Community_discussions_small  

Comment

IMPERIAL HOTEL LONDON- AWFUL

16 Sep 2008 Explorer1105151 said

Default_avatar
I recently got back from my london/paris trip which was wonderful. However, the imperial hotel in london was AWFUL. My sister, who just finished her LAST day there yesterday, had her room robbed of $500 worth of stuff by hotel staff. Everything she bought in London was stolen, and unfortunately, since it was her last day, she wouldn't be able to get anything. The hotel was not helpful at all, neither were the contiki staff. This is not the first time this has happened in this hotel with contiki travellers. My sister had her things tucked away in her CLOSED suitcase. If contiki hears complaints like this often ...why would they pick such a poor place for it's travelers. For the price we pay, we should have a safer hotel, and MORE touring.
  • 15 Nov 2008 hef said

hef

really! im not goin 2 stay there then wen i get bk off that contiki i wil stay sumwhere else in london

• 5 Dec 2008 Suzy5 said

Default_avatar

Thanks for this feedback, im booking the London & Paris tour for next July 09. I will keep this in mind to lock my suitcase before leaving the room..

• 6 Dec 2008 calabreseboy said

Default_avatar

This is what you get with cheap accomodation. It’s the same everywhere. Also, it’s not Contiki’s responsibility. They don’t own the hotel.

My experience at Royal National was bad, with incorrect bookings, no free breakfast which we asked for, and no power in our room. We got move 3 times. But yeah, it sucks to have stuff stolen. It’s why you have to be careful, especially in Europe. Use the safe in the room. That’s what they’re there for.

• 13 Mar 2009 Megsy said

Megsy

does anyone have any more recent experiences with the imperial hotel?? i will be staying there in august and want to know if anything has changed

• 14 Jun 2009 Hugo1973 said

Default_avatar

I hope it isn’t too bad… I will stay in the Imperial one night before and one night after my tour. (I will do the 8day Great Britain tour).
    I will arrive at Imperial Hotel on July 29th. Off course I will give you my opinion after my stay :-)

• 15 Jun 2009 cdm115 said

cdm115

when I stayed there in 2005 I had no problems. Certainly not the best hotel I’ve stayed in but not the worst either. As others have said you can have your stuff stolen in any hotel.

It really isn’t contiki’s responsibility since they’re only connection to the hotel is book room at a discounted rate, just as it wouldn’t be your TA’s fault if it happened in a hotel they booked for you. They can put pressure on the hotels, but with the number of rooms contiki uses everyday I’m sure there are a limited number of options for them.

But certainly the lesson her is to be careful what you leave in your hotel room and to make is as secure as you can to minimize the risk of this happening.

• 25 Jul 2009 blackbird said

blackbird

i stayed there in September of last year as part of my tour..i had no problems myself, but have heard of similar stories. There is a problem, our tour manager even warned us, that thieves are aware of contiki tours departing from the Royal National and the Imperial, and they know people will have suitcases and documentaion/visas/passports, ect with them, and it’s a easy target. But you have to understand this is London, I dont think it’s specifically an Imperial hotel problem. I imagine contiki books with them because they’re cheap and they’re central. It’s not easy finding reasonable accomodation in a city like London, i guess you have to take what you can get. I would stay there again, but just be very aware and take all precautions you can, don’t leave anything valuable in the room if you aren’t there, and definatley never leave any bags unattended outside.

• 1 Aug 2009 Rachael said

Rachael

I am also going to be staying at the Royal National when I go to London, so yes please, if anyone can let me know what its like please do so!

• 1 Aug 2009 AussieEmma said

AussieEmma

If anyone would like reviews of this hotel and others, you can always check out Trip Advisor, as a large number of reviews of hotels are posted.

• 21 Jan 2010 sassyscameron said

sassyscameron

trip advisor is good i would also reccommend the st paul’s yha . . . only stayed there one night but it was well priced (you get what you pay for). only problems are that there is no elevator and the stairs are pretty killer (especially when you have a 20kg suitcase haha!)
    and its right next to saint paul’s (since it was the old monastry) and the bells ring every hour – if you can deal with that its a really good alternative. its also a stone’s through away from the underground station. i got lost trying to find it as there was scaffoling all aorund it when i went. haha.

• 22 Jan 2010 dmcgowan said

Default_avatar

Crap. I’m staying at this hotel for two nights before my Contiki tour starts.

I’ll be sure to tell everyone what I think after my stay.

• 23 Jan 2010 AstroPhys said

Default_avatar

I would suggest a nice lock with a 4 or 5 digit combination or key for your luggage. If you bring a laptop for about $20-30 kensington makes a laptop lock, it’s a thick metal cord you loop through say the leg of a desk in the room that is anchored down. These are just ideas to make it so that someone can not easily take your things, but if someone has the time and know how they could take anything.

I’m not sure if there is any type of trip insurance that would cover any type of theft.

• 8 Feb 2010 Blocky said

Blocky

The travel insurance I have covers all theft except when stuff is stolen from a car and as long as you have taken all precausions to ensure safe, i.e. lock the hotel door, don’t leave it unattended… basically common sense! Cash is covered up to $250 too, definately worth shelling out the cash to cover your stuff in my opinion!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion