Community_discussions_small  

Question

5 day london explorer worth it??

14 Oct 2010 Explorer1208718 asked

Default_avatar
hey everyone i am booked for the ultimate european on 24th july 2011 and am looking at doing the 5 day london explorer after it and am just wondering if this is worht it or if its better to just organise it on your own??

Thanks Smiler
  • 2 Jan 2011 Explorer1197020 said

Default_avatar

hi i just got back from my trip. i did the 5 day london explorer than an extra night before my trip. honestly i think its better to just book 5 nights yourself!! i was really disappointed with it. breakfast included was just toast and cereal you pay extra for otherstuff. we had to go on field trips to find the places to exchange our vouchers. the free theatre show we could only go the night we arrived so we didnt end up going cause we were buggered. the 3day tube ticket was good but you can probs purchase one yourself. the jump on and off bus you can get your own ticket. the included trip out to stonehenge windsor and bath was fabulous but again can book on your own. i think the value of it is not worth it. just do your own thing i really wish i had. i dont want to be negative, like everything on my trip was fantastic but i thought this package was just not worth it.

• 15 Jan 2011 Explorer1208718 said

Default_avatar

hi Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Thanks heaps for the reply.. was really not sure about whether to book. my tour ends in london so i am staying there for 6 days and thought this may be the easier way to do it but also thought it’d be really easy to organise it all by yourself?

how was the royal national hotel as this is where i am staying before and after the tour. i have heard mixed reviews?

Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 15 Jan 2011 Explorer1208718 said

Default_avatar

Also with the theatre show.. do u get to choose which show or?

• 15 Jan 2011 Explorer1197020 said

Default_avatar

thats ok, i dont mind helping out cause i really wish i had the same. i thought the royal national was fine. clean bed and bathroom everyday. if you get new roomies your key card gets reset so you have to go down and back up which was a bit of a pain but you all get your own key. i thought the hotel was fine, the window we could open all the way but maybe it was broken cause then a few days later they put a cord on it and then my friends room couldnt open it so it got quite stuffy. the show we had to go on a trek to find the place to exchange tickets, before i left i googled what shows were on which were pretty good list. when we got there it was stuff wed never heard of, best one was oliver which could only see that night most shows were like mon-thurs!!
    if your staying in london afterwards, youll meet people on your tour and do things with them so you dont want to have all these tickets and then dont use them. most of the stuff you can organise through contiki basement like the stonehenge trip or the hoponoff bus or book your own theatre ticket.

• 19 Jan 2011 Explorer1208718 said

Default_avatar

Thanks heaps for your help Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Default_avatar

did the bus tour include all the main sights that you would want to see?

Default_avatar

did the bus tour include all the main sights that you would want to see?

• 19 Jan 2011 Explorer1197020 said

Default_avatar

the original sightseeing bus tour which is the jump on off bus takes you all around london, there is like 4 different routes and seriously it is so worth it, takes you to all the popular sights. just for the ease of getting the bus everywhere or you can just ride it around and then you also go on the boat. the other bus tour which you can choose between a few, we did windsor castle, stonehenge and bath which is the most popular one.

• 20 Jan 2011 Explorer1208718 said

Default_avatar

was that all through the conitki london explore or did you book this on your own?
    was one day on that sightseeing bus tour enough to see everything. because you probably wouldnt be getting off at every sight? with the 4 different routes do u just choose on the day ?

• 20 Jan 2011 Explorer1197020 said

Default_avatar

you can buy the tickets for this from the contiki basement, they will help you, although mine came with the package. the 1day sightseeing bus the ticket is for 24hours but for some reason ours was 48. we actually did most of it in like half a day and we saw everything. we walked around places got lunch shopped went on the boat thing and sometimes we would walk to another stop and cut out a bit or just cruise around on the bus and just jmp on any bus that came by. some places will be like ok just get a photo out front but other places like tower of london, st pauls cathedral we caught the tube to anoter day because you can spend ages there. dont worry, i went there with this massive plan of what i was going to do each day but you just do what you feel like and you meet people and just have fun.

• 20 Jan 2011 Explorer1208718 said

Default_avatar

sounds awesome!! cant wait now. heading over in july will be in london for 2 days before my tour starts and when my tour ends ill be in london for a week. how long did you stay there for? the bus thing sounds great and like it’d be the easiest way to do it. did you go to the wax museum and the london dungeon aswell? yeah that sounds like a good idea to go round and see everything and to those places you want to see more of just grab the tube. is everything quite close to the tubes? thats it hey just take each day as it comes. sounds like me haha trying to plan everyday that ill be there. have u got any travel plans coming up?

• 20 Jan 2011 Explorer1197020 said

Default_avatar

i was in london for 6 days before my tour left, then i got off my tour the last night in amsterdam and had about 9 days with relatives i have over there that i hadnt seen in forever and had christmas then was home for new years. on one day we caught the tube around and did stpauls cathedral, tower of london and wax museum, tubes are close or we walked from 1-2. to get to the camden markets we caught a bus from behind the hotel and there is a tube stop there. portobello rd markets there is also a bus. transport is so easy, just ask concierge how to get there and they will help.

• 2 Feb 2011 Explorer1208718 said

Default_avatar

cant wait now.. not that long too go at all. thanks heaps for all your help and advice!! sorry for late reply. the forums changed took a while for me to figure it out.

:)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion