Community_discussions_small  

Question

European Encounter (Winter) Nov 4th - 20th, 2011

12 Sep 2011 nice_ah asked

nice_ah

Hey! Who's booked for this trip? My brother and I booked it and wanted to see who else was in. We're from Saskatchewan, Canada. I'm 22 and my brother is 23. =)

• 4 Oct 2011 caiti_b said

caiti_b

Be gone, spam bots! I get all excited about new people that have commented and I get here and it’s just spam! Damn you shakes fist

• 4 Oct 2011 T.IWANCH said

T.IWANCH

I hear ya….takes so long when I’m loading it on my BB to look too! Haha.

• 4 Oct 2011 Court.Jeremiah said

Court.Jeremiah

Hey guys me and my friend Chloee are going on this trip :) sooooo excited its less than a month away til we leave :) ! I’m Court btw :D

• 4 Oct 2011 Ash_firstimer said

Ash_firstimer

Welcome aboard Court and Chloe! Where are you guys from? Same here Caiti_b and T.IWANCH :( I thought a great discussion was happening and I got all excited but it was SPAM. Yuck. Haha

• 4 Oct 2011 T.IWANCH said

T.IWANCH

So, here’s a tip from my brother and sis-in-law who went on a Contiki tour a couple of years back:
    Bring a larger backpack and shove extra jeans and underwear in it. They said Contiki weighs the suitcases so they would put heavier stuff into their backpacks and leave them on the bus for the most part (not actually take them on tours or anything). These bags (I noticed on Contiki’s FAQ) can be up to 12 lbs….so that’s quite a bit of extra room for packing! :)

• 4 Oct 2011 nice_ah said

nice_ah

Anyone have any idea how cold it might be? Just wondering if I should pack a winter jacket.

• 5 Oct 2011 *Jess* said

*Jess*

i went on this trip in july, it is honestly a blast! ENJOY :)

• 5 Oct 2011 Ash_firstimer said

Ash_firstimer

Nice_ah, I looked up the av temps of each country and we’re looking at about 14 degrees, 10 degrees, 8 in some places. I’m taking a winter jacket :) T.WANCH, love that tip!!! love it. So doing that.

• 6 Oct 2011 Ash_firstimer said

Ash_firstimer

PS. Thanks Jess. Hey guys I have a Q for all of you too… what’s everyone doing in terms of using a mobile phone over there? I don’t understand how the Contiki simcard thing works, I’m pretty much just really confused!

• 6 Oct 2011 nac86 said

nac86

Hey Everyone! Im also coming on this trip n cant wait! I’ll be traveling solo, n i im glad to see a few other solo travelers, it makes me less nervous. A little about myself: Im 25 n from Cairns, been overseas to a few places but Europe has always been my dream destination, especially Italy ! I cant wait to meet u all

• 7 Oct 2011 caiti_b said

caiti_b

Welcome nac86!

Ash, I’m not too sure what I’m going to be doing phone-wise either. As far as communication itself goes I’ll be using Skype on my phone/iPad via wifi when I can, but I’d like to have some form of European sim in my iPad so I can look at maps/translate stuff while we’re out and about. The Contiki sim is a bit confusing huh! I’m going to read into it a bit more when I get home from work this afternoon so I’ll let ya’ll know if I manage to decipher it :)

PS guys, four weeks til we all go on tour! :D So close!

• 7 Oct 2011 T.IWANCH said

T.IWANCH

Hey there,

We may just buy some international phone cards (from whichever country we’re in) when we want to make calls to home.

Wow! Less than 4 weeks people! I should probably start packing slowly because I think it will be overwhelming if I leave it until the last minute!

27 sleeps for us North American peeps….the countdown is on!!

• 12 Oct 2011 T.IWANCH said

T.IWANCH

3 weeks!!! Yay!!!

• 12 Oct 2011 Ash_firstimer said

Ash_firstimer

I reckon I’ll just buy a UK vodofone sim when I arrive at Heathrow… it looks like the way to go judging by all the other discussions I’ve read (when I should be studying for exams…). Wow 3 weeks!! That means it’s TWO weeks for me! I’m doing 5 days in Ireland before the Contiki. Time’s flying! Can’t wait :)

• 17 Oct 2011 Fyrefly_Faerie said

Fyrefly_Faerie

I bought one of Contiki travel phones since my US phone doesn’t have a SIM card. Hopefully it can be something I can use on my future travels. 18 days to go!!! I get to celebrate my birthday in London :)

• 20 Oct 2011 Mick22 said

Mick22

Hey everyone. Myself and my mate are going on this trip, pretty excited. We both come from port lincoln in south australia and are both having a gap year.getting into london on the 29th so if anyone is keen to have a group get together the night before let us know. But also thinking about going to the incubus show that night! see you all soon!

• 24 Oct 2011 T.IWANCH said

T.IWANCH

I can’t believe this tour is less than 2 weeks away…..crazy! Feels like we’ve waited for so long!! :)

AND I noticed that the tour is full, so that’s very exciting! Can’t wait….

• 26 Oct 2011 Rami Jamal said

Rami Jamal

Are you guys coverting money before or during the trip?

• 26 Oct 2011 nice_ah said

nice_ah

Yeah, I’ve exchanged money into Pounds, Euros, and Swiss Francs and will exchange money during the trip as well. Just in case for the optional tours and stuff.

Hey Mick22, my brother and I will be in London on the 31st. A get together the night before would be great! Where will you guys be staying? We’re staying at the Royal National Hotel (where we all first meet on the 4th).

• 26 Oct 2011 Ash_firstimer said

Ash_firstimer

I’ve already converted my money into British Pounds and Euros which is on a travel card. Then I also have some cash which I will exchange as I go :)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.