 Feb 2010 Pepperony9 said

Pepperony9

Ryan- When in August will you be in Greece?

• 24 Feb 2010 Ryan said

Ryan

I’m going on the trip starting on August 7th but i’m going to be staying in Athens for an extra day before and after. It’s going to be my second tour and I can’t wait!

• 25 Feb 2010 Edgar said

Default_avatar

Went on this trip last year and just had the time of my life. I def would do this tour again…if y’all have any questions, please ask away.

• 25 Feb 2010 Pepperony9 said

Pepperony9

This will be my first tour with Contiki and first time in Greece. Let me know if you have any tips on what to see and do or what to avoid.

• 28 Feb 2010 Edgar said

Default_avatar

Hey peperony9,

You are going to have the time of your life on this tour. I’m jealous! anyways there isn’t really anything you should avoid. The only regret i had was getting really drunk then have to take a ferry to the other isles. The ferry rides aren’t the best but once you’re on the islands all i did was party. You will have the time of your life!

• 10 Mar 2010 beebay11 said

Default_avatar

No way, it’s not sketchy at all. We went out when we were there! You’re only there for a few nights anyhow, Athens itself was not my favorite part of the trip…mostly because we were there during a heat wave (forty five degrees!) so we stuck by the pool during the day. It’s a hot and stuffy city but just you wait, once you get to those islands… woowie you don’t even know what’s coming! Talk about stunning hotels, I expected the hotels to be comfortable but they greatly exceeded all expectations. The views alone are to die for. You’re going to have such a good time! I’m very jealous!

• 11 Mar 2010 ShannonJ said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by beebay11:
    No way, it’s not sketchy at all. We went out when we were there! You’re only there for a few nights anyhow, Athens itself was not my favorite part of the trip…mostly because we were there during a heat wave (forty five degrees!) so we stuck by the pool during the day. It’s a hot and stuffy city but just you wait, once you get to those islands… woowie you don’t even know what’s coming! Talk about stunning hotels, I expected the hotels to be comfortable but they greatly exceeded all expectations. The views alone are to die for. You’re going to have such a good time! I’m very jealous!

What time of the year did you go?

• 19 Jul 2011 bcoopy9 said

Default_avatar

How are the hotels on the islands….im 34F and did the contiki magic 10 years ago. Im def a little high maintenance but the experience and fun i had were worth the 9what i thought)crappy hotels. Are they near the beaches? Maybe im too old but i still party like i did at 21!! lol

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.