Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Adventurer November 19th (CHR-AUCK)

16 Sep 2011 Kim asked

Default_avatar

Hi, just wondering if anyone else is going on this tour?

It's the 13 day Grand Adventurer leaving from Christchurch on the 19th November and ending in Auckland on the 1st December.

I just booked it in yesterday!! :)

• 29 Oct 2011 Becci said

Becci

aww bloody hell… air nz it is then! How was Queeny – did she speak?!! Can’t believe it, how did you wangle that shift?! x

• 29 Oct 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

Flights first: Well…I am gonna give it til next wed or sat and see how Qantas is going…worse comes to worse I will seek a refund for PER-SYD-PER sectors as my SYD-NZ-SYD sectors are uneffected…or else I may rebok onto Virgin and possibly end up on the same flight as you, Becci n Kim…just have to wait and see…Air NZ is so expensive tho :(

Queen: OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is so nice…I gave her a massive bow and she had a very quick conversation with me and my collegue…she said that she loved PER and we were both doing a great job!!! It the only thing that positive from my end of the day…haha!

• 29 Oct 2011 Becci said

Becci

Yay!!! come on the same flights as us!!! Virgin canx my CHC-SYD flight on wednesday and put me on one via BNE – not impressed!! So rang and said wanted a refund and rebooked with Air NZ for that flight (as they had a sale on). I can’t believe you spoke to the Queen- jealous! Nice to have some good feedback for a change (especially from her) I don’t know if you get the same as us but usally you only get the negative feedback.
    xx

Default_avatar

UPDATE: Qantas and unions are going into a meeting with FAir Trade Australia body…Gov put in an application and if application is sucessfull it will see Qantas and Unions having to work it out WITHOUT industrial action within 21 days… (my flight is in 19 days) and if they can’t work it out then Fair Trade Aus will sort it out…so theoretically speaking I will get to NZ but coming back from NZ may be a whole diff story…haha~

• 29 Oct 2011 Kim said

Default_avatar

Wow James I cannot believe you met the Queen!! I am so jealous! lol I really wanted to see her when she was in Melbourne but she was only here for like half a day and I had to work! My sister saw her as she opened a new ward in the hospital where my sister works, but didnt meet her.

As for Qantas…. OMG! I am so worried for the future of the company and the Australian icon that is Qantas! I love Qantas :( I hope this is all sorted out soon! And am super worried for you and your mates James but would be cool if you caught our flight! hehe

I am getting really excited guys!! :) Not long now and we will be pumping the adrenaline by day and partying by night….. in New Zealand!! :)

• 29 Oct 2011 Becci said

Becci

oh Lord and there I thought it was gonna be a nice relaxing bus tour round New Zealand… haha!

Default_avatar

haha…had a chat with Jaz (one of the girls I’m travelling with) tonight when we were at our mates 21st…we figured we are pretty gud for the flight there…it will just be the flight back…so either we will have to book from syd-per or just catch a direct flight from nz to per…haha!!!

Bring on NZ!!!

• 1 Nov 2011 Kim said

Default_avatar

Well I just ‘checked in’. Took like two minutes and just put in some details Contiki will need like passport and travel insurance numbers, emergency contacts etc. Was hoping it would gain you access to cool things like the brochure says (including trip mates) but no its nothing special. It just redirects you to the general discussion board to meet trip mates. Oh well will just have to wait to meet everyone in person.

Hope you’re all doing well and getting super excited! Its now November and just over two weeks til we head off!!! :)

And Becci I hope your last few days before you depart aren’t too stressful lol Very exciting though! Can’t wait to meet you in person! Hope you have a safe flight!! :)

• 2 Nov 2011 Becci said

Becci

72 HRS TILL TAKE OFF!!
    awww i’ve been trying to do online check in but my computer dies every time I get on there. Does it give you a list of activities… had the general manager of Contiki UK at my office the other day and he said that you could kinda provisionally show interest in the ones you like?? I am definately getting excited- must remember to put ur numbers into my phone before I leave so I can text ya. Can’t wait to see you both! xx

• 2 Nov 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

Hey all!!! Can’t believe that tour is starting sooo soon!!! It hasnt really sunk in for me that I get to meet you guys really soon :) Only 14 days left til my flights and I can say I am feeling a lot more confident abt Qantas as I have been checking their website for flight status and doesnt appear they have too many issues and their planes leave on time now :)

Becci have a fantastic flight! Catch up on some sleep when you can so you arent too jet lagged! Hope you pack everything you need…haha!

• 3 Nov 2011 Jim.Jamz said

Default_avatar

BTW…does anyone now how I am suppose to take laundry powder…like travel size coz i don’t want to get to teh airport and have it chucked out by customs coz it will look dodge either way i put it in a jar or resalable bag…haha!

• 3 Nov 2011 Becci said

Becci

Hey hun – can you not buy a small box when your there, rather than faffing trying to get it through customs. Tbh I hadn’t even thought about that. – I haven’t even starting packing yet! xx

• 3 Nov 2011 Kim said

Default_avatar

Hey James, yeah I am going to do as Becci has suggested and purchase laundry powder in New Zealand. Will be a lot easier customs wise and I figure I won’t need it for a little while so it’ll give me a good excuse to explore one of the towns :)

• 3 Nov 2011 Kim said

Default_avatar

Oh also….. what bags are you bringing on the bus/ for walking around town? I’m not sure what to go with just yet and think I may need to purchase one.

I really need to go shopping!! lol I’m waiting to see what the weather will be though. Btw here is a NZ weather website (i think its their official one so you may have already checked it out). It has a ten day forecast so might be of some interest to you all. http://www.metservice.com/national/index

• 3 Nov 2011 Kim said

Default_avatar

Oh and I just checked it out and there is snow in Queenstown and Dunedin today… in November!! :O wow!

Default_avatar

Please let it be snowing when we go!!! I love making snowmen…hehe! Last time I was in the snow was Austria for music tour and taht was a good 5 yrs ago!!!!

Becci have a really safe trip!!!

Laundry powder shopping sounds like a good idea to me…they say its better to find a laudomat and not do it at the hotels…haha! Usually at the laudomat they give you soap powder do they not…haha

Bags wise for walking around…well as for a guy I am just bringing a smallish backpack…girls I guess could do a satchel type of bag coz I know that you tend to carry around more than guys…I think all I will have in my backpack is my water bottle…haha! Worse comes to worse I am sure you can just drump your stuff in my bag…lol!

• 3 Nov 2011 Su said

Su

Music tour in Austria?! Think u need to explain!

Default_avatar

haha…i went to a top music school. Every 3 years they go on tour…in 2006 it was in Austria, Germany, UK…hence why I was in Austria! Even got to see the sound of music place…pretty cool!

• 3 Nov 2011 Su said

Su

Ah Salzburg! What do u play?

• 9 Nov 2011 Raggamuffin said

Default_avatar

Hi guys, my names Kate. I think I’m on your tour too but continueing to the bay of islands after. Wow, you have all been talking for so long. I just booked my tour today, very last minute. I"m really excited too though, been saving for a trip all year but orginally planed to go to asia and then suddenly changed my mind. I"ll be arriving in christchurch at 2:15pm from brisbane on the 18th Nov. Would anyone want to meet up for dinner, or mind if I tag along if you have already organised something? The first night is always a bit lonely by yourself, trying to get something to eat. I"ve been on a contiki before, in europe. It was amazing!

My advice is to not worry about laundry powder and all that stuff, if we need it we can buy some there and share it. Last time us girls took a backpack (or simular) on the bus plus our handbags and then left the backpack on the bus if you didn’t need it at a particular stop, cause carrying around a larger bag is a right pain if its just for a few hours on the way. They also double as extra room if you buy to much stuff!!! Also one of those neck pillows is a life saver for mornings if your feeling a bit rough and want a sleep on the bus.
    I’ve got one week left till I leave for brisbane, super excited to meet everyone and start the fun!

P.s. James you met the Queen!? What the!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.