Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Grand Adventurer Jan 08. Needing Advice about EVERYTHING

15 Jun 2007 blodwen181 said

Default_avatar
Hiya,
I'm going on the Grand Adventurer in late January next year, Christchurch to Auckland and while I am aware that I'm sorting things out perhaps a little too early, I can't help myself (far too excited) and I have questions that need answering from people who have already been.

1. While January is the middle of summer, I've heard it can get cold. Should I take a coat and general winter gear or will I be fine with jeans and t-shirts?

2. I've read that we should have $50 a day for spending but being a student, I can't afford nearly that much. I was only going to take enough money for the meals that weren't provided and little extra things, no shopping or anything... a necessary sacrifice. Do you think that I'll be all right or that I should expect to be sepending a lot more?

3. In your experience, cash or credit card, which is better?

4. Is it difficult to find a place and time to do laundry?

5. I want to do sky diving, canyon swinging and white water rafting in queenstown, do you reckon I could fit it all in?

6. What was the accomadation like?

7. Do you have to pay for the travel between the optional extras yourself?

8. Is there a t.v/dvd player on the coach?

While I would appreciate input on this pretensiously numbered list, any useful tips you'd have for the inexperienced traveller would be just dandy.

Thanks a bundle for putting up with my anxious babble,

Sarah.
  • 17 Jun 2007 kazza25 said

Default_avatar

hey sarah. incessant babble it isnt. and its good to think about this stuff early. i went on the explorer last year, and enjoyed it thoroughly, only difference is i went up to the bay of islands.
    1. take a couple of jumpers with you, weather is unpredictable.
    2. ok understanding your a student $50 should be about right, unless you go to the pub every night. but $50 sounds about right.
    3. i did cash but sometimes wished i had a credit card. most optionals are either cash or credit card.
    4. make time to do laundry, most of the places you stay from memory have laundry facilities on site, but you do have to pay for them.
    5. queenstown is a piece of cake, you write down what you want to do and your tour manager books it in. plus you have 2 full days in queenstown. if your tour manager cant get you into something they will let you know immediately.
    6.accommodation was basically backpackers. quad twin or triple share or double. you get to choose what you want. most of it was great except for waitomo because your out in farming country.
    7. nope travel between optional excursions is free usually a bus comes and picks you up, drops you at your destination then picks you up again.
    8. yep theres a dvd player on the coach, although we hardly used it. basically just cranked up the radio or we slept.

another piece of information. dont overpack, and i really recommend a suitcase with wheels.
    cheers hope it helps some. enjoy your trip i know i did

• 19 Jun 2007 Danz said

Default_avatar

Hi Sarah

Im also planning to visit New Zealand and going on that tour in late January- Where will you be coming from?

Cant wait! Cool<!--graemlin::cool:-->

• 19 Jun 2007 blodwen181 said

Default_avatar

Thanks kazza! To hear it from a person rather than a brochure is so much more helpful.
    And hello to Danz! Its nice to see that someone else is getting in early as well! I am coming from Australia, Sydney to be more specific. What about you?

• 12 Jul 2007 Jhar said

Default_avatar

hey all,
    wht dates r u all going? im doing the adventurer on the 4th of feb, cnt wait too!! haha if anyone’s going the same dates id luv to chat lol…
    cheers guys
    j

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.