Community_discussions_small  

Question

Scandinavia & Russia 26 days May 20 2012

7 Nov 2011 Heady asked

Default_avatar

Hey guys

Just putting it out there to see who is doing this tour. This is my second tour and traveling with a mate of mine.

Craig

• 10 Nov 2011 Sus said

Sus

Hi,

I’m joining the tour in Stockholm on June 1st for the Russian part. I did the Scandinavian part in September of this year. It was awesome, you will have a great time! If you have any questions about Scandinavia let me know.

Sus

• 14 Nov 2011 Jacqui said

Default_avatar

Damn……i’m on June 17th 2012’s tour….

• 17 Nov 2011 Heady said

Default_avatar

Hi Sus,
    Oh really? Well I look forward to meeting you. I did the Ultimate European back in 08 had a blast and met some real awsome people some of which I still keep in regular contact with. This is the 1st part of a 2 year working holiday for me. Are you going to finish in Berlin or do you leave from Russia? we are starting in Prauge. Cant come quick enough for me. Whats the go with scandi and cash can you use the Euro? What is the accomodation like through out the place is there anything you did that you reckon was good and a must?
    Craig

• 17 Nov 2011 Fish said

Default_avatar

Hi Heady yeah im on that tour myself, Talk about not coming quick enough at work at moment all I can think about is the tour. Do you race drag cars I saw someone with same name as you on you tube ?

• 17 Nov 2011 Heady said

Default_avatar

Hey Fish I look forward to catching up with you over there. Yeah I wish I could travel all the time. Have you done a tour before? Yeah I do race and yeah I do have a vid there. Don’t show to many people haha. What do you do for hobbies?

• 18 Nov 2011 Fish said

Default_avatar

Hi Heady, Yeah good to catch up over a few frothies, Havent done a tour before be good to meet new people around same age, That s pretty amazing I was looking up drag racing just the other day and saw that! Your car dosnt seem to be veryfast is there something wrong with it? Dont know about the colours either.
    Yeah I get into jet ski’n fair bit wake boarding and love to base jump. Ever done it?

• 18 Nov 2011 Sus said

Sus

Hey,

I fly out of Warsaw at the end. Didn’t realise that we would be in Warsaw when Euro 2012 was on. It will be pretty busy especially as Poland are playing on the 12th June.

Money – You can use the Euro in Finland. The other countries all have their own currency with different exchange rates. It can be a little complicated but it’s quite fun having a new currency with a new country.

Accommodation – was what I was expecting, mostly hostels. Some of the places are a little out of town. Gothenburg was quite far out. Oslo is close to a tram. Stockholm was pretty far out but close to the airport. Our tour manager organised a bus so we could go out in Stockholm which was awesome but I think there is a tram close by.

I did all the optionals. The bobsled is a must. Only two people who came off it didn’t want to go again straight away but I would suggest not drinking too much the night before. The hungover people didn’t enjoy it so much! And try not to sleep too much on the bus. The scenery is amazing. I got some great photos just from the looking out the bus window.

• 19 Nov 2011 abbey7121 said

abbey7121

Hi everyone,
    I’m planning on doing this tour as well. Pretty sure these will be my dates but am waiting to hear back on a summer job in Europe which would start after so i can know for sure. This will be my 4th contiki. I’m 26, from New Zealand.

• 21 Nov 2011 Heady said

Default_avatar

Fish maybe you could show us all how is done when we are over there:)
    Suz yeah I did hear that the soccer was on. Im sure the place wikll be packed. I know the tour ends in Warsaw but we are getting that bus back to Berlin, staying the night and then im heading to Canada to work as little as possable. I was thinking of just taking Euros and a credit card so it will be ok as long as I can buy a beer ill be happy haha. Im told that we dont need a sleeping bag is that rite? Im guessing it will still be cold over there then hey? Yeah pumped for the bobsled. Speaking of alcohole is it cheap at the contiki bars like central Euro tours?
    Hey Abbey, welcome:) What job are you waiting on in Europe. How long you staying there for? 4th Contiki? WOW impressive what others have you done? I did the Ultimate Eropean back in 08. Had so much fun met some real awesome people some of which I still speak to and am close with. May just cant come quick enough for me.

• 21 Nov 2011 abbey7121 said

abbey7121

Hopefully i can find a job teaching english at a summer camp in Switzerland. I lived there for a year in 2008 and loved the place. I have a teaching degree and a TESOL qualifcation so i have my fingers crossed but they’re very particular about work visa’s there which could be the biggest hurdle. If i do manage to score a job i would do this Contiki first, stay in Switzerland to work from June-early August, then hopefully meet up with some friends to do a bit of travelling till early September. I’ve done Contiki Grand Southern USA in 2007, as well as their New York Explorer Tour and Contiki Egypt in 2009, I’ve also done a tour of Turkey but this was before contiki started going there. I plan to finish in Warsaw and then travel on to Krakow for a couple of nights before heading back into Switzerland.

• 21 Nov 2011 Sus said

Sus

Didn’t need a sleeping bag in Scandinavia. Weather could be a little hit and miss (on average 14-19°C) but could be much warmer.
    This tour is a little different to the central European tours. You don’t meet any other tours and there are no contiki bars. If you want cheap alcohol then you need to find a supermarket but it’s still not that cheap. Just don’t convert it to your home currency and you’ll be fine!

Where are you heading to in Canada?

• 21 Nov 2011 Heady said

Default_avatar

Abbey Switzerland is nice I love that place want to travel around there a bit more one day. I take it you teached there back in 08? Have you booked this tour yet?
    The weather over there is a bit up and down hey. Oh well im sure it will be fun regardless. We stay at local hotels hey?
    Im heading to Vancovour and hopefully buying a RV and doing some road trips then money pending making it to the winter and work on the mountain. I hope I dont have to do much work but haha. I might also drop back into the USA and travel along the top there too. Will see really just going to wing it.

• 21 Nov 2011 abbey7121 said

abbey7121

Canada sounds great, i’m considering that as an option for later next year to live as well. More on the Toronto side though. I nannied in Switzerland , in Zurich which i love. I haven’t booked this tour yet until i hear back from the job applications but if i don’t hear anything by the new year or maybe even sooner i’ll just book it anyway i think. There look to be quite a few looong bus days on this trip but i imagine it won’t be any longer than some of the days on the US trip. I will probably try to arrive in Berlin a few days before the tour starts so i can see a bit of the city since on the way back i’m going to stop in Warsaw and train to Krakow.

• 22 Nov 2011 Heady said

Default_avatar

Yeah I cant wait. Im off there for xmas/new years too but only going for 2 weeks. Come back finish work pack up the house and go. Not having a plan I think is what im looking forward the most. Id like to head over to Toronto as well as up north to the polar bears. We are going to arrive in Berlin on the 16th I think and your welcome to cruise around with us. Dont have a plan there as yet just arriving by train on that day. Are you travelling on your own?

• 22 Nov 2011 abbey7121 said

abbey7121

Yes, travelling on my own. I’ll let you know when i have everything booked when i arrive :)

• 22 Nov 2011 abbey7121 said

abbey7121

Just been talking to my travel agent about putting a deposit down on this tour. Not sure if those of you going knew this already but for a New zealander at least it’s $217 for the Russian Visa and $378 for the Belarus visa. We’re only in Belarus for one night! That’s pretty expensive, not that we can do anything about it! Will look cool in the passport at least.

• 22 Nov 2011 Heady said

Default_avatar

From memory our visas came to $130USD payable when we arrive and I cant remember how much the other was but I dont think it was that much. I could be wrong though. Yeah $378 is a lot for one night. Would want to be a good hotel lol

• 6 Dec 2011 Kiwi Explorer said

Kiwi Explorer

Hi Guys, I’m pretty certain I will be joining this tour will know in the next couple of days :)

• 14 Dec 2011 LynnF said

Default_avatar

Hi All! I just spoke with my travel agent and am officially booked with this trip! I will be joining June 1st in Stockholm as well. SO excited to go on another Contiki!

• 15 Dec 2011 Fish said

Default_avatar

Could be on the cards Heady, im looking forward to the bobsledding should be different! Do you guys know any other language’s ? Ive been trying to learn a bit of russian its pretty hard though. Pretty much stick to aussie I think. Counting down the months cant wait!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion