Community_discussions_small  

Question

To go alone or with friends??

8 Sep 2011 Mandy321 asked

Mandy321

Hey, i really want to go overseas again, but dont really have anyone to go with (friends cant afford it at the mo) I am considering going on a contiki by myself, but am not sure. Just wanted some advice/comments from people that have been by themselves before. I am pretty shy which is my main concern, it will certainly be out of my comfort zone to go alone. I have been to a contiki before with some friends and loved it so i definitely am considering going again. If anyone has any advice or has been on their own before would love to hear from you!! :) Mandy

• 8 Sep 2011 sparkyuk said

sparkyuk

done two tours alone and one tour with my sister and going to be doing 2 more tours later this year and just go for it and i know doing a tour alone is hard but i have mild autism and if i can do it u can ok and lots of peeps on contiki r solo aswell so do not worry about ok i hope that helps u mandy all the best from big ben the bear

• 8 Sep 2011 Christine said

Christine

Hi Mandy,
    I’ve been on two Contiki tours and both were by myself, and I’m about to go on my third one later this year also on my own…
    I’m also quite shy, but alot of people are in the same boat as you, travelling by themselves and everyone there is friendly and looking to make new friends! I’d def reccommend you go by yourself! You’ll still have a ball! :)

• 8 Sep 2011 sparkyuk said

sparkyuk

contiki is the best christine where u going i am going to new zealand again my tour starts in auckland on the 3/11/11 and then on the 18/11/11 i fly to south oz for 5 days rest at my brothers home and then doing a oz tour starting sydney 27/11/11 doing the tour with my sister

• 9 Sep 2011 Mandy321 said

Mandy321

Thank you so much everyone for your responses! I really appreciate it! I am def going ot consider going on my own! I know it will be hard, but it will be challenging and will get me out of my comfort zone. i think it will be good for me! Thanks again for your comments :)

• 9 Sep 2011 Christine said

Christine

Hi Sparky!
    I’m headed to New Zealand also but on the 3/12/11 til the 18/12/11 I’m so excited! Havent been to NZ yet :)

• 9 Sep 2011 sparkyuk said

sparkyuk

chistine u will love it done the tour 2 years ago and going back again going to be fun

• 10 Sep 2011 Tamara21 said

Tamara21

Hi,

I’m going on the LA explorer and LA to they Bay at beginning of Dec. None of my friends can afford it so I’ll be by myself. I have spoken to 2 other girls via the Contiki page on facebook, they are also going alone. So I think a lot of people go by themselves and are in the same boat as you!

• 27 Nov 2012 Adrian said

Adrian

Hi Mandy,

I am also planning to do a Euro Contiki alone in a couple of months time. Can you share your experience you had at the end of the day, as I am experiencing the same concern you had a year ago.

Thanks

• 27 Nov 2012 Mandy321 said

Mandy321

Hi Adrian,
    I had an amazing time on my contiki, and going by myself was a great experience. It boosted my confidence and got me out of my comfort zone. I was nervous leading up to the tour as I can be a bit shy in group situations but everyone was so friendly and nice, i made friends instantly. I definitely recommend it, it was so much fun!

Adrian

Thank you Mandy! Sorry I’m doing thorough research before I invest all this money :-) What I came across the different forums and blogs, is that the contiki is just a bunch of youngsters looking to get thrashed every night, without much site seeing, as you so exhausted of the previous night’s activities…in your opinion and experience, was this the case as well?

• 27 Nov 2012 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

That wasn’t the case on my tour at all. I think it really depends on the type of tour you go on though. Mine was a longer superior/time-out tour. Most of the people on my tour were older (mid to late 20s) compared to the other budget tours we ran into (late teens, early 20s). Since my tour was so long, there was no way you could go out an get trashed every night or you wouldn’t last until the end. We did a lot of site seeing, and did have our crazy nights out, but those were every second or third night.

Mandy321

Hi guys, my tour age group was early to mid 20s on average and im 28 ( was the second oldest!) Yes there were people that went out partying every night but cause there are 40+ people on your tour you are bound to find people that have similar interests to you. My 3 roommates all were simiar to me we liked to party a couple of nights but wanted to be fresh for the day time activities. We went out to dinner every night as a whole group then would usually go to a cocktail bar and then who ever wanted to stay on drinking would go to a couple of pubs. A lot of people generally decided to head back after a couple of drinks or do a bit of late night shopping as the boutiques are open late. My tour wasnt overly structured we got to have a lot of free time which was good! Which tour are you doing adrian?

Adrian

Thanks for your responses RJ1817 and Mandy, really appreciate it

I am doing the London to Rome tour (16 days) which is according to the contiki website more relaxed and easy paced. This is exactly what i am looking for. Don’t want to hop from city-to-city, and spend most of the time on the road. I’ll rather go and visit fewer countries, but do it thoroughly, and do what the locals do.

Hopefully I’ll meet up with people with similar interests, and motives for the tour.

• 27 Nov 2012 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

chances are you will. The only drinking advice I have for you is to not get trashed the night before a sight seeing day…haha

Adrian

Dont worry bud, I’ll lose my name…strategically ;-) I’ll work it into my itinerary haha

Mandy321

Yeah i think its a good idea to do a tour for a bit longer and with fewer countries. I did a 12 day tour the first time round and we went to 9 different places!!! (so bascially spent a lot of time on the bus!) The latest tour I did was the Greek Island Adventurer and we went to 3 different islands so it was a lot more relaxing! I hope you have a great time and meet lots of great people :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion