Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Trip review

25 Aug 2007 nissa said

Default_avatar
This was my first Contiki trip as well as my first trip to Europe so I don't have much to compare it to, but I can tell you what to expect.

I recommend that you either fly in a day early or fly out a day late because otherwise you won't have a lot of time to see the sights in Rome.

The hotel in Rome is the furthest and the least sound-proof (had trouble sleeping the last two nights because of the noise). A lot of Contiki groups stay here and the staff seems quite resentful. The rooms are OK, though. Don't expect the Ritz and you'll be fine.

The hotel in Venice is the best (Holiday Inn) and right next to the train so it was pretty easy to get into Venice.

The hotel in Florence was new and very close to everything, but was the least nice of all three.

I took all the optional stuff (except for the group photo), but if I had to do it over I'd skip the Venice supper (very disappointing), the Florence nightclub (basically just filled with different Contiki groups), and the Rome supper. I loved the Florence supper (out of the city, in the Tuscan hills) and the guided tour of the Forum and Coliseum (but you won't get inside with this tour).

The included suppers and breakfast weren't awful, but not very good.

The trip is very tiring since you're trying to cram in 3 cities in basically 4.5 days. It took me a week to recover and I didn't do any partying on the trip! We got up early every day (6:30 a.m.).

I was also disappointed with the lack of more included tours and the fact that the tour manager didn't do any "getting to know you" activities. Other people who've been on other Contiki trips said this wasn't normal.

I went by myself and had a roommate who was also travelling alone, but out of 50 people on our tour there were only about 5 people travelling alone. I expected more because the Contiki website says 50% of its customers travel alone.

Another thing is that there were way more girls than guys and apparently this is very common for Contiki tours.

I enjoyed my trip because I had a wonderful roommate and because I got to see 3 beautiful cities that I've always wanted to see. However, I wouldn't recommend this particular trip because it's very exhausting and you have very little time to see everything.
  • 28 Aug 2007 charlie said

Default_avatar

hi i will be going on this trip on nov 16 the italian espresso im arriving 1 day before the tour starts im arriving at 9 am rome time that way i have timne to explore the city,i was told that this tour is very exhausting but i guess i will sleep in the bus. im a male from la calif im going sole i hope i see guys on the tour that way i casn have a roomate

• 25 Oct 2007 jackieNY81 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by nissa:
    This was my first Contiki trip as well as my first trip to Europe so I don’t have much to compare it to, but I can tell you what to expect.

I recommend that you either fly in a day early or fly out a day late because otherwise you won’t have a lot of time to see the sights in Rome.

The hotel in Rome is the furthest and the least sound-proof (had trouble sleeping the last two nights because of the noise). A lot of Contiki groups stay here and the staff seems quite resentful. The rooms are OK, though. Don’t expect the Ritz and you’ll be fine.

The hotel in Venice is the best (Holiday Inn) and right next to the train so it was pretty easy to get into Venice.

The hotel in Florence was new and very close to everything, but was the least nice of all three.

I took all the optional stuff (except for the group photo), but if I had to do it over I’d skip the Venice supper (very disappointing), the Florence nightclub (basically just filled with different Contiki groups), and the Rome supper. I loved the Florence supper (out of the city, in the Tuscan hills) and the guided tour of the Forum and Coliseum (but you won’t get inside with this tour).

The included suppers and breakfast weren’t awful, but not very good.

The trip is very tiring since you’re trying to cram in 3 cities in basically 4.5 days. It took me a week to recover and I didn’t do any partying on the trip! We got up early every day (6:30 a.m.).

I was also disappointed with the lack of more included tours and the fact that the tour manager didn’t do any “getting to know you” activities. Other people who’ve been on other Contiki trips said this wasn’t normal.

I went by myself and had a roommate who was also travelling alone, but out of 50 people on our tour there were only about 5 people travelling alone. I expected more because the Contiki website says 50% of its customers travel alone.

Another thing is that there were way more girls than guys and apparently this is very common for Contiki tours.

I enjoyed my trip because I had a wonderful roommate and because I got to see 3 beautiful cities that I’ve always wanted to see. However, I wouldn’t recommend this particular trip because it’s very exhausting and you have very little time to see everything.

I haven’t been on this board in months, but Nissa I think you were on my trip…Danilo by any chance?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.