Community_discussions_small  

Question

Who will be in Sydney for NYE?

5 Sep 2011 Pamela asked

Default_avatar

I am booked on the Beaches and Reefs Tour departing Sydney on 2nd January 2012. I will arrive in Sydney on Friday 30th December (if not before; still to book flights) but have not yet got plans for New Years' Eve. I am travelling on my own so am keen to meet up with fellow contiki-ers before the trip for some pre-tour sightseeing and New Year celebrations! Hope to hear from others on this tour soon...!

• 6 Sep 2011 Explorer1239744 said

Default_avatar

Hi pamela, I’m Emily from the uk. I’m doing the reefs and rainforests tour from Sydney on 2nd jan so will be on the same trip as you. I’m also doing the new years Sydney trip, you should do that one too. I arrive in Sydney on the 28th dec, as I thought I might need a couple of days to get over the jet lag. What country are you from?

• 6 Sep 2011 Pamela said

Default_avatar

Hi Emily! Where in the UK are you from? I am in Cambridge now but originally from Scotland. Spending New Years Eve on a boat on Sydney harbour would be an awesome experience, one you’ll never forget, but I don’t feel I can justify spending nearly £800 on a tour which lasts less than 72 hours! There are so many things I want to do and places I want to see while I am in Aus, that I need to make sacrifices somewhere…. :-(. Keep in touch and I’ll see you in December.

• 7 Sep 2011 TEA54!! said

TEA54!!

Hi Pamela & Emily!!
    I’m Nance from Brisbane. I have a friend (who i met on my last Contiki tour in Las Vegas) coming over from Scotland for NYE – then we are embarking on the Coast to Whitsunday tour starting 2nd Jan.

We should be in Sydney for NYE!

You will have a blast. No need to worry about travelling alone. I did last year & it’s a blast!!

• 7 Sep 2011 Explorer1239744 said

Default_avatar

Hi pamela
    Great to hear back from you. I’m from Exeter in Devon. It is a lot of money for the new year tour but I looked at other accomodation and all the hostels seem to be booked up, and hotels are pretty much on a par with the tour cost anyway so decided to go for it.
    Great to hear from you too Nance, I think we will be on the same tour too ; ]

• 8 Sep 2011 Pamela said

Default_avatar

I called Contiki yesterday but because I booked my trip through The Flight Centre, I also need to book pre- and post-tour accommodation through the Travel Agent. I am waiting to hear whether it is possible for me to stay at the Holiday Inn, Potts Point. Had you already looked into this, Emily, when you decided to book the NYE tour? I looked at alternative accommodation in Sydney… and 4 nights is going to cost me at least £1000 (as you said all hostel and budget accommodation seems to have gone). Suddenly £785 with the NYE party thrown in does not sound too bad. Just means I have to forego a social life here for the next 4 months! I’ll wait and see what the travel agent comes back with…

• 8 Sep 2011 Explorer1239744 said

Default_avatar

I haven’t spoken to contiki about other accomodation. That’s a great idea though.I started looking for accomodation back in February and all the good hostels were all booked up even back then. I did look at trying to get a room at the holiday inn through their own hotel website but that was saying it was full over new year. In the end I booked myself a room at a hotel ( bayview boulevard ) for my first 2 nights in Sydney (28th/29th dec) because I wanted to have my own room to sleep off the jet lag, and i searched for ages for hostels and managed to book myself a bed at bounce hostel just in case the contiki new years trip is cancelled (it’s still not showing as a definate departure) but bounce is very basic so I’m really hoping the contiki trip goes ahead. Like you have found the alternative is £1000+ for a hotel room. My other plan is that if the contiki trip is cancelled then the rooms we would have had for the duration of the trip will become vacant and I can ask contiki if I can still have the accomodation. Hope this helps ; ]

• 2 Oct 2011 Explorer1296850 said

Default_avatar

Hi all,
    I’m also doing the new years Sydney trip. I arrive in Sydney on the 28th dec. I booked two extra nights at the Holiday Inn, Potts Point through my Travel Agent.
    Just check the contiki page today……. and it’s showing as a definite departure! :)
    Daniel

• 3 Oct 2011 Explorer1239744 said

Default_avatar

Hiya Daniel,
    That’s fab, what country are you from? I arrive in Sydney on the 28th December too but am spending my first 2 nights at a different hotel. I am so excited now the trip is a definate departure. Are you on facebook.?Pamela and I are keeping in touch on facebook already and have started a group for us to keep in touch. You can find me under Emily Sheppard. Would be great to hear from you so we can add you to the group.

• 3 Oct 2011 Pamela said

Default_avatar

I have created a Facebook group (called Contiki Australia, January 2012) for the following trips:

• Sydney New Year
    • Reefs & Rainforests (start Sydney 2nd January)
    • Beaches & Reefs (start Sydney 2nd January)
    • Coast & Whitsundays (start Sydney 2nd January)
    • Cairns Sunshine Trail (start Surfers Paradise 4th January)
    • Island & Rainforest (start The Whitsundays 9th January)
    • Magical Tropics (start The Whitsundays 9th January)."
  • 3 Oct 2011 Explorer1296850 said

Default_avatar

Hi Emily,
    Great to hear from you. I’m from Switzerland. Talk to you on Facebook soon.

• 10 Oct 2011 Alex said

Alex

Hey all, I’m Alex from Vancouver, Canada. I’m doing the 5-day City to Surf tour starting December 25th, then flying back to Sydney for the New Year’s tour, then staying there for an extra 3 days afterwards and hopefully meeting up with some former Contiki tour mates! I’m stoked that Sydney New Year’s is now a guaranteed departure, and I’m totally looking forward to THE BEST NEW YEAR’S EVER!!! =D

• 19 Oct 2011 Explorer1153079 said

Default_avatar

Hello Canadia! and others! I’m Robert travelling solo from Perth and have just booked the Sydney 4 Day NYE Tour starting on 30th Dec, 2011. Do you have a link for the NYE Sydney FBook page? I’m so excited about my first visit to Sydney! I also visited Toronto in Canada, back in August. I’m a big Contiki tour company fan, have previously done a solo European Discovery 12 day tour back in 2009, plus New York and L.A short tours back in August, it was unforgettable, loved exploring America, Canada and Europe.

YES! I’m also staying for 3 post tour accommodation nights, on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th January at the Metro Hotel, but not at Holiday Inn. I’m looking at other 3 and half star hotel preferably with a rooftop pool and spa. Holiday Inn charge a $160 single room charge post-tour, not bad price for the busy New Year holiday period.

• 20 Oct 2011 TEA54!! said

TEA54!!

I wish I had a Facebook account!! I will just have to keep an eye on things from here.
    I am super excited! Less than 3 months to go for me!!

• 22 Oct 2011 Veronica said

Veronica

Hi Everyone,
    I just booked myself on the Sydney New Years Tour, sooo excited! I’m from Canada and it will be my first trip to Australia. Wondering if someone can help me get connected with the Facebook group set up for our tour?
    Thanks,
    Veronica

• 22 Oct 2011 Explorer1239744 said

Default_avatar

Hi Veronica, great to hear you are on the new years tour, if you let me know your surname and some info so I can tell which is your facebook profile piccy I will add you as a friend and also to the group. Emily :-)

• 22 Oct 2011 Alex said

Alex

Hi Emily, please add me to the FB group, too! My name is Alex Eng… there’s so many ppl with the same name, so filter your search by location Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada… my profile pic is the one with me in T-shirt and shorts posing on a bus. =)

Hey Veronica… whereabouts in Canada are you from?

• 23 Oct 2011 Veronica said

Veronica

Hey Alex, I’m from a town about two hours from Toronto, its close to Waterloo (the home of RIM)

• 25 Oct 2011 StephOnnie1313 said

StephOnnie1313

Hi guys! I’m StephOnnie from USA Texas. I am actually on a tour that is ending in Sydney for NYE. Would love to connect and meet “familiar” faces for NYE! Since I arrive in Syndey on Dec 31st I won’t be able to do the Syndey tour. Anyone have any suggestions for a place to stay this late in the game? Mainly would prefer not to sleep on the streets for NYE, though I’m sure I’ll be up most of the night anyway. Worst case I could camp on the beach? :)

• 28 Oct 2011 Skeyter said

Skeyter

Hi Everyone, I have just booked the NYE trip and can’t wait! I’m originally from South Africa, but living in New Zealand now. This will be my first Contiki trip, but hopefully not my last. I thinks its an awesome way to experience new places and meet new ppl.

My name is Schalk Keyter (Not many like it), please add me to the FB group.

Cheers, See you guys soon ;-)

• 28 Oct 2011 Explorer1239744 said

Default_avatar

Hiya Schalk, really great to hear from you. I can add you to the group. How do I find you on facebook, I have seached under your name with no luck. Emily

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.