Community_discussions_small  

Question

Mediterranean + Greek Island Cruise, May 7, 2012

3 Oct 2011 LMF asked

Default_avatar

Hey everyone!

My friends and I just booked this trip. So excited! Join and we can all keep in touch before the trip.

Lauren :)

• 16 Apr 2012 dd_seastar said

dd_seastar

Hi Jacquie….Yay!!! my flight number is AC 890 from Toronto to Rome but the arival time is the same at 9:45am on the way home flight number LH 1279 to Frankfurt Tranfer to an air canada flight AC 877. I was going to take a cab/taxi we should so split on the cab fare to the hotel in Rome (i don’t speak italian lol) . What do you think?

• 16 Apr 2012 Jacquie said

Jacquie

I’m on the same flights home too! Your one from Athens leaves at 1:40 in the afternoon, right? To get into Toronto at 7:35pm? And yeah, I was just going to take a cab to the hotel because its s much easier, but its going to be expensive to go alone. This works out great then! And I have the google translate app on my phone in case we are really struggling ;-).

• 16 Apr 2012 Vinny! said

Vinny!

I am on the same flights. I am pretty sure at least.
    I will be able to help with the Italian! haha, even with translate, Ill know how to enunciate most of it at least. I hope! haha

dd_seastar

Yes Jacquie it does leave at 1:40pm on the way home. I am bringing my cell as well but I don’t have an internet plan….I hope your translation app works well…lol ! now I won’t feel so lost in Rome. I am getting more excited the closer it gets.

• 16 Apr 2012 Vinny! said

Vinny!

I should have probably asked this a lot earlier. I am doing the 7 day cruise.. does that mean that Im on a different tour or what? haha or is just some of it different?

dd_seastar

Hi Vinny… you might just be on a different ship or something…haha. I am glade you can help out with the Italian :). Thanks Vinny!

• 16 Apr 2012 Jacquie said

Jacquie

Yeah, I’m pretty sure its the same tour, but at the end of the land part everyone branches out into their other tours. That is great that at least 3 of us will all be on the same plane! We can survive the 3 hour wait at Pearson, then muddle our way to the hotel together :-).

• 16 Apr 2012 alsrmt said

alsrmt

If you guys want to save money on arrival catch a train from the airport to Piramide station (approx. 7 euros per person). Then take a taxi directly to the hotel. (approx. another 7 euros). I believe this is the best option to save money as the hotel is over 30 km from the airport it could be close to 50 euros and no offence to cabbies but in any country if you don’t speak the language they tend to take advantage and last time I was in Italy they were brutal this is what we’ll be doing

dd_seastar

Sounds like a good option for sure although I can’t seem to find Piramide Sation on the internet..lol.. only Stazione termini station?….hmmmmm

• 25 Apr 2012 Jacquie said

Jacquie

I have a map of the train station now, and found Piramide Station… the train goes straight from the airport to Piramide Station. I’ll be bringing the map, so we can consider doing the train-then-cab option if we feel brave ;-).

In other news: 12 days!

• 25 Apr 2012 Vinny! said

Vinny!

you know you guys can book a trip to the hotel with Contiki right? Ive done this, it cost 35 bucks and there is someone with your name on a sign waiting for you at the airport and will take you right to the hotel. Why use your brain when you just get off a long flight? haha

• 25 Apr 2012 Jacquie said

Jacquie

On the itinerary it says that had to be arranged at the time of booking your trip… so I hadn’t considered it as an option.

• 25 Apr 2012 luckybride2012 said

luckybride2012

I talked to the Contiki rep to see when our ‘free’ day in Rome is and she said the 4th day, which by my calculations would be Thursday the 10th. What do you guys think? I’m trying to make reservations to the Borghese Gallery. Also, just so everyone knows, Contiki will only pay for our admission to the Vatican… everything else we have to pay for out of pocket. With this info I have decided it would advantageous to buy a Roma pass. Just thought I’d share that with you all. Let me know if anyone can confirm that Thursday is in fact our ‘free’ day, Thanks! Can’t wait to meet you guys :)

• 26 Apr 2012 Jacquie said

Jacquie

From what I can figure out from the package we got in the mail, Thursday the 10th is our free day. They say days 1 and 2 are travelling days (7th leave your country, 8th get into rome), the 3rd is guided (9th) and the 4th is a free day (10th).

I really want to do the catacombs of San Callisto and San Sebastino, and the Mamertine Prison, and the Crypt of the Capuchin Monks, and the Museo Nazionale Romano, and of course the Trevi Fountain, and and – well, I think I would need more than a single free day hahaha. I am so excited!

Can’t wait to see everyone!!

• 27 Apr 2012 lou_85 said

lou_85

On our free day I’m hoping to make my way to the bocca della verita (I think thats spelt right), the mouth of truth. Can’t believe its so soon :)

• 1 May 2012 Explorer1301080 said

Default_avatar

Hi everyone! I’m Lauren’s friend. (Lauren – why did I laugh when I saw you started this post? haha! Love yah).

Is anyone going a day early? Lauren and I are traveling the 6th and arriving the 7th so we’ll be there hanging out if anyone wants to meet up :)

Look forward to meeting you!

Kristi

• 1 May 2012 alsrmt said

alsrmt

Rob and I will be there on the 7th we’ll be arriving at 1:30 and most likely will get to the hotel by between 3-4 looking forward to meeting everyone, any plans for the 8th during the day? I know the meeting isn’t until 4

• 1 May 2012 Explorer1301080 said

Default_avatar

That is great! Have you booked a room there yet? How much is it? We were thinking about just staying at a hostel that night to save $$. We have not made any official plans yet. What are your plans?

Also, what are people doing about international plans/messaging?

Here is the website to register with the embassy: http://italy.usembassy.gov/acs/travel.html
    It’s called the “smart traveler enrollment program.” It’s being slow as …. right now, though. Frustrating!

Kristi

• 1 May 2012 BrandineDanielle said

BrandineDanielle

Very excited for this adventure! :)

• 2 May 2012 alsrmt said

alsrmt

We are booked at the Regent just did it with the tour so not sure what the cost was we just wanted to keep it simple for our arrival we were thinking of maybe going out of town for a wine tour during the day on the 8th haven’t decided yet, if we do we’ll miss the 4 pm meeting does anyone know if its mandatory?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion