Community_discussions_small  

Question

Italian Espresso Nov 26-Dec 3

9 Sep 2011 DanniMarie27 asked

DanniMarie27

Is anyone else booked on this tour? I'm booking tomorrow, I can't wait! It will be my second time in Italy.

• 29 Sep 2011 Missy12345 said

Missy12345

I’m booked and I’m super excited! My first time to Italy and I’ve been wanting to go for years!

• 29 Sep 2011 DanniMarie27 said

DanniMarie27

I’m booked too! I can not WAIT. I went to Italy on another Contiki tour and LOVED it. Are you going alone or with someone else?
    -Danni

• 1 Oct 2011 Romie5678 said

Romie5678

Hi Danni and Missy – I’m also booked on this trip…..yeah!!!. This will be my first time in Italy. I am going alone.

• 2 Oct 2011 Missy12345 said

Missy12345

I’m going alone too. I’m starting to shop for new stuff for the trip. You guys know what shoes your gonna wear during the day?

• 2 Oct 2011 Romie5678 said

Romie5678

My high school friend lives in Rome and she mentioned that it will be cold and rainy during the timeframe of our trip. I guess we should have plenty of warm clothes and maybe rain boots.

• 2 Oct 2011 DanniMarie27 said

DanniMarie27

I land in Rome at around 2:00 Friday afternoon, what about you girls? I’m going alone as well. I did the Road to Rome tour by myself 2 summers ago and had a blast, I still speak to everyone from the tour. Have either of you ever done a Contiki tour?

I have starting shopping as well and I’ve definitely been getting warm things, but I’m used to the cold in the winter! I wasn’t planning on rain though, thanks for the tip! Now I have a reason to justify buying those Coach rainboots I’ve been drooling over for months ;^D

Where are you ladies from?

• 2 Oct 2011 Missy12345 said

Missy12345

I live in Cincinnati but am from NJ. This will be my first contiki. I also get in Friday at noon. Danielle are you staying at the same hotel Friday? I was thinking of trying a more central hotel. Are you guys going to get international cell phones? How old are you girls? I’m 27.

• 2 Oct 2011 Romie5678 said

Romie5678

I live in the Boston, MA area but I’m originally from California. This is also my first Contiki. I will arrive on Saturday around noon time. I am staying an extra night and will fly in and out of Rome. I just turned 30. I think it is a great idea to get an international phone. Maybe I’ll get one of those prepaid international cell phones for emergency calls. As for shoes, I’m planning on bringing a pair of comfortable walking shoes, some cute pumps, maybe rain boots and flip flops. Everytime I travel, my shoes take up half the luggage space. :}

Do you ladies know if there is a forum or others that are going on this trip? I’ve been checking out Contiki’s Facebook’s page and there is no mention of this trip. Maybe we just have to start one on FB.

• 2 Oct 2011 DanniMarie27 said

DanniMarie27

My last tour with Contiki there was no one else from the states, now there’s at least us 3 lol. I live in PA outside of Philly, and I’m 27 as well! I haven’t seen anything on FB either, but I know there’s at least 25 people on the trip otherwise they wouldn’t have made it a definite departure. Starting a page on facebook is a great idea.

Just what I’ve heard, a lot of people say an international phone is a waste unless you’re going to
    be there for more than a month. I have AT&T and I’m just going to call them later this month and add the plan I added before. I forget exactly what plan it is, but it’s an international calling plan and it’s about $15 a month. It drops the cost of all calls down to about three cents/minute or something like that. For the amount you’ll be using it to call it’s definitely cheaper than an internation phone. Once you get home you just call them back and have them take it off your plan so you only have to pay for it for the one month. Just a thought! I think my bill was about $30-$35 more than normal after my 2 week trip last time, and I was calling India, Greece, and the US while I was there.

I’ve been trying to think back to what I packed before so that I don’t over pack again lol. I ended up throwing out some things because I just didn’t have the space. I’ll never forget the advice I got on these forums before my last trip was lay out all of the clothes and all the money you want to take, pack half the clothes and double the money lol.

Have either of you ever traveled internationally before?

• 7 Oct 2011 Missy12345 said

Missy12345

Dani, where are you staying the first night you are in Rome? At the same hotel? Aee you taking the transfer from the airport?

• 7 Oct 2011 DanniMarie27 said

DanniMarie27

Missy, I’m staying @ the Hotel Del Corso. It’s a hotel on Via Del Corso, the main shopping street in the heart of Rome in-between Piazza Del Popolo and Piazza De Spagna. I believe I paid about $100USD on www.hotels.com. Totally worth the price! The hotel Contiki stays at is nice, I stayed there on my last tour, but it’s REALLY set back out of the city, about a €30euro each way. It’s definitely worth the cost to stay in the city. I booked my transfer on www.viator.com. They have several transfer options, I am not on my
    Laptop right now but in a few hours I’ll post the link to the one I used, it was $26USD and is reliable, I’ve used them before.

We should get together Friday night for dinner!

• 8 Oct 2011 DanniMarie27 said

DanniMarie27

Here’s the link for the airport transfer:

http://www.viator.com/product/tourOptions.jspa?code=3523ROMAPTHTL&productId=1016&id=1010&productType=SIC&day=25&month=11&year=2011&itemKey=

• 8 Oct 2011 Missy12345 said

Missy12345

Thanks! We should definitely meet up Friday. I was planning to stay in the same area. I’ll let you know once I book.

Melissa

• 17 Oct 2011 ATLgirl said

Default_avatar

Hey Ladies!!

I’m looking into this trip and will be booking this week :) I did my first Contiki tour in July (Berlin to Budapest) and absolutely loved it! I will be turning 30 in a few weeks and am from Atlanta. I will probably be getting into Rome at 8am on that Saturday morning, and I’m thinking of staying in Venice at the end for an extra night. Do you know if there is a Facebook page for those of us going on this tour? Can’t wait!

• 17 Oct 2011 Romie5678 said

Romie5678

Welcome to the page. I’ve been slacking with creating a group on FB. Okay, now is the time.

• 17 Oct 2011 Romie5678 said

Romie5678

Hi All,

Here’s the link to the Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/249687681750291/?success=1#!/groups/249687681750291/

If you still can’t click on it, go on Contiki FB’s page. I will also post a link there. I can’t wait to meet you guys!

Romie

• 18 Oct 2011 Missy12345 said

Missy12345

Way to make the Facebook page. I requested to join. I can’t wait to meet you guys either! I’m so excited it’s only a little more than a month away!

Melissa

• 18 Oct 2011 -Preet- said

-Preet-

Hi everyone,

I am going on this tour as well, this will be my first time in Europe and also my 1st contiki tour, I am so looking forward to exploring Italy and meeting you all :)

Ps: I sent a request on Facebook..

Harpreet

• 18 Oct 2011 Romie5678 said

Romie5678

Great!!! The more the merrier. Bring your discussions to the FB page. I have tons of questions.

• 18 Oct 2011 DanniMarie27 said

DanniMarie27

I sent a request on facebook as well. You know the old saying “what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?” Contiki’s version is “what happens on Contiki stays on facebook” and it’s true, so I’m happy you created the page! It’s a great way for us to all keep in touch even after the tour and to share pictures and such as well.

Is everyone planning on doing all of the optionals? Since there are not a lot of reviews on the optionals posted, I hope you guys don’t mind my posting my thoughts on some of the optionals!

The Rome Imperial tour/Vatican City is an INCREDIBLE experience, and I can’t explain how you will feel standing in the Sistine Chapel looking at the ceiling or while standing in the Forums. Because I have done it already and I don’t feel the overwhelming need to see them again I probably will not be going back. It will take about half the day if not more, but like I said it’s definitely worth seeing.

The dinner are a toss up food wise, company wise they are always a lot of fun with tons of laughs. We had a few incredible dinners then we had one or two that just sucked on the last tour. The Monetbuoni Tuscan evening is something I won’t miss. I can’t comment on how the food was because I barely ate I was so sick by that point (swine flu :/ ) but the scenery is incredible and I remember a lot of laughs and joking around with the staff, the singers, and everyone else. I didn’t go to Space last time as a bunch of us decided to do our own thing, and I heard it was fun but I didn’t miss and incredible night. I’m actually kind of sad they aren’t taking us to the Red Garter, a karaoke bar near the Ponte Vecchio. As silly as it sounds, that was probably the best bar we went to. Yes it’s a bit Americanized, but so is Space. Then again, it’s all about the company not the location when it comes to bars and pubs. When in Florence try to see Sante Croce Church. It’s where Galileo, Michelangelo, Machiavelli, and many others are burried as well as where the Medicci Chapel is.

It looks like they switched places for the Venetian dinner and I’m glad, that was by far the worst meal we had last time. They didn’t offer the Venice walking tour on my last trip, and even if they had I probably wouldn’t have done it. Everyone I know who has gone to Venice agrees that the best thing to do there is just get lost. But whatever you do, do not miss the Gondola ride! They put about 6 people per Gondola and they sell bottles of really good wine right where you get on, so you just “ride” through the “streets” of Venice, drinking and laughing the entire time.

Well now that I’ve written a small book about the optionals :^D I have to say I’m really excited about this tour, it seems like we have a great group so far!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.