Community_discussions_small  

Question

GOOD SMALL DIGITAL CAMERA??!! please help!

17 May 2007 Bree 24aus asked

Default_avatar
hi

i know there are other posts on here, but thought id put this up anyway.

at the moment i have a small, olympus digital camera. 6 mega pixels. 3x optical zoom.
(i think the model is the ('mu'-type symbol, 600)

it's an ok camera
though ALL night photos come up wit red eye! even with the 'red eye reduction' on.
Sooo annoying!

I took it back to the shop, and the guy said that all cameras can do that, even the really good ones.
his suggestion was a Rioch (i think) camera - details not sure. it was about $585

Any suggestions for small digital???

Advise greatley appreciated!
Bree x
  • 17 May 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

Firstly, it’s next to impossible to get 100% redeye-free results from an ultra-compact. You should be looking into postprocessing software to remove the redeye effectively. If you have a mac, the anti-redeye feature in iPhoto is very effective.

Check the “Best Ultra-Compact” section on the Best Cameras List at Steve’s Digicams. Note that the model numbers given are the US/Canada ones. Often the cameras have different names overseas, especially Canon’s models. The Nikon Coolpix S9 or Sony DSC-T10 might be up your alley.

• 18 May 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

Not sure if it helps, but I’ve been looking at the Fuji S5700. It’s 10x zoom, 7.1 megapixels. You can get it for about $350 at Myer at the moment. Just gotta see what my dad says about it because I don’t know jack about cameras!

• 18 May 2007 LisaDW said

Default_avatar

Hi there I have a Fuji S5000, which is an earlier model to the S5700. I love it. It is definately not an ultra compact camera, as it’s quite bulky, but it takes great photos, and has a lot of different settings if you like to experiment with your photography. But you can just put it on auto too, and click and shoot. Fuji makes a great camera, i definately give it the thumbs up! If you definately want ultra compact, I bought my b/f a Pentax Optio S5? I think it was, it’s 5mp, 3x zoom, takes great pics, he’s been very happy with it, and he’s quite fussy, so I recommend Pentax!!

• 18 May 2007 MJ said

Default_avatar

I love the cannon digital elf its got 7.1 mega pixs and a 12 x digital zoom. My sister has the newer one from last year don’t remember the model but mine is the Canon Power Shot SD500. www.pbase.com/dragonflylady has photo’s I’ve taken with this they are in the flower and views galleries. I also have a nikon coolpix 775. Also if the camera has any ccd’s the higher the ccd the better the quality. My video camera has 3 ccds and takes incredible photos.

• 18 May 2007 MJ said

Default_avatar

ps you want more optical zoom than digital zoom better quality of photos less grainy.

• 19 May 2007 Miss Jane said

Miss Jane

Hey Bree
    I know what you mean about needing a great camera…I have a great one at the moment but I’m looking to upgrade. I love the one I have right now so much I’m just going to get a newer version.

It’s a Casio Exilim. It takes a great picture has heaps of different functions for different setting i.e. low light, candlelight, sunset etc and it has red eye feature which works….One thing I really love about it is that you can take pictures in really low light situations without having to use the flash so you can be very discreet.
    I know there are heaps of great cameras out there so it can be a hard choice…but this is what worked for me
    Hope this helps
    Jane Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 19 May 2007 Cat_in_Canada said

Default_avatar

LOL, I also have a Casio Exilim, and I really like it. Once, I accidentally dropped it from a height of about 4 1/2 feet, onto concrete covered with thin carpet, and it still works just fine, no problems at all. Its a compact camera (not ultra-compact, but thats okay) and its built like a trooper. Metal body, not plastic, and as Miss Janeo mentioned, lots of cool features.

The trick to reducing red-eye doesn’t lie in the camera, but in the subjects. If you have people look at an angle away from the camera, rather than right at the flash, then you won’t get red-eye. (Its caused by the light from the flash reflecting off of the retina in the eye, blah, blah blah…)

But, I really like my Casio camera. They’re not hugely available in North America, they’re a lot more popular in Asia. FutureShop sells them though.

• 19 May 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

Hi all,

I just bought an Olympus Mju 770 SW. Sadly only 3x Optical, but 7.1 MP. The cool part about this camera is that its Waterproof, Shockproof, and Snowproof.

It also has edit functions on the camera, where you can edit a photo the way you would on your computer. So in addition to having a red eye flash etc. you can adjust the red eye in photos AFTER you have taken them. As well as adding borders, words, B&W etc.

I bought it because I liked the ‘tough’ factor and am travelling in winter. So having a camera that can get wet and will work with no delay or loss of battery life to –10 degrees Celcius is ideal.

I also broke my last camera by tripping over while holding it…won’t happen with this one Big Grin<!-graemlin::D—>

ps. another cool feature is that it can tell you the altitude/depth you took the photo at (since it has a pressure guage) which is going to be good for underwater/high in the mountain shots.

And price? I payed $536 AUD. Here’s a link

• 19 May 2007 Bree 24aus said

Default_avatar

hey thanks for all the info!

here’s some info i was given by the man in the camera shop— what do you guys think?

he said that sony was the best because it uses a carl zeiss (or something like that) lens

that they’re even better than cannon or any others. all because of the lens

??

• 20 May 2007 space_monkey said

Default_avatar

i have a new sony and i really like it. as for the lense not sure if its a better lense than a cannon. in my short experience with cameras they both seem to take good pics. so unless you are really into camera’s just go with which one you like better and fits your price range better.

• 20 May 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

when i last looked at cameras (i’ve looked at reviews 3 times in the last year) canons seem to always be on top, sonys too.

i was also reading an article about things to look for – megapixels are overhyped, 2 mp will give good quality 4×6′s, 4 mp will give 8×10′s, or something along those lines. Anything over 4 mp is money for nothing unless you want to make posters, though 4 or 5 is really the lowest you’ll see these days. I just wouldn’t get sucked in for 6 over 5 or 7 over 6 mp instead of other aspects of the camera. the article went into lenses being very important, so if that’s true about sony having carl zeiss lenses, that is definitly something to look at.

other things to look at is zoom. i went from 3x to 12x (optical) and i love the high power zoom, my camera is not a compact one though.

the last thing to look at is the batteries. most of the supercompacts have special batteries. you need a special charger for them and a second battery is usually expensive. if you get a slightly larger compacts they often take AA batteries, you can get rechargables or just buy them at any shop.

• 20 May 2007 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

I have a Canon. My dad has a Sony.

I used his Sony at a sporting event last month and some of the pictures came out blurry, and some were pretty decent. It was hit and miss though and I wasn’t really satisfied with my pics.

My Canon is 3 years old (his Sony is 6 months old) and I LOVE my Canon. It takes beautiful shots everytime, and produces rich, bright photos. I did a lot of research before I bought my camera and I will always buy a Canon.

On another note, my sister entered a photo journalism course. Of the two cameras they were allowed to buy, one was a Canon. It honestly doesn’t get any better than Canon and I highly recommend getting one – and now they make some pretty slim models so you can get that benefit as well.

As far as the Carl Zeiss lens, those have been on Sony’s forever. I have a Sony videocamera and it’s okay, but honestly I think it’s just a name and not really all that much better than anything else. Truly, you should get a Canon. You won’t be disappointed!

• 20 May 2007 MJ said

Default_avatar

Carl Zeiss was the name of the person who invented the lenses that Sony uses its just a type of lens. Him saying that probably means that he dosen’t know alot about digital cameras. For digital cameras you need to worry about the mega pix the optical vs digital zoom lens. And then what ever features you want. Lenses really only matter if its a manual or an digital SLR. At least in my opinion. You can go to places like www.pricegabber.com and compare prices and items as well as reviews. Also www.consumerreports.com

• 23 May 2007 Bree 24aus said

Default_avatar

thanks guys the info is great!

hey Leanne, what tyoe of camera is your canon? model, price etc.?

one thing the guy said was that you can buy a good camera, with ++ mega pixels etc., but it could have a crappy plastic lense.
    he said you want about 5 megapixels (but more is not important – the same as cdm said – unless your making posters or something).
    but that then it’s the lense that gives a good quality picture.
    though i can’t imagine that canon would have a crappy lense.

• 23 May 2007 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bree 24aus:
    thanks guys the info is great!

hey Leanne, what tyoe of camera is your canon? model, price etc.?

one thing the guy said was that you can buy a good camera, with ++ mega pixels etc., but it could have a crappy plastic lense.
    he said you want about 5 megapixels (but more is not important – the same as cdm said – unless your making posters or something).
    but that then it’s the lense that gives a good quality picture.
    though i can’t imagine that canon would have a crappy lense.

Hey Bree

My camera is a Canon PowerShot A95, although if I were to buy a new one (because mine is a couple years old) I have my eye on the PowerShot A630. Only because it has the pivot display screen at the back (not a lot of camera’s have this) and that is an invaluable feature for getting pics at the right angle without cranking your neck at all to get neat angle shots. It’s really an awesome feature that I love about my current camera.

PowerShot A630

You can also look at the PowerShot SD series which are much thinner cameras, but the A series is my preference only because it feels like a more substanial camera for the money. I think it’s currently selling around $250-$300 Canadian dollars. And it’s 8 megapixel. Anything over 5 is great…you’ll want to have at least 5 for 8×10 enlargements (if you ever need them).

Here’s the link to the overall Canon camera line:
    Canon Cameras

• 24 May 2007 Bree 24aus said

Default_avatar

thanks!!!

i’m gonna go have a look i think.

really appreciate it
    have a good trip!!

• 24 May 2007 Steftacular said

Steftacular

SO i didnt read everyones response, but my dad just recently bought me a olympus sylus 725 SW – anyways its shock proof and water proof! i always break my cameras cause i drop them or something of the sort, and this one you can drop and it can go underwater up to 16ft with out any additional equipment, how cool is that?!? AND it has like 20 settings and 4 for night or low light settings that work amazingly! Ive been a loyal Cannon user for years, but this one definately turned me around – OH and it comes with color accents (mines red) so its cute and slim and super Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> My dad got it at Costco for a really great price (under 200 i think) and it came with a silicone casing (to avoid scratches) a floatie (so you can find it in water if you drop it) and a memory card…. and its a 7.1 megapixel so its perty darn good… anyways… thats my suggestion ;D

• 28 May 2007 Bree 24aus said

Default_avatar

hey again,

i looked at the canon powershot ones (though i thought it was an A17 or something?). Was a little too bulky for me.

Hey do you, or does anyone know anything about the canon ixus 70 ???

• 28 May 2007 Bec101 said

Default_avatar

Hey
    I am on a round the world trip, the best things in the camera have to be the zoom really these days. I have a Kodak V610, has 10 optical zoom (was great for Africa) heaps of special features programed in.
    The olympus sylus 725 would have been great too, you can take it out drinking and not worry about dropping itSmiler<!--graemlin::)--> Yes I did that and $200US later, was not happy

• 28 May 2007 Keira said

Default_avatar

I have a Sony, my brother has a Panasonic and out of those 2 the Sony is better. I only bought mine a year ago and was going between the Sony its a w or dsc-50 or something n the new model is w or dsc-70, i cant remember exactly, and a Canon IXUS one, possibly even the IXUS 70 that you asked about. I was also told about the Carl Zeiss lens and the camera people said that was the best lens on the market and that out of the 2 cameras to get the Sony. The only complaint I have is that the memory cards are memory sticks and are quite expensive, not your standard xd or sd that cost like $45 for 2G now. I was quoted $150 for a 2G memory stick. But yeh aside from that the Sony is great, good pics, lots of options

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.