Community_discussions_small  

Question

The do's and don'ts.....??

14 Oct 2011 emilyu17 asked

emilyu17

hey guys, my sister and i are going on the road to athens tour in june and we want to hear peoples advice from past experience. We are really just asking for general tips. Eg. how much spending money, what to pack and even a great restaurant you may have stumbled across randomly some where in europe. Just anything you loved and think it should be shared. I would love to know anything and im sure a lot of others would love it to and find it helpful.

• 18 Oct 2011 Explorer~1987 said

Explorer~1987

I just did a 20 day European tour! I ended up spending around AU$175 a day… I did do alot of shopping in London & Florence. I did all the optionals Nouvelle Eve is a MUST DO!! If you do the Parisan dinner you must get the Duck as a main meal. It was the best meal i had the whole trip. When your in Paris you must have a Nutella crepe.. AMAZING! In florence you can try the local pizza. It was the best pizza we had! Lunch meals were approx 12-18 Euro.. Dinners were around $25 Euro… Drinks were quite expensive out but at the contiki sites they were really cheap. ! I did the gondola ride in Venice and it was so much fun – You must try the Peach wine – I wish i took a bottle home. I suggest you do all the optionals as your only there once! not sure on what else to tell you except that you WILL have an amazing time!

• 18 Oct 2011 Explorer1147179 said

Default_avatar

First off, enjoy the trip!! I’m jealous haha.

I spent around 3 months in Europe in 2009, and am happy to say go back quite regularly.
    –In terms of spending money, I was spending around $50$100 a day. I’m a guy and I don’t shop, that was more for food and getting into museums etc. Lunch can be anywhere from 3 euro if you get some food from a local stall (generally recommended by my tour guide and then recommended by me after trying it) up to obviously the upper-class restaurants which can be 40 euro and above. I’ve had heard stories of people spending 12 euro for coffee in Italy so my advice is to not really budget daily spending. Live the way you want to live and do the things you want to do..the trip becomes much more memorable that way. Also, the worst thing that you could do is come home and have regrets saying oh should have done that and this would have been good etc etc. That’s why I also recommend giving ALL optionals a go. They are definitely worth it and add to the experience.
    -In terms of what to pack, completely up to you. Is there anything you’d like to know in detail? All I can say is that in June it will be hot, especially in the Mediterranean countries, so pack summer clothes.

I love Europe as a whole. That’s why I say just go and enjoy it and take advantage of you being there. I’m sure you’ll develop plenty of friendships, memories, and good times, the places you’re going to are utterly awesome.

So again, enjoy and have a great trip!

• 18 Oct 2011 emilyu17 said

emilyu17

Wow thanks guys! Your making europe sound even better!! i can not wait to go I’m so excited! haha I’ll be sure to make note of these’s tips, thanks again. Very much appreciated :)

• 14 Nov 2011 Explorer1307236 said

Default_avatar

I think i spent around $150 a day on my 20 day tour. I bought alot of souveniers and did some shopping. We tried doing all the site seeing. Done all the optionals. One thing we loved was the food. About 6 of us went to a restaurant for lunch and we all ordered something different and shared it out. That way we got to taste all the dishes. We paid about 12 Euro for lunch (Not including Tips) and Dinners were around 20-25 Euro (Not including Tips). If the Waiter brings ou bread or dips make sure you ask how much it is. Nothing is Free in Europe. Also ask for the prices of drinks at the restaurants before having them. At one restaurant we paid 8 Euro each for a small glass of Coke! That was in Venice! Hope u have a great time~

• 14 Nov 2011 emilyu17 said

emilyu17

thanks ill remember the tips, there great! thanks again.

• 5 Dec 2011 Explorer1329361 said

Default_avatar

I found this blog that reviewed Contiki Europe tour – but just the food/restaurants …some good advice !
    It looks like this guy/girl is not finished yet though….so perhaps they will post more soon

http://eatfamilylove.com/index.php/middle-childs-culinary-compass/

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion