Community_discussions_small  

Question

Whose going on the European Whirl 29-Apr-2012????

1 Sep 2011 Julee asked

Default_avatar

Hi guys,

I have just booked and paid for the concept European Whirl Tour on the 29th of April 2012. Since im booking it so in advance obviously i have no idea whether it will be a definate departure or not. I REALLY hope it is!!! Who else is going on this date?

Cant wait :)

Julie

• 6 Feb 2012 Gareth1343827 said

Gareth1343827

Hey,
    www.28degreescard.com.au ….

Its a credit card that doesn’t incur any international transaction fee’s, No currency conversion fees, No overseas cash withdrawal fees. Its free, so no annual charge and Its definitely worth checking out. I plan on loading it up with some cash first so I’m using my own money for bigger purchases and don’t have to carry so much cash. The interest rate isn’t fantastic, but there is 55 days interest free period on purchases only, not cash advances. I don’t plan on using it as a traditional credit card. So that doesn’t matter so much.

Regular home bank cards & credit cards incur heaps of fees, usually a foreign transaction fee, plus withdrawal fee etc etc.. Check with your bank what these fee’s are. Cash passport cards charge you a percentage to load cash onto the card, and then a percentage of every transaction.

Everyone will carry cash, and a money belt is a must for this and your passport. Pickpockets are pro’s, and minimising any theft is always in your best interests…

• 6 Feb 2012 Gareth1343827 said

Gareth1343827

Also, to those thinking about memory cards, don’t forget a spare battery too. You may not always have a chance to charge your camera up in a hostel room shared by 4 people all wanting to use the one or two power points in the room. I’ve heard that some of the Contiki buses do have power points available.

Their power is the same voltage as ours, your just going to need an adaptor to change the plug type to UK and EU.

• 7 Feb 2012 Namesake said

Namesake

Thanks for the 411, Gareth. I’ll check out that 28 Degrees card soon-ish.

Benjamin

• 7 Feb 2012 Katie said

Default_avatar

Very informative Gareth – thanks!

There’s only 2 months and 20 days to go :D

• 9 Feb 2012 Explorer1353202 said

Default_avatar

For those of you that are going a day ahead to sight-see. .What are some of things you have in mind to see and do ???

• 9 Feb 2012 Explorer1305880 said

Default_avatar

I want to try and go on the London Eye, depending on how long the line is. I would love to see Buckingham Palace and maybe a changing of the guards there depending on what time of day we got around to there. My parents got me a travel guide of London for christmas so I have just been going through there and putting tabs on a bunch of things that sound interesting. It also has a map of London in it so I’ll be bringing it along! My parents have told me that it would be probably be best to go on a Double Decker bus tour and see everything and then decide from there which places you want to see more of.

• 9 Feb 2012 Explorer1353202 said

Default_avatar

awesome!! sounds good… Iam also looking into different things as well!

• 9 Feb 2012 Katie said

Default_avatar

That sounds awesome. I haven’t had a chance to look into what I want to see yet – I was just kinda going with the flow and was going to decide once I got there…maybe I should look into it.

• 13 Feb 2012 Explorer1353202 said

Default_avatar

Question for everyone…

For the optional events throughout the tour, Do we need to preplan these or are they optional as we arrive at that particular location??

Also we just pay for those when we get there.. correct?

• 13 Feb 2012 Julee said

Default_avatar

hey guys, optionals are booked on tour from the tour director if he isnt offering an optional that you want, he will definately help you organise one through a third party. I work in this industry so if you have any q’s feel free to ask :-D ill try and respond as quick as i can.

So excited!!!!!! 2 months and 15 days to go :) :)

Julee

• 13 Feb 2012 Julee said

Default_avatar

also you pay for them on tour :)

• 13 Feb 2012 Explorer1353202 said

Default_avatar

is is like a first come first serve… or everyone on the tour has the option when they arrive at that particular destination.??

• 14 Feb 2012 Julee said

Default_avatar

it is for everyone…. sometimes though, if not enough people book on to an optional it may not go ahead but then the tour director can help you make other arrangements. This is only for some of the optionals as they require more than a few people to go ahead otherwise most optionals should be fine.

• 14 Feb 2012 Explorer1353202 said

Default_avatar

ok thanks a bunch julie!! very helpful!

• 14 Feb 2012 Gareth1343827 said

Gareth1343827

In response to Explorer1305880.

I lived in London for about a year and half, and anyone thinking of sight seeing in London before the Contiki tour I can highly recommend the “Hop On Hop Off” and “Big Red Bus”… Both are bus tours that go around London’s major tourist attractions. Average at 25GBP for a day, You can do a drive by visit of the attractions or jump off and spend a bit of time at each.

Alternatively, for the energetic…. You can walk between most of the major London landmarks in a day.
    Its mostly flat and you’ll see just as much. Plan out a circular route with the help of a map and off you go.
    Best thing is, its free…

Something to keep in mind as well the London Underground Tube Map is pretty deceiving, most of the stations in Central London are actually quite close to each other. So walking is a great way to orientate yourself, cause “The Tube” makes you feel like Alice In Wonderland, down one rabbit hole and out another….

• 19 Feb 2012 Hamishwilson said

Hamishwilson

Hey everyone,

Im also booked on this tour, Im from nelson, New Zealand

Hamish

• 19 Feb 2012 Katie said

Default_avatar

Welcome Hamish. :)

So I was looking into the flights and sadly, it does not look like I can get on the flight with you Vanessa. Since when I booked my trip, I also booked the flight so now I can’t change that :/

• 20 Feb 2012 Explorer1305880 said

Default_avatar

Oh no! That’s sad :( When is your flight? Will you still be getting a day early?

• 20 Feb 2012 marijadobrota said

marijadobrota

Me and my sister booked our trip few days ago! Very excited to see you all!

• 24 Feb 2012 Tom said

Tom

Woohoo, glad I found this thread! I’m on this tour too!
    I’m Tom from Perth, Australia

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion