Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Adventurer November 19th (CHR-AUCK)

16 Sep 2011 Kim asked

Default_avatar

Hi, just wondering if anyone else is going on this tour?

It's the 13 day Grand Adventurer leaving from Christchurch on the 19th November and ending in Auckland on the 1st December.

I just booked it in yesterday!! :)

• 19 Oct 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

Oh dear…would hate to be the guys on Contiki atm…

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/world/10501007/reports-of-heavy-flooding-in-christchurch/

• 19 Oct 2011 Becci said

Becci

LOL! Oh well we have exactly a month to go! All will be sunny and dry by the time we get there… Sat in my office atm with a little river running outside the shop it’s raining so hard! Ta for the accepts on fb btw.
    ONE MONTH TO GO! WHOOPWHOOP!!!!

• 19 Oct 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

Well its exactly 28 days left for me until getting onto the plane…i am itching to start packing but I will prob do that the week before we leave…haha…decided it prob be cold when i get there so def bringing warmer clothes!

• 20 Oct 2011 Becci said

Becci

ok I’m confused… Contiki e-mailed me saying someone else had commented on the post? (Chris Servais?) yet when I come on it’s just us 3 still? – Did u 2 get a e-mail too? PS James it’s not gonna be cold – or it better not be i’m already panicking as to what to bring!!!

• 20 Oct 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

Yes i did get that email…maybe he just deleted his post and realised he wrote on the wrong wall??? Ave temp for CHC is about 17C which is cold for Aussies coz we are used to 20 sumthing weather…haha! Click on the ‘what to pack’ and you will see what i mean…

http://contiki.com.au/pages/1704-new-zealand

• 21 Oct 2011 Kim said

Default_avatar

Hey Becci, yeah I got that email and checked out our discussion board and there was a comment. But it was some dodgy comment with a link to some random site so no doubt it has been taken down for security reasons. I was excited though…. thought we’d find another fellow tour mate!! :(

• 21 Oct 2011 Becci said

Becci

me too oh well. just us then lol. i will check out the link ta although that’s like our summer here! anyway have a good weekend u 2. off to work i go. x

• 23 Oct 2011 Su said

Su

Hey guys!

I booked on the grand explorer which I think is just a couple of days longer than yours (I started my own thread then someone pointed out this was here!)

Well excited! Any final decisions on packing yet? Anyone up for sky diving but thinks they may Brick it let me know, I want to do it but will probably need support!

Counting down the days now, this is My first contiki but my friend really recommends them!

• 23 Oct 2011 Kim said

Default_avatar

Hi Su, welcome to the thread!! It’s nice to find another tour mate! :) I’m Kim from Melbourne, Australia. I see you are from the UK… very cool! Becci is also from the UK. Are you just travelling NZ or will you head over to Australia too? Each day changes my mind on sky diving. Some days I’m like nah there is no way, other days i’m like bring it! haha so will have to see wat mood i am in when we all get to Queenstown. I think this is the first contiki for all of us. Are you going solo or have some mates with you?

• 24 Oct 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

Hey Su…welcome to our awesome thread!!! I’m James from Perth, Australia!!! Skydiving like every1 is something I keep changing my mind abt everyday…haha! WE are all really excited :)

• 24 Oct 2011 Su said

Su

Hey guys!
    Whereabouts in Melbourne are you from kim? Unfortunately I only made it to east coast James when I was in aus!

I am coming over on my own, having a break between changing jobs so should be good! Unfortunately it’s straight to and from London for me, only have a short bit of time to take holiday!

Su

Default_avatar

Hey Su…wat time is your flight arrival??? What day do you arrive and you staying at the Beasley hotel the night before if you arrive the day before…I think I am ditto with you on the tour as I finish 3rd Dec :)

Man…i am seriously getting out numbered with the girls on tour…so far its 5 girls and me…lol

Can’t wait to hear from you Su!

• 24 Oct 2011 Su said

Su

Hey,

I’m flying return to Auckland and am getting an internal flight from there to Christchurch late Friday afternoon… I think I will miss welcome meeting but am staying in the beasley! I land at around 7 in evening!

Sure there will be some more guys soon otherwise u will probably go mad! :)

Are u staying in Auckland on 3rd? I have a flight home at 1am the next day so will be dossing around I think (probably recovering from a two week hangover!)

Default_avatar

Haha…sure thing…well my travel party which is me plus two f/male friends are gonna stay at Mecure for a night…lol! 1AM flight…that must really suck…well we had the option of taking the 3PM flight home on the 3rd but didnt want to rush and risk our chances of missing our flight so we opted for the 3PM departure the following day!

Well from what the contiki documents say the tour starts at 6:30AM so i guess its an early to bed nite for every1…plus u are gonna have a major spout of jetlag…haha!

• 24 Oct 2011 Su said

Su

Yeah I think the jet lag will be bad…. I leave London on Wednesday night! Hopefully adrenaline will keep me going…. If not I’ll bring a large supply of red bull!

Yeah flight times are pretty bad but went for the cheaper option (plus I had to get back for work!)

Default_avatar

Haha…yeh I leave West Aus on Thurs nite to be in Auckland for a 1PM arrival Fri…hehe!!!

But yes indeed…jet lag will be awesome for you…sleep on the bus??? Or have a quick dinner and head straight to bed!

• 24 Oct 2011 Su said

Su

How long is the flight for u?

Can’t sleep on the bus, will miss the awesome sights of nz! I’ll have to man up and deal with it :)

Default_avatar

haha…leave PER at 11PM…arrive SYD at 0620….Then transit for 2 hrs then arrive CHC at 1315…and have 2 different time zones in one day…yay for massive body withdrawal symptoms…5 hrs differences but have to go through the two zones so it will feel like breakie when we touch down…haha

Sleep early then when u get hotel :)

• 24 Oct 2011 Kim said

Default_avatar

Wow you guys covered everything while I was at work!! Haha. I live in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Have you been to Melbourne Su? Did you do the Neighbours tour when you were here? If you are like the many other UK people who love neighbours (and did do the tour) I will tell you my house is round the corner from Pinoak Court aka Ramsey Street!! Wow you all have such long flights! My three hour flight doesn’t even compare. My sister bought me a new travel suitcase yesterday, which has got me super excited!! :) Oh and I also caught about 30 mins of Lord of the Rings the other night which also got me excited!! Haha Hey James how is Qantas going with flights? Haven’t heard much in the last couple days, which is either a good or bad sign!! :)

• 24 Oct 2011 Becci said

Becci

Blimey!! I looked on my e-mail & said I had a reply but had a lot to catch up on!! BTW hey Su, I’m Becci ur fellow Pommie! Where about’s in the UK are you from? (I’m Bristol way). Definately want to do the sky dive (very unlike me) however yes may brick it when we get there – hopefully not tho as it looks AWESOME.
    Kim, I think we got the better deal… straight there and only 3hrs. whoop – forgot to ask u, what to you do as a job as you said usually work evenings?
    I’ve still not found a bloody waterproof coat, which is craziness & haven’t even attempted to get the suitcase down from the loft either. Oh well 11 days left, plenty of time!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.