Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Rome

14 May 2008 RNTami said

Default_avatar
Ok so I need to get something straight. I am going on the european discovery and I want to set up a vatican tour.

The first night we arrive in Rome it looks like were doing a colloseum tour right? Is that included or extra?

Now what is the Guided Imperial Rome tour? It looks like an optional ezxcursion? Is that on the second day in rome?

When should I do the vatican tour?

Thanks
  • 14 May 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

If I am correct the colloseum is not a tour. You really don’t need one for the colloseum. You can do it on your own. Get the combo ticket at palentine hill theres usually no line there. The colloseum is open later in the day so I would do a tour of the vatican first then you can do the colloseum later in the day or early in the am. Its best to book a tour of the vatican so you can get in past that huge line. When I was there it was over a mile long kid you not. I had a tour so I just walked in. You can try several places for tours

http://www.vatican.va/phome_en.htm

www.angeltoursrome.com

Others are concept tours of rome and rome walks are ones I’ve looked into. I went throught the vatican itself and the tour was great. Give several hours for it and about 1 hour for the Colloseum and 1 hour for the Roman forum which you now have to pay for.

• 14 May 2008 Daisylyn said

Default_avatar

Hi! My friend and I did the European Discovery trip last May and this is what I remember about Rome:

On our first night, the entire tour group did a quick drive thru around the city and our guide pointed out the famous landmarks that we would probably want to visit. Then she let us loose to explore on our own.

If you decide to do a Vatican tour, I suggest doing it very early in the morning. We went there at 8am on our second day and got through St Peter’s pretty fast but the Sistene Chapel took a lot longer because the crowd had increased by the time we got there.

I don’t suggest doing the Imperial Forum tour because it was just a tad too long and pretty boring to be honest. You can maximaize your time better if you just explore it on your own. I remember about half of our group decided to bail early in order to go inside the Colloseum.

Anyway, hope this helps. I had a blast on my tour last year!

• 14 May 2008 Stacey said

Default_avatar

i was late getting to the imperial tour because of the qs to get into the vatican, but if i went again i wouldnt do the imperial tour.. its good to know the history and everything but its too long and its something you really can walk thru yourself and maximise your time there- your given really good maps.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion