Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Grand Southern 2011

12 May 2010 PennyJ said

Default_avatar
Hi guys,
just planning a grand southern in july 2011 hopefully, just wanted to see if anyone else was going and any advice from pre travellers, i will be going solo, so excited though!
  • 14 May 2010 xmeluhknee said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by PennyJ:
    Hi guys,
    just planning a grand southern in july 2011 hopefully, just wanted to see if anyone else was going and any advice from pre travellers, i will be going solo, so excited though!

HI i replied in another thread, but i will here too! I can’t wait to do the grand southern next year, looking at july/august time too. I graduate this year, so it’s my grad present. WOO! haha Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Whats made you choose to go south? have you been to the US before? Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 14 May 2010 PennyJ said

Default_avatar

Hi!
    Yeah am so excited, i’ve never been overseas before and the grand southern covers most of the US, plus i wanted to spend an extra few days in LA & NY.

• 25 May 2010 cindychick said

Default_avatar

penny, me too! im plannin on going around may so we prob wont be on the same trip but im so super excited about it, i really want to do a few days either side in la and new york too, im planning on adding on the new york explorer tour at the end, it starts the day the GS finishes in NY so its perfect! and you get like two half days free to see the city yourself (and includes a sex and the city tour!)
    keep saving! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 25 May 2010 Explorer1184366 said

Default_avatar

Hey I’m also thinking about doing the GS next summer. Where abouts are you from? I’ll be 27 next year if I do it so don’t want to feel too old!!

• 25 May 2010 PennyJ said

Default_avatar

Hey explorer Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> that’s ok, I’m going to be 27 nex year as well and I was hoping there would be other travellers my age. I’m from Australia, where are you from?

Cindychick I wanted to do the ny explorer as well, Come in summertime!

Default_avatar

haha im going to be 27 next year as well!!! i think the average age is mid twenties, so well be fine! i cant wait, im so excited, it feels like such a long way away but it will come quickly! im from sydney, where are you guys from?

• 25 May 2010 PennyJ said

Default_avatar

I’m from Melbourne, am so excited, I can’t wait till they release the dates and get the time off work, yay!! Bring it on Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Default_avatar

penny there is a website called nycgo.com that gives you all info on whats happening in NYC, its gettting me so excited, im going travelling around europe beforehand, working in the uk until i go on the trip so i actually leave in december this year, but im getting excited now anyways! Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> ive never ever been to usa, and most people on here say that you need about $100AUD each day spending money, how much are you planning on taking?

• 26 May 2010 Explorer1184366 said

Default_avatar

Yay I thought there might be loads of 18 year olds making me feel really old Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

I’m from England. I heard Contiki is really popular in Australia, not many people have heard of it over here.

By the way I can’t change my name that comes up when I write for some stupid computer reason so I’m not called ‘explorer’ out of choice haha!! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 26 May 2010 PennyJ said

Default_avatar

Hey chicks (Cindy and uk gal) I checked out the website, looks awesome just want to fly to ny now, makes me glad to do the ny explorer, cause it looks like u don’t see much on the GS, I like contiki too, cause it looks like the only tour that u get to see the best parts of USA, (although I thought everyone would be young and I would be the nanna, now I’m relieved lol Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> am thinking maybe need to save about 11 – 12 grand, both tours would be 5,000 and not sure how much flights and la accomm would be, so maybe 3 – 4 grand for spending money?

• 26 May 2010 skyblueshez said

Default_avatar

Yay I figured out how to change my name. Am no longer an explorer!

Where abouts are you going to be working in the UK Cindy?

I also want to do the NY Explorer before, seems stupid to go all the way the America and not properly look round NYC! I’m stupidly excited already.

PS Had a right panic when I saw how much money you were planning on taking then realised that you were talking in Australian money Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

skyblueshez formerly Explorer1184366 Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 26 May 2010 cindychick said

Default_avatar

haha yeah im hopefully taking similar amounts of money, plus a credit card jsut in case Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    im looking at the moment at working in brighton maybe? just because its cheaper than london and looks nicer and friendlier, im from northern sydney, northern beaches (PS where they film home and away, yeah i live in summer bay Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> ) haha and so i like the idea of a smaller town, but im so excited to go to the us, and i chose the GS as well because it goes EVERYWHERE!

• 27 May 2010 skyblueshez said

Default_avatar

Ooh good choice, Brighton is nice but still close enough to London to be able to do the touristy things and shopping if you want. Brighton has a lot of travellers and stuff, and like you say much friendlier than London (I can only stand a couple of days in London before I want to go home!!)

Wow bet where you live is lovely. Although I’m a Neighbours girl myself, I think Neighbours is bigger over here than it is in Australia?!

I know the GS looks amazing, really looking forward to random stuff like travelling along Route 66 for a bit and seeing the places you just wouldn’t get to see normally. That’s why I was hoping I wouldn’t be the only ‘oldie’ there, I like a good time but I don’t want to have too good a time so I can’t remember the trip when I get back!! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 27 May 2010 Sarah said

Default_avatar

Yehaaa!!! A friend and I are planning to do the Grand Southern next August 2011….I’m getting so excited already!

• 30 May 2010 JamesB said

Default_avatar

Hey guys,

It’s awesome to see everyone is excited about doing the GS. I wasn’t sure if where I wanted to make my next trip but this has helped me decide.

I’m planning on going in May 2010, and would also like to spend some extra days in LA, San Fran before and NY at the end of the tour. I’m probably going to do the NY Explorer as it looks like a few people will be doing this. I was wondering if anyone would like to meet up prior to the tour to do LA and San Fran. I have done both of these in the past, and think I will enjoy it more with other people. Also San Fran can be a little dodgy. I know this is a long way out to be planning, but I need to do something while I’m at work Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

Since everyone else is doing it I’ll give you a little more info about myself. I’m 26 and from Melbourne, I have been on two Contiki tours before, Europe and Egypt. I have also travelled to the US a number of times before, but am looking forward to seeing some places I haven’t seen before.

James

• 31 May 2010 cindychick said

Default_avatar

this is def the best one, it goes everywhere! im guessing you meant your doing the may 2011?
    i would love love love to spend some time in LA and prob san fran beforehand too!!!?
    and itd be great not to do that solo Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> i was a little nervous about doing that solo as i dont wanna blow my budget and have never been to usa, but it would be awesome to do it with someone who has already been there!?
    i love that we can organise it on here and get to know everyone before we meet Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    im 26 from sydney, well northern beaches actually Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> just saving at the moment so im leading a very boring life, but i have a poster of america on my wall as a constant reminder Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 31 May 2010 JamesB said

Default_avatar

Hey Cindy,

Sorry I did mean 2011, I wish it was now though Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Any idea how long you would be planning to spend in LA etc before hand? I’m pretty flexible especially for LA as I have seen most of it before, but really enjoyed it and would love to do it again. As for San Fran I was only 15 when I went with friends and I think I was a bit young to fully appreciate it, so I would like to spend at least a few days taking in as much as possible.

I really like planning ahead and I find it helps me keep motivated to save money (putting of buying new furniture at the moment). On my previous trips I probably went a bit overboard with the spending, so for this one I’m thinking of budgeting $12,000. Hopefully this will be enough to do everything I want and still also be able to go out and drink/enjoy some nice food whenever I like.

I noticed in an earlier post of your you said you were going to work in the UK, my sister is working as a teacher over there, near London. If you have any questions or would just like a contact over there let me know. Also if you have any questions about the US or Contiki tours I can probably help a bit.

Default_avatar

oh wow that would be awesome! i hate saving so im now on here as much as possible so i keep reminding myself what its for! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    yeah im planning on working in england for a few months before, going to visit my sister in vienna for a white christmas (my first one ever) then get a job in england for a few months,
    im planning on maybe going to brighton? ive heard its nice there, smaller and cheaper than london. ive never been there before so it would be amazing to have some contacts Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> even if i dont know them just a name and number would make me happy and feel not so alone! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    i definately want to travel a bit before the tour, id lvoe to see san fran, and all the normal touristy spots in la i guess Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    it all jsut looks so exciting Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    how did you find the tours in europe? is it a lot of sitting on your ass in a bus? nad did you get along with everyone? and are there a lot of ppl solo???

• 31 May 2010 Leanne89 said

Leanne89

Hey guys,

I am thinking of doing this one next year. I am going on the Best of USA tour in August this year and I cannot wait. I have never been on Contiki before but have travelled alot before : )

Default_avatar

hey leanne!
    yeah i was looking at doing the best of usa as well but figured i really want to see everything of usa, not jsut the three big cities Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> i do want to go up to san fran as well before my tour, thats what james and i have eben talkig about, and la because the tour leaves from aneheim and goes straight to vegas!
    so id love to chat with you after your tour and see what you thought of san fran!? and NY as im planning on doing the NY Explorer after the GS Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    cant wait
    P.S. my real name is Jane Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion