Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Money and Phones

21 Feb 2009 Corkers said

Default_avatar
Going on the European Inspiration tour in July and have questions on two quick subjects:

1) Money- I'll be taking some cash, a credit card, maybe traveler's checks. But what do you think of debit cards? Is there a specific debit card that would be readily accepted in Europe? What about the Visa debit?

2)I'm thinking about the pros cons of taking my cell phone. I don't think I really need it, and will probably get an international calling card. But what are other people doing, or have most people done on their trips?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
  • 21 Feb 2009 Andrea (Ea) said

Andrea (Ea)

At the advice of my cousin, a contiki alum, I’m bringing a debit card and cash. Just stick with a major bank/credit card company. Traveler’s checks can be a bit of a hassle in some places, though they are safest. Also, I suggest notifying you bank as to when and where you will be traveling so that you charges are not questioned. Be careful of European ATM machines, as many will eat the card if a second attempt is made at a machine after a mistake typing in your pin number the first go around.

As for the cell phone, I’m having a similar debate… I will probably bring mine. Despite the roaming charges, it will make me feel more secure I think.

• 22 Feb 2009 EmJay87 said

Default_avatar

i recommend the NAB Gold visa debit… it has $12 a month fees and you dont get charged for using international atms, unlike most backs who have really high fees for this. I used it when i went last year for 2 months and had no problems

as for cell phone, you could check out the Go Sim mobile sim card or just buy an Orange sim card when your in London, that way ppl can contact u if something happens bak home rather then having them wait for u to call… but my tip is to buy a lot of credit b4 ur trip because u may not be able to reload some cards in all countries

• 5 Mar 2009 Nat said

Default_avatar

Hey not sure where you’re from but ANZ do a good visa debit type card you just load whatever currency on it so no currency conversion fees, all you do is pay $10 if you have money left over at the end to get it off.
    As for a mobile, i took mine but i used that instead of an ipod. Contiki give you an international sim card too and you can just top up over the phone as you need it.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion