Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Good clubs in Brisbane - Fortitude Valley

17 Nov 2011 Explorer1251811 said

Default_avatar

I live in Brisbane and if you want to go clubbing in Brisbane there are two places to go. The CBD (the city) or 'Fortitude Valley' (The Valley). I like The Valley the best, so I will tell you some places to go. Most of the clubs here are around Brunswick St / Ann St and in sidestreets. The nightlife doesn't really get going here until 10pm.

If you want to dance go to:
--- Birdee Num Nums (Birdies) - 608 Ann St
You have to pay $5 to get in and it is a popular place for backpackers.
--- The Met - 256 Wickham Street
I think they have a cover of $10 or $15 after 9 or 10pm.

If you want a nice cocktail go to:
--- La Ruche - 680 Ann St
It's free to get in, they make great cocktails for about $16 - $20

If you want to sit down in a comfy chair go to:
--- Kerbside - Constance St (Ann St end)
It's free to get in and it has a door that goes straight to Fringe Bar (next door)

Also try x&y (dance and sit down at the back), The Press Club (sit down or dance) or The Bowery (cocktails and sit down place).

If you want to see live music go to Ric's Bar. They always have bands on, local and interstate.

And if you get to that time of the night where you are hungry don't be tempted by dirty pizza! Go to
The Brunswick Social. They have dumplings until 3am (they are the only place that does this!)

Lockout is at 3am, so you can't get into any other places after this time. You have to stay in the club that you are in.

I hope this helps!

• 30 Jan 2012 Vin said

Vin

agreed! great list hey!

only thing i might add is another area that’s popular; ‘West End’…
    Quite popular with backpackers as most pubs/clubs are free, and probably leans more to the pop-art culture…

its not that far to travel between the Valley and CBD (probably $10 – $15 cab), and probably another $10 from the CBD to West End :)

• 26 Apr 2012 Zac said

Zac

Haven’t been to The Bowery for years but I used to love it. They have excellent cocktails and usually some form of Jazz music. It can get busy though and it’s fairly small.

Press Club is good for a sit down or chat and Cloud Land seems to be pretty busy these days for a more dancey scene.

• 8 Mar 2013 elizabethirwin said

elizabethirwin

There are great places to go in Brisbane you just have to look harder than your usual Fortitude Valley nightlife to get the real local hubs. In the VALLEY the best places are -

VALLEY
    KERBSIDE: it’s a really relaxed bar with couches, graffiti and funky furniture.

BOWERY: For great cocktails and a ambient atmosphere.

THE BEAT: it’s Brisbane’s biggest gay and lesbian nightclub with a hell of a lot of levels to explore and fun DJs.

THE BRUNSWICK HOTEL: if you get adventurous and head further down Brunswick St the Brunswick Hotel otherwise known by locals as the ‘Brunno’ is excellent. They have karaoke most nights and cheap drinks, the crowds of people who go there are very mixed and it’s a bit of a spectacle for someone who wants to see the grittier side of Brisbane nightlife.

THE SPRING HILL HOTEL: Another hotel that’s a little bit ‘bogan’ and gritty. It’s really fun though and has a lovely beer garden for punters out the back, nice for an afternoon drink. However, on weekends they open up ‘The Primitive Room’ on the side of it and most Saturday nights a bunch of underground local and Australian bands play there for super cheap, it’s got a really diverse crowd of people and is worth your dimes if you want to see local music come to life.

YARD BIRD ALE HOUSE: further along on Brunswick the Yardbird bar is very synonymous with ‘greaser’ and ‘rockabilly’ tattoo culture, they have art exhibitions and cheap drinks a lot of the nights and serve delicious American style bar food.

RICS BAR: by day Rics serves a delcious $4 breakfast and by night it transforms into a hub for local alternate music and some of the friendliest staff and DJs you will see in this locale. It’s central to everything in the Brunswick mall and next to 80s dance club Kalibar for the brave hearted.

ALFRED AND CONSTANCE: A really beautiful trendy bar in the Valley featuring White Lightning Tiki Bar, The Vanguard Beer Garden and Restaurant, Alfred Cafe, Late Night Dessert. It’s a lot of fun and quite fancy! Plus the deserts and wine list are amazing!

CLOUDLAND: If you want something a bit more high scale and classier Cloudland serves great cocktails and has many levels designed with different themes, it’s a bit ritzier so dress well and expect to splash cash. It’s not my favourite place but it’s worth a look.

SOUTH SIDE/WEST END/ THE GABBA:

THE PINEAPPLE BAR: In Kangaroo Point there’s the pineapple bar it’s your quintessential Australian hotel with tropical themes throughout. It’s also great because it’s the ‘home’ bar for Brisbane’s local AFL football team and has memorabilia throughout. Also has a famous steak house.

THE GERMAN CLUB: Near the AFL ‘Gabba’ in Wooloongabba there’s a German Club that always has friendly staff and punters, fun traditional bands and great food and drinks for super cheap.

ARCHIVE: In west End there’s Archive – its a boutique beer bar that sells cheap food and a range of locally imported beers, try a wide range of beers and their famous pies. On Tuesday nights they have trivia which is great for tourists wanting to meet a large group of people.

TOOWONG:

THE REGATTA: It’s one of Brisbane’s oldest pubs right on the river which means whenever it floods it cops damage, off the cusp of the most recent flood it’s been revamped and looks great. It’s architecture is the single most typical Brisbane pub layout and the toilets are fun because they look outside from the inside and you feel as though everyone’s looking at you. FUN.

THE ROYAL EXCHANGE: Wednesday nights at the Royal Exchange mean live bands and $3 drinks. They do great drink and meal deals and have a wide variety of students, travellers, tradies and the like.

There’s a few places I like going. From a local perspective.

• 1 Apr 2013 Lisa said

Lisa

If you’re in Brisbane on a Tuesday night the Down under bar is decent for a backpackers bar

Wednesday nights the best place to go (that I know of) is probably the Royal Exchange, its normally all students and backpackers but it has cheap basics and is usually only quiet over Christmas.

Thursday nights is the Victory Hotel in the city (on Edward Street I think), cheap basics again and its always busy (its also really hard to get kicked out of there :) ).

Also, for all you smokers there is usually only a tiny area where you can smoke in the pubs/ clubs because of the smoking restrictions.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion