Community_discussions_small  

Question

How Much spending $ for Scandinavia & Russia

18 Nov 2011 Explorer1307236 asked

Default_avatar

Hi Guys,

I'm really interested in doing the Scandinavia & Russia Tour next year and wanted to know how much spending Money i will need. I'm don't drink that much but just wanted to know how much to take for food, spending and optionals! Also any tips on this tour would be helpful eg weather in August!

• 18 Nov 2011 Sus said

Sus

Hi,

I went on the Scandinavian part (Copenhagen to Helsinki) in September this year. I took about £100 (GBP) per day so about £1500. I did all the optionals (which were all awesome), had a few drinks most nights, had a couple of big nights out, had a really expensive (but amazing) meal in Oslo BUT didn’t really do much shopping AND came back with £300-400.

I’m not going to lie – Scandinavia is expensive but once you are there you just have to accept it is expensive and not convert to your home currency because that just hurts!

Hope that helps a little :)

• 19 Nov 2011 Explorer1307236 said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the advise! I was planning around $2500 AUD for this tour including the optionals. I was planning to go in August thiss year. Do you know what the weather was like?

• 24 Nov 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Oh handy info thank you Sus!!! I’m planning on going in August next year too, what dates are you looking at Explorer1307236?? I think I’m gonna go on the 12th, just waiting for the Europe sales that happen at the start of the year to book!!! :D

• 24 Nov 2011 Sus said

Sus

Average temperatures in August are about 20°C but can be much warmer.
    I went at the beginning of September and it was probably around 16-18°C which was warm enough but it did rain nearly every day. In fact it normally started raining as soon as we got off the bus! Just take a raincoat.

• 4 Dec 2011 KristyChippa said

KristyChippa

I did this tour in July this year and I spent between $2500 and $3000 cant remember exact figure. I too did all the optional and spent quite a bit of money on shopping, though I didn’t do a huge amount of drinking which is expensive in Scandi.

As for weather you really need to pack a bit of everything in july in scandi we had low 20’s, when you fly up to nordcapp it is much colder 12c. When we hit russia we had days that were 35 plus with the only aircon on the bus.

Have a great time on your trip

• 4 Dec 2011 Explorer1307236 said

Default_avatar

Hi Jen, I was looking at the 12th August as well for this tour. it’s not a definite date yet as i’m waiting to see if i can get the time off work first. I’m also going to do the Greek Island Hopping on 12th Sept – 23rd Sept.
    I will be doing this tour solo..

• 5 Dec 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Oh thanks for that KristyChippa!! Packing will be a tricky thing on this trip with the variations!!

Hope you get it off work Explorer1307236!! :D Have you done any other contikis before?!?! Time off can be hard for these longer trips!! I think I’m gonna have to go a week or 2 unpaid to squeeze it in!! Greek Island Hopping would be a great way to unfreeze after crossing the arctic circle!!! :D I think I’m just gonna chill out in Berlin for a few days afterwards and then head home!!

• 5 Dec 2011 Explorer1307236 said

Default_avatar

Yes the packing is going to be a nightmare for this trip! But living in QLD i’m used to the 35 degree and humid conditions! Jen i did a European tour in September this year and had the time of my life. I’ve always wanted to visit scandinavia mainly for the scenery! I should find out in January if i get the time off work :) Not sure yet if i want to do the a Greek Island’s or spend a week in Iceland.. It’s so hard to decide! Have you done any other tours with Contiki before? I travelled with my sister last time though so it will be my first time overseas by myself!

• 6 Dec 2011 relentlessrob said

Default_avatar

Hey all!

A mate and I are looking at doing the August 12 tour as well, we will be in London for the Olympics before we head across for this tour. I’m planning on $100 per day plus the optionals, though I don’t think I will spend that much, as I don’t really shop. Drinking is the real cash drain, it is how I blew my budget when I did the winter wanderer a few years back.

Iceland is amazing by the way and well worth a visit in my opinion!

• 6 Dec 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au
    Oh Iceland would be amazing!! Did you go to Greece in your contiki this year?? Yep I did the UK & Ireland and the Winter Wanderer contikis last year and did a 2 week NZ one about 5 years back now. A little bit addicted to contiki tours lol but they are always so much fun and I’ve always wanted to go to Russia and Scandinavia so I thought I’d go Contiki again!!!! :D When I went last year I did it on my own and it was great because most of the people on the Contikis were solo travelers too.

Hey Rob!! Oh I totally forgot about the Olympics!! That’d be great to go see over there!! Are you gonna go see any events or just soak up the atmosphere?? hehe I blew ALOT of my money when i did the winter wanderer….I guess when it gets cold you just need that vodka blanket a little bit thicker lol!! :P

• 6 Dec 2011 Explorer1307236 said

Default_avatar

No I didn’t go to Greece last year unfortunately! Our tour was the European Experience. I wish i could win the lotto and i can travel forever lol! It seems you have caught the travel bug Jen!

• 7 Dec 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Oh that makes it harder if you haven’t been to both places!!!! :S Good luck deciding!!! :D hehehe have totally caught the bug!!! If I won lotto I’d be traveling 11 months of the year I reckon!!!! Ah well we can always dream I guess……

• 26 Dec 2011 Carlos Marrufo said

Carlos Marrufo

Hi all, Im considering the Scandinavia & Russia tour in May/June, just depends if my job wants to give me a whole month off…really crossing my fingers. anyone else considering those dates? Hows the weather on those months? still cool or does it get warm by then? I did the Australian Explorer 2 years ago and it was the time of my life…went solo and would def go solo on this one, youre a lot more open to everyone that way. good luck everyone!

• 30 Jan 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Oh am planning on booking this tour this week!! Yay am getting so excited!!! :D Found a topic in here with a group of people just doing the Scandinavia starting 12th August part here: http://contiki.com.au/community/discussions/38707-scandinavia-12-aug-12 Are you guys still planning on doing this one Rob and Explorer 1307236?!?!?

• 28 Feb 2012 BecS said

BecS

Thanks ppl for the spending money tips… $3000 it looks like – although I’m not a big drinker, so hopefully I’ll save an itty-bit there. I’ve only got until April 1st to pay off my tour – but looks like I’ll be saving my ass off til the departure date! Can’t wait!!

Is anyone else on the June 17th departure date??

• 8 Apr 2012 Lauren said

Lauren

This has helped me. Wasn’t sure what to pack and the money thanks heaps :) I’m going June 10-July 5 :)

• 8 Apr 2012 cdm115 said

cdm115

I did this tour back in 2006, it had a different itinerary in Scandi back then, I think I only spend $1800 on the tour – optionals, meals, souvenirs. Everyone found that Scandinavia was very expensive, but everyone ended up under budget too – I think the prices really kept people from buying stuff there unless they needed it or loved it. They left the big spending for Russia, which was much cheaper. We also did a lot of picnic lunches on the bus days since up North there really wasn’t much in the way of rest stops, so this may be different since you stay to the South now.

As for weather, I went in late May and ended at the end of June. It was fairly cold in Scandi, it rained a lot and it was always windy (the cities are all very coastal), but by the time we hit Berlin there was a heatwave. You’ll need to bring a little bit of everything, especially if you’re used to warmer weather.

• 5 Feb 2013 Dawzy09 said

Dawzy09

Hey everyone I have booked the Scandi and Russia Plus tour and am in the proccess of getting my russian visa. I was hoping anyone could help me out, I am Australian and just freaked out a little cause i have 2 weeks left and just had a look and aparently I still need a visa for Belarus. Can anyone tell me if this is correct, that i need to do it before hand or is it a border visa??? Please help =S

• 6 Feb 2013 Nicole said

Nicole

Hey, you can relax. Our contiki guide organised all our Belarusian visas during the trip, picking them up in St Petersburg . You will need a passport sized photo, and I believe for an Australian it was $92USD cash, which most of us got from an exchange office in Helsinki. You need the Russian visa before entering Russia, but you can get the Belarusian one during the tour.

• 12 May 2014 Adam Lowe said

Adam Lowe

Hi, I’m going on the Scandinavia and Russia Plus tour in a couple of months and just wanted to get advise from you seasoned tourists about what form of travel money you all took? I’m just confused as in the past I’ve only ever needed a couple of different currencies, so I think I just got an anz Euro and an anz British pound travel card. But with this tour I’ve noticed there’s a good 5 or 6 different currencies. I’d love to know what you all did or wish you did in this regard? Cheers!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.