Community_discussions_small  

Question

Moving to the UK

20 Oct 2011 Kurt_T asked

Kurt_T

Is anybody else getting a UK Working Visa and how are you going to go about finding a job and a place to stay?

• 20 Oct 2011 lou_85 said

lou_85

I am… I’ve been looking at all sorts of websites but I don’t really know what to do yet. At the moment I’m thinking of joining one of those companies that you pay and they find a job and accommodation for you. If that fails (or turns out to be dodgy) I’ll try and line up a job before I leave home. Got to get my visa first though!.
    When will you be over there?

• 21 Oct 2011 Kurt_T said

Kurt_T

Doing a Contiki tour late April, so I’ll be in London at the end of may. Hopefully I can find a job before I go, don’t really want to be searching for one whilst I’m over there. When abouts are you heading over?

• 23 Oct 2011 lou_85 said

lou_85

I’m leaving Aus at the start of April and doing some travelling first (I’m doing 3 contiki’s and a week or 2 on my own inbetween) and will end up in the UK mid June, I’ve got a friend working in Scotland and am not sure if I’ll join her yet. I’ve been looking at places over there and I’d like to work outside of London but really I don’t think I’ll be fussy as long as there’s a job and a bed for me to sleep in!.
    When will you be applying for your YMV?

• 28 Oct 2011 corriehartley said

corriehartley

Hey guys im heading over to try and live in the UK in december…
    Solo so if any of u guys wanna meet up and travel id be more than happy to have the company..
    I applied for my britshpassport and was aceppted so im all go..
    Let me no if ya wanna chat up

• 28 Oct 2011 Explorer1307431 said

Default_avatar

Hi,
    Just saw this discussion and thought I would give some tips. I am already living in the UK on a work visa and it wasn’t that hard to find a job once I was here. You do more or less have to be here though to get one. Just seriously dedicate yourself to your first week wherever you decide to live and hand out resume’s. I would suggest looking at chain hotels, I have a couple friends who are working in them, in the serving part and in the front desks. Also bars of course usually are a good place. Once you have a job to give you some cash, you can then look for one you might like more. As for finding a place again this is something you might want to do once you are here. Start by looking at gumtree, spareroom.com, easyroomate, and sites like that. Maybe get to know the people first. Your first week set yourself up in a hostel and then also have appointments booked to go look at places. There are some pretty dodgy ones out there, and some pretty far out so it is better if you kind of give yourself a chance to get to know the area first. Hope some of this helped, just sharing things friends and I did. I am in Manchester but I know a lot of people who moved to London and definitely needed to follow these things. Good luck

• 30 Oct 2011 Courtney said

Default_avatar

that was helpful thanks :) im going over in june doing a contiki till easrly aug i am planning to stay over there for awhile hopefully 1 – 2 years i have a brittish passport so im all set :) im keen to find some people that are also keen to work travel and live over there am keen to get ot no people that i can share with :)

• 31 Oct 2011 Kurt_T said

Kurt_T

was very helpful thanks :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion