Community_discussions_small  

Question

Scandinavia - 12 Aug 12

19 Nov 2011 Lauren asked

Lauren

Hey, just curious who else is booked on this tour?

• 1 Feb 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

Jen – Congrats on the booking!! Looks like we’ve got a great group so far :)

Lauren – Disneyland is a lot of fun, but try to avoid going in the summer. It gets far too crowded to be enjoyable. I recommend going on like a Tuesday or a Wednesday in the middle of Febuary. Absolutely no lines, which is far better than waiting in the hot sun for 4 hours just to see Mickey. Trust me, I used to ditch class in High School just to go to Disneyland lol.

Also, just out of curiousity, are you guys going to be bringing your cell phones? I’ve been studying International charges for my current carrier, and it might be cheaper just to buy a Swedish phone while I’m there… What are your thoughts?

• 1 Feb 2012 Pete said

Pete

Hi guys,
    I’m Pete from Sydney. We’re beta testing an online postcard site so you can send your postcards straight to facebook or email. yay, no more stamps. There’s postcards from the places you’re going so please check it out and let me know what you think. www.ThePerfectPostcard.com
    Thanks guys.
    Safe travels!

• 2 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Yep I’m going to bring mine!! Way too expensive to use my regular provider though for international calls so I use a travelsim which is an international carrier. You might wanna double check whether your phone will work though, because I remember reading somewhere that the US is on a different network then the rest of the world so phones dont always work on the opposite network? have you taken it with you when you’ve travelled before? Might make the decision easier lol!! :)

• 2 Feb 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

Interesting, I’ll look into that! Yeah, half of the major carriers here use a proprietary technology that wont work internationally. Luckily I have a quad-band GSM phone, which should work just about anywhere. In any case, I rarely travel with my phone… I find it’s easier to enjoy my trips without it :)

Thanks for the feedback Jen!

• 2 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

no worries!! :) yeah it is nice to get away from the phone every now and again!!! especially if it’s costing heaps!!! :D

• 2 Feb 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

Amen to that ;)

• 3 Feb 2012 Lauren said

Lauren

….

• 3 Feb 2012 Lauren said

Lauren

Hey Jen, Yes but Legoland isn’t in Copenhagen though. I’m staying with a friend in Copenhagen before the tour and we’re going to take the train there :) In the last series of amazing race that aired in aus, they went to Legoland. The rides and stuff look insane!

I booked the plane hostel for 1 night after the tour. It’s a bit pricey for a dorm room but hopefully it’s worth it.

Are you guys staying at the wombats in Berlin? I stayed at the Wombats when I went to Vienna a few years ago. was by far the best hostel on the tour I did then so me and my sister are staying there again as well as the one in Munich.

So excited!! Less than 5 months now til I leave Aus :) :) :)

• 3 Feb 2012 Lauren said

Lauren

Hey Jen, Thanks for the advice about mobiles. I ‘ll look into that. I’m going to be travelling for 3 months but not quite sure what to do about my mobile. I’ll be in UK for like a week so it’s not really worth getting a UK sim. Also everytime I go to NZ for like a week I get charged heeeaaps

Joseph, I’d go to Disneyland in like early December or March so that I can go skiing in California or Utah as well :) That’s a long way off though.

• 3 Feb 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

Oh nice, early December is wonderful, they have all of their Christmas decorations up and it’s not too crowded yet. March is a great month too, usually perfect weather.

California is awesome for skiing and snowboarding. A buddy of mine is ranked sixth in the nation right now for snowboarding. He spends almost all his time on California’s slopes when he’s training.

How long have you been skiing?

• 3 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Oh I didn’t realise Legoland wasn’t in Copenhagen…ah well will have to go to Denmark again some other time!!! :D It will totally be worth the extra money to spend the night in a plane hostel for the unique experience and the awesome story afterwards! :) And if you don’t do it you’ll always wonder…… OMG 5 Months to go for you though, that is so exciting!!!!! Are you spending the whole time beforehand with your friend or are you doing some other travels beforehand?? Have a look here Lauren : http://www.travelsim.net.au/ You can pick these up at Australia Post outlets for $50. I used it when I went to Europe last time (I was doing Contiki so not in a country long enough to make it worthwhile buying a simcard there) and it worked out to be the cheapest option!! Pretty simple to use too, just make sure your phone is unlocked!!!
    I was going to stay at the Berlin Plus hostel purely because that’s where the tour starts so it’ll be easier when on the first day and the last day I wont have to make my way anywhere. Hot tip for anyone that hasn’t booked it yet though, you can get the rooms heaps cheaper by booking directly through their website rather than through Contiki’s stay longer option!!!
    Skiing in California??For some reason I didn’t think it snowed there, I just thought it was always sunny!!! :D I’m gonna blame the tv for that!!!! :D

• 3 Feb 2012 Lauren said

Lauren

I’ve only skiied 2x but I work from a company booking ski holidays to NZ and Northern Hemisphere. Seeing as I talk about skiing all day I’m dying to get over and try some of the powder that everyone raves about. Jen, not alot of aussies seem to know about skiing in California so they’re trying to promote it more over here. Ski resorts in California is near the boarder to Nevada – Heavenly ski resort actually boarders both states so you can pic which state you ski in. Aussies mostly go to Japan and Canada for the nothern hemisphere though. With the Stockholm hostel it kinda balances out. I’m going to Rome afterwards and the accommodation is a fair bit cheaper there.

My sister is flying over with me in Jun and we’re doing busabout/rail for 5 weeks. Then my sister is coming home and I’m heading to Denmark. After our tour and some time in Rome, I’ll be touring the Greek Islands and then Turkey. It’s going to be an awesome trip but I’m still not covering everywhere I want to go hehe so I guess I’ll be back to Europe down the track

Thanks for the link too…I’ll check it out laters :D

• 4 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Oh I’m not really a skier so I guess that’s why I’d never heard of California as a ski destination!! That’s awesome that it borders though, you can be like “today I’ll ski in Nevada, tomorrow in Californina” :D I saw on the news that it just snowed in Rome for the first time since the 80s, maybe you can whip out the skis there lol!!!! :D
    Oh wow that sounds like an awesome holiday!!!! great that you’re doing some of with your sister as well that would be great!! I’ve heard busabout is really good, never done one myself though, are you doing a hop on hop off sort of one, or a set tour? There never is enough time in Europe, I spent two months there myself last time and even after this holiday is done I will still have missed a fair few countries (and i did it through Contiki and topdeck so went through HEAPS of places)!!! More Europe holidays are never a bad thing!!! :D

• 5 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Hey guys, I couldn’t find one already so I made a facebook group for this tour and the other trips that are part of this here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/102999096495645/ in the hope that there may be some other people searching around facebook for tour buddies!!! :D If any of you guys already made one, let me know and I’ll get rid of it lol!!!

• 5 Feb 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

Very cool :) Unfortunately I don’t have a Facebook. I’ll take a look at it later using a friend’s account.

There’s actually some ski resorts pretty close to where I live, just an hour’s drive to Mt. Baldy, or two hours to Big Bear mountain. Definately a lot quicker than 8 hours to those border areas lol

That’s one of the beautiful things about Southern California; you could go skiing, dirt biking, and surfing all in the same day!

• 6 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Hmm I think I’ll need to put California on my to do list somewhere down the track!!!! :D

• 6 Feb 2012 LucyHx said

LucyHx

Jen, are you ending in Stockholm or Helsinki?

• 7 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

I’m actually ending in Berlin, I’m continuing on to do the Russia part of this tour too!!! :D where are you ending? are you going to go straight home afterwards or wander around Scandinavia some more??!?!

• 11 Feb 2012 LucyHx said

LucyHx

Oh cool! I’ll be ending in Helsinki, unfortunately have to go straight back home and back to work!

• 14 Feb 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Ah bugger!!! Though I guess work is kind of important to fund these sorts of things……:D

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion