Community_discussions_small  

Question

Solo trip to USA - Worried about travelling alone

24 Oct 2011 Jessett asked

Jessett

HI guys,

I have been mulling over and over with what tour I'll be going on, and I'm thinking of doing the 5 day LA explorer next year. I'll be traveling solo, and it will be my first time going overseas. As you could imagine it's a little bit daunting to be taking such a big step.

My question is, I have read many times that you will find friends on you tour to visit places with etc, has there been an odd occasion where you have been left on your own? I'm not worried I won't meet people to hang out with - but the thought scares the pants off me! Most people will have their own things they would want to see, so I guess i'm just interested to know how it all works, because obviously, there would be no way I'd be wandering the streets by myself, and I don't want to miss out on doing things if no one else wanted to do them!

Somebody cool my nerves please!! :))

• 24 Oct 2011 Tamara21 said

Tamara21

Hi,
    Im going on the 3 day LA explorer and the LA to the Bay tour in dec. This is my first big trip and I am going on my own, but via this website and the Contiki page on facebook, I have been in contact with a few girls. I think on a bus of 20 + people, there is bound to be someone who has something in common with you! So just relax, book it and Enjoy!!

• 26 Oct 2011 Jessett said

Jessett

Thankyou! I can’t wait to go just had a few nerves about it! But definitely will be going. Good luck on your trip!! :))

• 26 Oct 2011 Tamara21 said

Tamara21

thanks! I hope you have a blast too!!

• 26 Oct 2011 Kirsty said

Kirsty

Hey Jessett! Do it! I did the LA Explorer and Wild Western last year by myself and enjoyed every minute of it! Don’t be scared! I promise you will have the best time of your life! I’m going on another USA Contiki next week for a month by myself (Grand Southern and NY Explorer) because I loved it so much! I’d never travelled alone prior to Contiki. You meet the nicest people! No one gets left on their down, there are always people who want to do what you want to do. You won’t regret it! :)

• 26 Oct 2011 Jessett said

Jessett

Thanks!! I think i’ve decided to do the Western Highlights and the LA explorer. Would do a longer tour, but I have to come back to work at some point!! Haha :)

But thanks for the tip, I know it will be amazing, and I can’t WAIT to go. Everyone, even on here sounds so lovely, so I can’t wait to meet some of you that will be going when i book! :DD

• 26 Oct 2011 TravelJunkie said

Default_avatar

All the Contikis I’ve done, I’ve done alone, traveling alone is the best — liberating feeling…And you meet a ton of people, It’s inevitable that you’ll make a ton of friends, and I’m still in touch with half the people I met on my contikis.

• 17 Dec 2011 Jane85 said

Default_avatar

This post is a few months old, but if you haven’t gone yet, I’d totally recommend travelling solo….I did the grand southern usa solo last year and had the same reservations. I met several people via facebook who were on my contiki prior to leaving, which made it less daunting come the start of the tour, but about half were solo travellers & in exactly the same boat & as has been said, it is really liberating :) Would definately go solo again. Good luck & I hope you have the best time, Jane

• 18 May 2012 Explorer1296421 said

Default_avatar

I was thinking of going on the LA Explorer in december 2012 alone, then to nyc and washington dc. ALONE, kinda frightened but it should be good for us! First solo trip over seas

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion