Community_discussions_small  

Question

Join a hostel organization for continued travel?

14 Jan 2007 maddiebala asked

Default_avatar
Hey all! I am doing the reefs and rainforests tour starting Jan. 29 in Cairns. After the tour, I have left two weeks free to continue traveling alone or with friends I meet along the way. I read in an australia guidebook about hostel organizations that offer discounts on hostels, airfare, and busfair. Are these worth joining? I read about three - VIP Backpacker Resorts, Nomads Backpackers, and the YHA (International Youth Hoste Federation). Any suggestions on what I should do or which (if any) I should join to get the best deals on my two weeks after the tour?
  • 29 Jan 2007 Jackie22 said

Default_avatar

HI there

I also had the same question, and I decided to joing YHA since its hostels are the only ones that meet International Hostelling standards. If you are not from Australia, go to www.hihostels.com and get a membership from your home country, which gives you equivalent privelleges to a YHA membership.

I would say it’s worthwhile. Around $35 for a year’s memberhsip and it has many benefits, including saving around $3-$4 per night at YHA hostels.

Have a GREAT trip,

Jackie

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion