Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Australian Weather

2 Jan 2008 HD1712 said

HD1712
Ok, it seems a lot of people ask about the weather conditions in australia. I'm an australian so hopefully this helps.

Dec,Jan,Feb = Summer
Mar,Apr,May = Autumn
Jun,Jul,Aug = Winter
Sep,Oct,Nov = Spring

Now for the areas that contiki travel to along the east coast you will find that between Sydney and Rockhampton the weather can be warm with a nice cool breeze and always have a jacket with you in the evening as it will get cool. In the winter months it will be cold, windy and raining.
Between Rockhampton and Cairns the conditions change rapidly and you will feel the difference it's not so much the heat but the humidity that kills you and makes you feel flat.
Also between October and March it is more tropical in Queensland so please be aware that cyclones are more likely to form in this time. It is also stinger season during this time and you may find beaches are closed because of them.
Between April and September you will find the weather is the best never much rain about it's cool but comfortable and the best time to travel up to northern australia.
Hope this all helps with peoples confusions.
  • 8 Mar 2008 Amelie said

Amelie

How cold does it get in autumn and winter though? Being from Canada and used to winter tempertures sometimes going down to -40c with the windchill, I’m not sure we have the same definition of cold! lol and just how hot does it get during the summer?

I understand this varies from region to region, but I’m just looking at some aproximate tempertures so I can figure out when I would rather go.

• 9 Mar 2008 said

Default_avatar

Hey,

Well I went to Australia end of July and was there until middle of August so that’s the winter. Ur from Canada winter is gorgeous in Australia it never went below 25 degrees and i traveled from Cairns to Sydney. They say Sydney is cooler in the winter, well if your from Canada no need to worry just bring a sweater and you’ll be fine. As for the summer I heard it gets REALLY hot down there like 40 degrees. But if you decide to go in the winter there are no worries weather wise. WE never even got rain!

Trina

• 9 Mar 2008 Timbo said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Amelie:
    How cold does it get in autumn and winter though? Being from Canada and used to winter tempertures sometimes going down to -40c with the windchill, I’m not sure we have the same definition of cold! lol and just how hot does it get during the summer?

I understand this varies from region to region, but I’m just looking at some aproximate tempertures so I can figure out when I would rather go.

Hi there,

Up north (QLD/NT) you can expect 20 to 40 degrees all year round. Though in summer it can rain a lot in the tropics. Best to avoid summer up north in my opinion.

Can hit 40’s in Summer just about anywhere in Australia. So if you don’t like the heat, Autumn or Spring are ideal – not too hot, not too cold.

Winter down in the southern parts of Aus can give you varying temperatures. Anything from 5 degrees to 20 degrees depending on where you are. But it’s really quite mild compared to Canadian winters.

Best time to travel to most parts of Aus is really Apr-May in my opinion Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Hope that helps…

• 10 Mar 2008 sehz_nt said

Default_avatar

Yeah see this isnt quite an accurate description because we dont actually even have Summer/Winter/Autumn/Spring up here in the north (I am in Darwin). We have the Wet Season (October – April) and we have the Dry Season (May – September). VERY self explanatory but in terms of temperatures, you are looking at 25-37C in the Wet Season, which doesnt even really capture just how hot it is because of the outrageous humidity…most days between November and March you get at least one big storm a day but also you can have periods where it rains for a month straight like recently. Around that it is stinking sticky hot but we have air conditioning for that very reason. That being said we get the most wicked storms and sunsets at this time of year.

As for the Dry Season, temps go from around 16-28C and its beautiful clear blue skies and its just bliss. This is the best time of year up here in terms of doing touristy stuff because you can get out to Kakadu and Litchfield (my favourite place for a picnic and a swim on a Saturday with some mates) and you have lovely waterfalls and rock holes etc. The best months are May – August.

This is not quite the same for Central Australia, where the seasons are more like the southern states except more desert-like and the flies are out of control in the middle of the year, drives me crazy whenever I am there!

• 11 Mar 2008 NYCgal9 said

NYCgal9

well i’m going at the end of the month traveling up from sydney to cairns. what’s the weather like now. am i good with shorts and tank tops or will it be getting a little chilly for that? i will be there from 29 march to april 14

• 11 Mar 2008 sehz_nt said

Default_avatar

Depends what weather you are used to. For me, I would be taking some warmer clothes for night time because anything under 20C is really cold for me. During the day shorts and t-shirts should be fine though.

• 13 Mar 2008 Maigan Lepine said

Default_avatar

Hello Everyone! Thanks for the weather tips! I’m a 26 year old from Canada and I’m super excited because I’m doing the Reefs and Rainforests tour on April 10th. I think that Aussies and Canadians have very different definitions of cold, hahaha! I almost peed my pants when I read I’m really cold around 20C! It was just -20 last week here in Canada! Needless to say I’m excited for some “Cold” Aussie weather! I can’t wait.

• 7 May 2008 Samantha said

Samantha

If you are going from Sydney to Cairns, then there really is nothing to worry about with the heat. Up north it is more of a wet/dry season, so be prepared for rain. I’ve been up there a few times in winter and it has been shorts and t-shirt weather for me and I live in Australia. I hope that helps.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.