Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Denied Schengen visa, Contiki it's your fault

9 Sep 2011 Explorer1287886 said

Default_avatar

I just want to share this experience to everyone. My husband and I booked for a Contiki European Encounter tour this year. We paid 30% downpayment already thru our agency. Because France is our first point of entry and we will be spending more days there, we applied in the French Embassy. One of the listed requirements is a hotel voucher. I asked my travel agent how come we don't have our contiki's hotel voucher yet, she replied that Contiki doesn't normally give out the vouchers this early. Our travel date is Oct 22, we applied for our Schengen Visa today Sept 9 because it will take 10 days before the French embassy release our Visa. My husband will also travel overseas beginning 1st week of October so we decided to apply for our visa early. Come to think of it 5 weeks prior to the tour departure is not EARLY. I mean Contiki wants us to pay the full amount of the tour 45 days before the tour itself so I don't understand why they can't give us a hotel voucher for our Schengen visa. Anyways they just send us hotel bookings and certificate. In fairness to the management they explained why they can't issue a hotel voucher (Because- As this is a group tour, all hotel rooms are booked under the name of Contiki Holidays. Hence, there are no separate vouchers for hotel stays being issued to passengers.) When we submitted all our requirements to the French embassy this morning, just as I thought, our requirements are incomplete. The visa officer told us that Contiki always provide hotel vouchers so he doesn't understand why we don't have ours. He also said that it's up to us if we are willing to take the risk. It's like saying, we will not approve your visa because you didn't follow the rules and you submitted incomplete requirements. We don't have a choice but to submit our requirements, asking for another appointment will take a long time and we don't have that luxury. I am hoping Contiki will finally send us our hotel vouchers and I'm praying that we can submit it on time before the embassy gives us the result.
We are paying customers... I thought Contiki is a responsible company apparently I'm wrong. We did our part, we reminded our travel agent 2 weeks before and again last week, we submitted our requirements and just because Contiki thinks that it's too early to send us our travel voucher, our schengen visa maybe denied.

• 9 Sep 2011 Beks said

Beks

Hi,

Really sorry to hear this hasn’t gone to plan.

Sounds like it wasn’t made clear to our team what documents you needed. Please ask your travel agent to speak with our Reservations Team and ask them to be specific that you need a voucher for an individual hotel on the tour for your Schengen visa, which lists the hotel details and your names on the voucher.

If there’s still miscommunication with your agent and you don’t get what you need, please email your details to us at sociable@contiki.com. Name, tour, travel date, booking ref, and what you need.

~Beks

• 9 Sep 2011 Explorer1287886 said

Default_avatar

Thank you Beks, will do this. I’ll email the details. I hope you can provide us the hotel vouchers asap because we need to submit it to the French embassy by Monday. Thanks again.

• 16 Sep 2011 whythetorment said

Default_avatar

Did you get your visa then ? We received ours today for this tour! Also the 22nd. Can’t wait !

• 25 Sep 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

I hope you worked this out because your post us confusing. This sound like your travel agent was giving you a bit of a run around. While Contiki normally doesnt give out travel documents earlier the 5 or 6 weeks prior, I know they can be requested early and if additional documentation is needed they can provide it. Sounds like your travel agent wasn’t asking for the right information from Contiki.

• 1 May 2012 mj said

mj

i asked for the same thing and contiki issued us documents which includes the itinerary and the “ticket to ride”. is the ticket to ride enough to present as “Accommodation” to apply for the schengen visa? or is there a separate individual hotel voucher that contiki issues?your answers would be valuable thanks!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.