Community_discussions_small  

Question

Belarus visa??

5 Nov 2011 Jen_au asked

Jen_au

Hi all!! Has anyone who's recently done the Scandinavia and Russia tour from Australia?? Did you need a visa for Belarus?!!? Was it hard to get seeings we don't have an embassy here?!?!? I've tried looking online and it looks like you can get a visa at the airport on arrival but doesn't really say anything for if you're driving in that I could find!!! Please help!!!!! :D

• 8 Nov 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

I took the tour back in 2006 and our TM arranged a group visa when we were in Moscow. It’s a transit visa since you’re only there overnight. I would double check on this though since it was so long ago.

• 9 Nov 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Oh awesome thank you for that, that’s a relief! :) I thought it would be as complicated as getting the Russian one which looks a little daunting!!! When I book I’ll double check with Contiki if it’s still the same as it was back then!! Did you enjoy the tour when you did it?!?

• 9 Nov 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

I did, it was a great tour. the local guides were fantastic and while the Russia portion of the tour was a little more guided then contiki normally does, we did still have free time. St. Petersburg is a beautiful city, Moscow shows you the more communist side of Russia. A great experience!

• 10 Nov 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Oh great!!! I am so excited for Russia!! I went to Europe last year and my favourite cities were the ex communist ones I visited (Budapest, Prague and Berlin). I just love how totally different it feels from the rest of Europe and home!!! Oh I can’t wait to go a-travelling again!!!!! :D

• 28 Nov 2011 BecS said

BecS

I’m doing the Scandi/Russia tour next year and my travel agent said the only VISA required is for Russia. They did say that it sometimes takes a while to process the Russian VISA… sometimes 5 weeks. They never mentioned anything about a VISA for Belarus. Thanks for mentioning – I’ll look into it myself as well!

• 28 Nov 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

No worries BecS!! Though hopefully it wont be a problem!! Have you applied for your Russian Visa yet?? When are you planning on going??

• 29 Nov 2011 BecS said

BecS

I’ll be going in June. I haven’t applied for my Visa yet… I was told that I should be safe waiting until I’ve paid off the tour (which I think is due n April).

• 29 Nov 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Oh awesome!! I’m gonna go in August, can’t wait!!!! :D

• 4 Dec 2011 KristyChippa said

KristyChippa

I did this tour in July this year and your tour manager will still organise your belerus visa, you just need a passport picturre and $87 US dollars to pay for it. This price is for Australians only, prices for other contries are different anyone fron the UK and USA will have to pay more. If you forget a passport picture dont stress I got mine done in a both on tour

• 4 Dec 2011 BecS said

BecS

Thanks for that – I’m surprised it’s not mentioned anywhere in the brochures and stuff, it’s not like $87 is loose change or anything. And that was in addition to the Russia visa??

• 4 Dec 2011 KristyChippa said

KristyChippa

That is in addition to the russian visa. I didn’t find out till our tour manager told us on tour.

• 23 Feb 2012 BecS said

BecS

Just double checked the whole Belarus visa thing with my travel agent today. She says that it gets organised while on tour as well. She also told me not to get too organised and get the visa myself because there’s issues involved getting your Russian visa if you’ve already applied for a visa to Belarus and visa versa. So no overpreparedness for this trip I guess :)

• 23 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

awesome thanks for that BecS!!! I double checked with my travel agent but she was pretty vague and was like, “ah we’ll follow it up later” :S Getting closer to your trip now!! Are you getting excited?!?!? I booked mine the other week and am pumped as!!

• 26 Feb 2012 BecS said

BecS

Hell yeah – can’t wait! I definitely need a getaway! And travelling is just half the fun – I love researching all the new places I’ll be going to beforehand. I’ve just never been to Europe before, so I’m a little bit nervous moreso than usual, but very excited at the same time :)

• 27 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Oh awesome!!! I’m sure you’ll have an awesome time, Europe is amazing!!!! :D Are you doing any other Europe tours or just this one?!?

• 27 Feb 2012 HongTaylor said

Default_avatar

If you are marrying overseas and intend returning to the US ..as long as you are a US citizen and earn enongh .

• 28 Feb 2012 BecS said

BecS

I’ve only got 5 weeks off of work, so it’s a ‘mid-sized’ holiday for me! Was considering the London Explorer but still not sure and I don’t think that really counts as a tour anyway. I do intend to come back in a couple of years and do a more ‘traditional’ tour with Paris, Rome and all those lovely places that make up Western Europe. Not sure if I’ll be contiki-ing it though cause there’ll be a bunch of us going.

You seem to know a lot about Europe… guessing you’ve contiki’d a lot around, with many more adventures to come :)

And for previous poster… I’m not sure where you’re getting at, but I’m sure I’ll be fine. I’m not intending to marry overseas (this trip anyway lol) and I don’t live in the US either. Might apply for some people I guess ???

• 28 Feb 2012 Carlos Marrufo said

Carlos Marrufo

If you’re a US citizen, you have to get your Russian and Belarusan visa before you leave foe the tour! Apparently the TM organizes Belarusan visas for Australians, Kiwis and Europeans (some countries) only. But citizens from the US have to get it done in their country and have it in their passport before they depart…just a heads up for all fellow Americans!

• 28 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Oh awesome about going back to see more countries!!!! Everywhere (at least what I’ve seen) in Europe is just so beautiful! lol yeah I was over there for 2 months about 18 months ago and did two contiki’s and a topdeck tour in that time so got a fair few countries ticked off the to do list!!! I am going back in August this year and am planning on going again next April so I can go to Gallipolli for ANZAC day. I’m a bit of a travel nerd, I have just as much fun researching places and dreaming about them before they go lol!!! :D
    hahah at least HongTaylor has you covered if you change your mind lol!!!!!
    Oh good info Marrufo!! Would suck to get all the way there and then have to miss a section of the tour because of a missing Belarusan visa!!!!

• 3 Mar 2012 BecS said

BecS

Haha, I like that – travel nerd! I’ll have to start using that term! I’ve been meaning to go to Europe for the last 6 years or so but I’ve been addicted to the US that I keep putting it on hold. Last time I went to the US I greyhounded around on my own for 8 weeks, I’m starting to know the place pretty well. I’ve got an inbuilt map of NYC in my brain :)

And Gallipolli for ANZAC Day would be amazing! That’s definitely on my bucket list of things to do too.

And I got the Lonely Planet ‘Eastern Europe’, which of course says that ALL visitors require a visa and regulations change quite frequently so it is best to check with your nearest Belarusian embassy beforehand. There are 4 types of visas; Tourist visa, Guest visa, Business visa and Transit visa. And if you are in Belarus for more than 5 working days you must get your visa officially registered which you can get done by your hotel. It goes on for a while and it’s sounds a bit complicated – so glad that the TM organises it!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion