Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Need honest information about Contiki

14 Jul 2007 trashywilma said

Default_avatar
Is 2 days enough to see major cities like Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, or Paris?
looking at some of the tours, I get the feeling you spend most of the time on the bus and a few hours sightseeing.

What time do you need to wake up on the tour?

Are the tour guides from Contiki competent?

What's the best way to nurse a hangover on a bus (or do you just keep drinking)?

How do you avoid stomach problems on a 21+ day trip. Thanks!
  • 15 Jul 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

How much time you spend in the cities varies greatly depending on the tour. If you’re concerned about time in the cities look towards a getaway tour or a tour which has a lot of 2 night stops. Morning departures are usually in the 7am or 8am time frame and it’s usually a half day on the bus from city to city. You’ll have enough time to see the highlights of a city depending on how ambitious you are.

• 15 Jul 2007 Gryphon said

Default_avatar

Didn’t really have too much of a problem with sightseeing with only 1 day in Amsterdam. Most people aren’t keen on visiting every sight in a city, but even if you are, you could still fit it in with a bit of efficient planning.

Days are pretty early on some of the tours, maybe 6-7 am on most days, but you get to catch up on sleep on the bus, so it’s not a problem.

Had a really great TM on my Europe trip, but I think most of Contiki’s TMs are generally pretty fun, so don’t have to worry too much about that.

• 22 Jul 2007 Tara said

Default_avatar

If you plan your day out well, I saw all the sights I wanted to see in about 10 hours in Prague. Yes it was rushed doing and seeing everything. But I had a great time.
    Spent an extra day in Berlin, but with the contiki guide that we had for the day, which was super! I learned everything I needed to learn about the history of the city.
    Paris I have seen before, but I was able to see quite a few other things.
    YOu pick and choose what you want to see and look at a map and see what is close and go from there.
    The Contiki guides have been more than competent.
    I didn’t drink too much on my 3 tours to have to nurse a hangover on the bus. I was more into the sights. Other people drank, they slept it off on the bus.

• 23 Jul 2007 MEAGAN said

Default_avatar

I did a contiki tour and felt that it was enough to see the highlights. I am now a travel agent and while i don’t know how to get between cities and where exactly certain monuments are in comparison to other things, i wouldnt have had it any other way. You need to consider….if you have time to spend 5 days in each city you will get to see it a lot more in depth, however if you only have a short time i would suggest taking a tour eg contiki/trafalgar/cosmos GOOD LUCK! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 23 Jul 2007 mella_d said

Default_avatar

in paris, there’s never enough time! theres way too much to see, and i noticed walking between everything took the most time. also waiting in line for the eiffel tower was time consuming, finding our way out of the lourve was huge too. but i guess it depends what u really want to see. our tour manager said we should pick only 3 things that we really want to see, then everything else is a bonus.

a full day in amsterdam, plus the afternoon/night before, i found was heaps of time to see things, and 2 nights checking out the nightlife was good.

waking up? some mornings, the earliest were when we were travelling, and i think 7.00 was the earliest leaving time, though it was mostly 8, or even 8.30

our guide was good, but also everywhere you go, there are reps, who stay in the cities and they know who to talk to if they dont have the answers.

hangovers? they suck, especially on the bus, but the bus stops every 2 or 2 and 1/2 hours for 45 minutes each stop, which is good- to eat greasy food and stretch out, and sleeping on the bus becomes very easy after a couple of days. and if u are sick, people on our tour sat on the steps at the front of the bus for a bit, and talked to the tm and driver, so it wasnt too bad… and theres plenty of plastic bags… lol. good luck, have fun :-)

• 27 Jul 2007 cherree said

Default_avatar

There’s never enough time in my opinion. Yes, the tour is quick and you’re always on the go but I wouldn’t have it any other way!

It all depends on what you want and what you’re there for. I was travelling on my own so definitely wanted a tour and I know how great Contiki are.

The tour leader gives you an overload of information and points you in the right direction. You get maps and optional pick ups. If you don’t want to eat with the rest of your tour group, you don’t have to. If you want to be out later than your tour group, you can. You control your own destiny!! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

The bus. Oh, the bus. You’ll get to know every inch of that mode of transport. Yes, you spend a bit of time on it, but think of it as a way to catch up on sleep!! The best way to get over a hangover is to sleep as soon as the bus journey starts, get lots of fried food and water and sugary stuff on the first stop, and of course get drinking asap!!! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Stomach problems weren’t a problem at all on my tour. It’s not Bali so no Bali belly applicable.

As for tour managers, ours was awesome. Always on a high, always with great advice. It all depends on your attitude I reckon; if you’re up for a fun filled, awesome adventure – you’ll get one!!

Enjoy and if you have any other questions, shoot.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.