Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Adventurer November 19th (CHR-AUCK)

16 Sep 2011 Kim asked

Default_avatar

Hi, just wondering if anyone else is going on this tour?

It's the 13 day Grand Adventurer leaving from Christchurch on the 19th November and ending in Auckland on the 1st December.

I just booked it in yesterday!! :)

• 14 Oct 2011 Lydz1988 said

Lydz1988

• 14 Oct 2011 Becci said

Becci

aww yay! I’m sure Qantas will be fine. – it’s 3 weeks till I leave the UK. Can’t wait as work is now completely dead (I’m a travel agent). Rang Contiki and apparently in Europe we don’t get our docs until 3 weeks before so I have another 10 days to wait. Have u 2 found anyone else online who is doing our tour or is just us so far?

• 15 Oct 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

Hey Becci…3 weeks will fly by so fast!!! I wouldn’t be too stressed…haha! I wanted more hours at work but the morning shifts are killing me atm (work at the airport)…haven’t found anyone else online…i guess we will meet heaps on tour tho :)

• 15 Oct 2011 Becci said

Becci

Yeah the woman at Contiki said that there are between 35-50 of us. I should’ve guess you were in the industry cuz of the airport codes shouldn’t i?! lol. Morning shifts just sound painful – 9-5 suits me thanks! Have u done a Contiki before btw?

• 15 Oct 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

Never done a contiki before but the amount of people I check in who have contiki baggage tags tell me how awesome their contikis are and where they are going next for their current flight…its so awesome to hear it! Yeah morning is painful…yay for 3AM starts… :( nice big crowd then…haha…sud see if there is anyone doing the north island reverse as well…hehe!

• 16 Oct 2011 Becci said

Becci

we hardly ever book contiki over here. although i try and spread the word lol. only found out about it from an aussie cousin. how long have u worked at the airport? ps: u spoken to Kim lately she’s disappeared… lol.

• 16 Oct 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

hey becci…haven’t spoken to kim for ages…maybe she is busy atm??? Or she working heaps to save up for spendiong money :p So fustrating…Qantas announced today that their issues are gonna run for at least another month…another month + 1 day is when I fly…so getting a little edgy…will have to wait til beginning of November before I decide what I am gonna do :s

• 16 Oct 2011 Becci said

Becci

bloody unions. pain in the butt. well fingers crossed, will it cost u much to reboot?

• 16 Oct 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

If I am to rebook…we will prob take Virgin and be on your flight…I am waiting til the beginning of November when things will be a little clearer coz i know Qantas just axed 100 flight schedules… :s

• 17 Oct 2011 Kim said

Default_avatar

I’m still here!! Haha my anti-virus program ran out on my computer and for some reason I couldn’t access this on my phone! But my computer is safe again now!! :)
    I picked up my Contiki travel documents… yay! You’re right James some super interesting and useful information! How’d you go with your travel docs Becci? I can’t believe you leave in three weeks!! How exciting!! Are you going to Sydney first then Melbourne?
    Qantas are certainly causing a lot of problems…. well let me rephrase.. the unionsare causing a lot of problems!! The tourism minister said the other day they wouldn’t let it get too out of hand before the federal government stepped in.. but so far the situation seems to be very much under union control!! As much as I’d love us all to be catching the same flight I do hope it works out for you James!! :) By the way have you ‘checked in’ yet James?

• 17 Oct 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

Hey hey…haven’t ‘checked-in’ as of yet…will prob do this early next month! Yes the unions are really starting to get to me…just hoping everything is going to go smoothly…..eeeeek! But almost reaching the one month mark!!! How exciting! I am gonna evaluate this whole Qantas situation…just have to wait and see…the other option for me i guess is to reroute through melbourne which wouldnt be an issue either way coz we prob end up at the airport at the same time but just a different terminal in melb…haha! Just waiting it out atm and seeing how it plays out…oh i really do want to start packing and getting ready for this tour…yesterday in PER it got to 35 degrees….i am looking forward to the ‘NZ’ weather!!! All very exciting!!!
    So have we decided what optional activities we are doing??? I know i want to go zorbing and bungee jumping (this bungee thing is so not like me) but I think having friends there will calm my nerves…haha! Shopping should be good too!!! Get heaps of souvineers for our mates back in oz…haha…get a sheep or two :p My friend told me the other day that its an actual fact that NZ has more sheep in it than people…haha!
    Bec…hope you do enjoy your trip down under…i know u will love it here :)

• 17 Oct 2011 Becci said

Becci

I know – I’ve done Sydney before but I’m looking forward to Melbourne (as somebody told me it’s the friendliest city). In answer to your question Kim, yeah I’m doing Sydney first and then also at the end before I fly home (I’m away for a month in total).
    James – I really want to do the skydive… but not sure if I have the balls to be honest! not keen on the bungy idea so much tho but who know’s when we’re there. Also wanna do the glacier heli-hike (not fit enough to do the 4hr one!) & there’s a horse riding & steam boat one at Milford Sound which sounds like a leisurely way to spend a day!
    Any idea’s what the weather is gunna be like? – I keep thinking about bringing a “pack a mac” but dunno if I can bring myself to lol.
    Anyway I suppose I should actually do some work! lol.

• 17 Oct 2011 Kim said

Default_avatar

Oh cool. I’m actually going to Sydney in December to visit some family. Melbourne… the friendliest city ey? Well I sure hope us Melbournians live up to your expectations!! :) Do you have family in Melbourne or are they in Sydney/elsewhere in Australia?
    Hmmmm optionals, well zorbing and bungy jumping/canyon swing definitely. Was going to do the sky-diving but like you Becci don’t think I’ll have it in me!! And the heli-hike my brother in law (who went on this tour a few years back) said was his favourite. Also yeah Milford Sound seems like a nice relaxing optional!! I’m hoping the weather will be a little warmer by the time we go there. At the moment its max mid teens. Can’t believe Perth is already hitting 35! I’m a little jealous I must admit hehe I love my warm weather! We are getting 28 on Wednesday which will be nice though.
    I had to google ‘pack a mac’ cause I have never heard of it lol raincoat though right? I’m hoping not to need one but probably will pack it just in case.
    As for Qantas the government is actually ready and willing to intervene, but Qantas management still claim that negotiations without intervention will resolve the issue…. not sure about that! Let’s hope one way or another it is resolved soon….will keep my fingers crossed for you and your friends James! :)

• 17 Oct 2011 Becci said

Becci

You were the one who told me that Kim!! Lol. All my family are either in Sydney or Brisbane (I may have a few also in Perth but never met them!) so I’ll be in Melbourne on my tod – Fancy pre contiki tour drinkies? – U can show me the best bars?
    Please u 2 stop moaning about the weather it’s bloody freezing here! 10c getting down to 2c at night.
    LOL I guess pack a mac is a British thing (as it rains 85% of the time here u practically live in them when your a kid and then rebel when your an adult and refuse to wear them! lol
    I think I’m gunna make myself do the Skydive just because everyone i’ve spoken to who have done it over here says it’s amazing. – May opt for the canyon swing also but don’t like the idea of bungy i’ve decided! lol
    What is it with Qantas – i’m now getting issues over here too with them cancelling routes! They’re getting as bad as bloody British Airways.
    nevermind… must shoot as still at work lol the boss’ll kill me if she catches me lol!
    toodles…

• 17 Oct 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

haha…before we leave have to get your phone numbers ay…that way we can contact each other when Becci gets to MEL and we all get to CHC…haha!

• 17 Oct 2011 Kim said

Default_avatar

Haha did I? Oops well I know we are ‘most livable’, hopefully that means we are friendly too!! :) Wow can’t believe how cold it gets in the UK! Which part are you from btw? My dad was born in London.
    James you read my mind lol was just about to post the same comment. Did you want to email or facebook them through? (That way its not on a public forum) My email is kimberley.j.hammond@gmail.com and you’ll find my fb through that too. I’m in my graduation gown i think. If I get a night off work Becci I’ll show you round the bars but thats unlikely. I do have mornings off though so if you did want to catch up for coffee or lunch I should be able to do that. But your staying on Flinders Lane right? Up the Swanston Street end (which is the end closer to Flinder Street Station and Fed Square) there is a bar called Nectar Lounge… they do great infused Vodka’s there, like Grape Hubba Bubba, Redskin flavour and heaps more.

• 18 Oct 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

Awesome…just added you! Are you bringing your Aus numbers over (well kim at least)??? I am on vodaphone and apparently if I read their site correctly, they charge the same prices as Aus…just have to ensure I have roaming on my phone before I leave…haha! Once you accept me I can also send you my friends fb so you have contact with them too! And for becci if you just want to fb my email address which is jimmeh_t@hotmail.com you should be able to find my fb…unless i changed my privacy settings from the last time…haha!
    I am meeting up with my friends in abt 3 weeks time to give them their documents and discuss contiki as they are in the middle of exams and my friend whose name we put the booking under passed all the jobs to me for this month while she nuts out her final assessments and exams…haha….will have to let you all know how we go with this Qantas issue as apparently Julia Gillard has taken a step back and isn’t gonna solve the issue apparently…sigh…just gotta wait 2 weeks til I can work this whole debarkle out…
    On a brighter note…30 days exactly til I take the flight over east (regardless of which airlines I am taking) haha!

• 18 Oct 2011 Kim said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the add! Are you serious about Vodafone? I too am with them so I’m gonna look into that now and if that’s the case with charges then yes i’’ll just bring my number over. Have just finished my contract with them and was going to move to Optus or Telstra but might hold off then! Thanks James! haha.

• 18 Oct 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

not a problem…I hate this waiting for 4 weeks for our tour to start…just want to start it…also hate how PER how now become wet after 2 days of sunshine…haha!

http://www.vodafone.com.au/personal/international-roaming/singapore-and-new-zealand/index.htm
    http://www.vodafone.com.au/personal/international-roaming/roaming-for-postpay/index.htm

I have added websites for you just in case…love how Kim is like 3 hrs ahead of me atm and Becci is 8 hrs behind :p

• 18 Oct 2011 Becci said

Becci

Ta for the heads up – I prob won’t do much drinking when i’m in Melbourne tbh as if i’m wandering around on my own want my wits about me. I live 15 mins from Bath (famous old Roman Spa town) and about an hour from Bristol if not.
    I;ve just added you both on fb becci_101@hotmail.com if u get a random add.
    Yes it gets freezing here – literally yesterday it started snowing!
    I’m gunna ring up my network provider today to see what the charges are abroad othrwise might just get a sim only and bring my handset – u can get sim only right?
    Anyway it’s 0800am here so better get a wriggle on to work!
    ciao. x

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.