Community_discussions_small  

Question

What to do on buses?

16 Aug 2009 Kevin asked

Kevin
I'm looking at booking a 12 day Amsterdam to Barcelona trip and I'm wondering what people do to pass the time (besides sleep and stare out the window)?

Is there anything I should bring specifically for the bus rides?
  • 16 Aug 2009 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by PhotoExplorer:
    I’m looking at booking a 12 day Amsterdam to Barcelona trip and I’m wondering what people do to pass the time (besides sleep and stare out the window)?

That’s exactly what I do, as I get motion sickness if I try to read anything or use devices with glossy screens in moving vehicles.

If you are not like me, then consider getting a cheap console like a Nintendo DS and using that. Or if you have a computer, try spending the time to put titles and labels on all your photos. As a last alternative, go old-fashioned and read a book. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

If you want to sleep, earplugs or headphones with active noise cancellation are recommended.

• 16 Aug 2009 ArrylT said

ArrylT

Well apart from the usual (ie MP3 Player/PSP/etc) …

Bring a deck of cards or better yet, a travel game – especially if it is one that you think people in other countries might not know.

• 16 Aug 2009 Mel said

Mel

im the type of person that wont sleep on a bus and so on my tour i brought cards (normal playing cards aswell as uno) and a book and some puzzle books etc.. yet i ended up sleeping most of the time anyways.. u just get soooo tired! plus i occasionally tried to bring out the cards but no-one ever really wants to play so i advise u take a book or something rather than games. u can always play games like what we played… such as naming an actor and trying to list as many movies as you can that they have been in.. or as many countries as u can that start with a certain letter. these can be great fun and dont involve u bringing anything for them! a pad of paper and a pen is great too for things like tic tac toe and hangman!

• 17 Aug 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

My iPod was the most important thing I took with me on the bus. I also took a journal to keep a log of what we did each day – this also helped take time up on the bus. A lot of people slept, but I enjoyed checking out the different cities and countryside that we drove by too.

• 18 Aug 2009 Kevin said

Kevin

Okay, I’ve added to my list – Ipod, Book, cards, and some old fashion pen & pencil for games.

• 19 Aug 2009 Explorer1123323 said

Default_avatar

I never and I repeat never sleep in a car when driving on holiday as I really struggle to fall asleep up right but when on contiki as soon as i got onto the bus, i would fall fast asleep until we had a stop. I can’t begin to describe what an exhausting trip contiki is, you spend all day running around cities and all nite partying lots so when you get an opportunity to sleep you do.

Something to remember…bring a travel pillow Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.