Community_discussions_small  

Question

Best Airline to fly Sydney - London

24 Oct 2011 beccaamy asked

beccaamy

I'm planning my first trip in Septemeber 2012 and I've never been on an International flight so I need some reviews.

Best airlines? Worst? Hit me up!

• 24 Oct 2011 Anthony said

Anthony

Emirates or british airways are pretty good. Emirates seem to be abit cheaper though. Have a look at www.webjet.com for prices, apart from that, I have flown emirates a few times, no dramas so far.

• 31 Oct 2011 Explorer1312546 said

Default_avatar

Hey beccaamy I’m thinking of heading to London the same time nxt yr. Tossing up between a couple of tours. Which tour r u doing?

• 31 Oct 2011 beccaamy said

beccaamy

European contrasts – 6 sept 2012 :)

• 31 Oct 2011 raj864 said

Default_avatar

I’m going to london in 6 weeks and im flying with emirates. I have heard good things about them and they were one of the cheapest i could find without ending up somewhere in china haha. Plus the layover in Dubai sounds good. But really, most airlines would be pretty good in terms of service on the long flights. I’ll let you know how it all goes.

• 13 Nov 2011 adam63 said

adam63

Hi there.

In regards to your question it really depends on the price you are wanting to pay and the services you receive on board that will probably help make up your mind.

Heaps of airlines fly to London from Sydney and it depends on where you connect via as to what airline you fly with. Emirates and British Airways are both very good airlines but can be a bit pricey. Try to avoid smaller airlines like Royal Brunei for example, becasue although their fares to London are cheap, they have very strict flexibility in stopover cities(actually you don’t have a choice- you stop in brunei) and the length of connection time can often be ridiculously long.

It’s hard to specifically pick an airline because again it depends on how much you’re willing to pay. What I would suggest though is going to a travel agent to book the flights. Whilst websites like Webjet are great for comparing prices, they charge booking fees and reservation fees, and if anything should go wrong it’s very hard to fix. Travel Agents are better equiped to tell you about connecting times and other things that a website won’t tell you- on the internet you only know what you know; if you don’t know you won’t find out.

Hope some of that helped. Don’t worry about flying though, you’ll be fine regardless.

• 14 Nov 2011 Explorer1307236 said

Default_avatar

I did my first Contiki this year and went with Qantas. They were really great. I had a connecting flight on the way with British Airways. I didn’t like them at all. There wasn’t as much foot room. I always get an aisle seat so i can get out whenever i want. I would definitely fly Qantas again. I have also recently used Singapore Airlines and Emirates. They were both really good. Singapore and Qantas had the best service! Just a small tip – Make sure you do take GOOD ear plugs. Didn’t use them on my way over and got travel sick but i used them coming home and slept most of the way!!

I just booked my flights from the internet. Didn’t use a travel agent. Try make sure there is at least 90 minutes between flights though!

• 14 Nov 2011 AJ said

AJ

I recommend etihad or emirates – they are a bit pricey especially if you book yourself and if your flying one way but if your under 26 go into STA travel and see what kind of price they can give you.

• 22 Jan 2012 Cat said

Cat

I would recommend British Airways, QANTAS or Singapore Airlines. There the companies that I have flown with to the UK since living in Aus. However, I also here Emirates and Etihad are pretty good as well. Just depends on how much you are willing to pay.
    There are a few websites that can also get student discounts (http://www.statravel.com.au/home.htm) and webjet and bestflights.com also seem like they have good deals.
    I would however, recommend NOT going for budget airlines, as its the same as domestic in this country… You have to pay for your food and drinks and blankets and stuff like that.

Hope this was helpful in anyway !

• 22 Jan 2012 Rhys said

Rhys

Qantas and Emirates are great, If you’ve got some extra cash for your flights the JAL (Japan Air) have some flights with an included overnight stop over in Japan which is quite good with the jet lag. Check out a some of my tips over at http://insydetravel.info and if you have any questions just ask.

• 12 Feb 2012 Robin said

Robin

Does anyone have an effective method to deal with jet lag?

• 13 Feb 2012 Bella91 said

Default_avatar

I flew with Qantas, who were great. But a lot of my friends have flown with Emirates, and said it was fairly cheap and the 30kg bag weight limit was really helpful on the way back!
    Also Robin – the best way to get over jet lag is to get into synch with the country you’re going to asap. i.e. if you land at 5am in the morning in london, don’t go to bed then, wait till that night. Otherwise you will just prolong it.

• 8 Mar 2012 Campbell said

Default_avatar

Im traveling to europe in dec 12/ jan 13 whats the best air flight

• 17 Mar 2012 Explorer1307236 said

Default_avatar

@ Robin – I went from Brisbane – London and didn’t get jet lag. But when i arrived home i did. Try to get a flight which arrives in mid morning – Afternoon and don’t go to sleep until night. Take good quality ear plugs on the plane especially if you get ear aches or motion sickness. Another tip – Change the time on your clock as soon as you get there. It really helps as your not going to be thinking about what time it is back home!

• 17 Mar 2012 Tara1048658 said

Tara1048658

I would say Virgin Atlantic are really good and beat any other price too

• 17 Mar 2012 Dee said

Dee

I’m flying Emirates to London from Sydney in a couple of weeks. The stop over isn’t that long either. I heard only good things about Emirates.

• 17 Mar 2012 two_encounter said

two_encounter

Etihad Airways flies Sydney to London via Abu Dhabi

• 26 Mar 2012 jimbob24! said

Default_avatar

You have plenty of options, I would suggest to you, check all your sources (Ie: Travel agents, Airlines, etc) and make an informed choice.

In terms of airlines you could fly with you have quite a few, You could fly Virgin Australia and connect with Etihad in Abu Dhabi to your destination, you could fly Emirates via Dubai, Singapore and Bangkok, Qantas through Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore, Air New Zealand via Auckland and Los Angeles. Royal Brunei via Melbourne, Bander Seri Begawan and Dubai (you can get a direct service from BSB on select dates), Virgin Atlantic via Hong Kong. Malaysian through KL…

Realistically the choices are endless, at the end of the day, you need to make your choice based on a few key things, Reputation, Connections, Product and Service, and most importantly – Cost ;)

Hope that helps.

• 26 Mar 2012 Maik said

Maik

Qantas and Singapore Airlines are awesome. Emirates too, arcording to a friend.
    The food in economy class on all airlines is just awesome! QF1 (SYD-LON) has a fuel stop in Singapore.

Make sure to signup for their frequent flyer programs. The Qantas miles you can collect are worth one domestic flight like Cairns→Sydney.

And if you gonna fly with any Star Alliance airline (Singapore Airlines, Air New Zealand), send me a message. I have a tip how you can achieve the Star Alliance Gold Status with just one round trip (Sydney London). Lounge access, priority check in, free additional luggage….

• 26 Mar 2012 Bec14 said

Bec14

i have recently booked my flight over to uk and we had the same issue of which airline.
    we chose emirates (i have flown with them before), but as 3 of our group are really tall, there is a bit more leg room than some other airlines, they have a bigger baggage allowance, were cheaper than alot of other airlines and flight time wasnt to bad. about 26hrs flight total.
    our stops go from brisbane – singapore – dubai – london.
    and total stop over in dubai is 3hrs so thats not painful but long enough to get something to eat, freshen up etc.
    my biggest thing was flight time, we could have gone the cheaper flights (by about $250-$300 each) but it meant that our flight time would have been up to 60hrs which just was crazy.
    my advice would be just think about what you require (leg room, baggage etc) and deciede by that.

• 27 Mar 2012 Banjo82ben said

Banjo82ben

Maik that is a good point i didn’t think about? i’m just about to book flights Cairns to London return for September and i haven’t thought about getting points??

does anyone know who has better reward programs?? if you going to spend $2-$2.5k might as well get a free domestic flight.. or better perks while traveling? lounge sounds good!!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion