Community_discussions_small  

Question

Scandinavia - 12 Aug 12

19 Nov 2011 Lauren asked

Lauren

Hey, just curious who else is booked on this tour?

• 26 Apr 2012 LucyHx said

LucyHx

White water rafting, ATV safari and Ice bar :) well hopefully anyway.

• 26 Apr 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

I think I’ll prob try and do most of them, the first time I did contiki I skipped some optionals and really regretted it later! would rather do them and regret doing them, than not doing them and never knowing hehe!! Hmm better get to saving! :) Definitly excited for for an olympic bobsled track though!! and whatever the “Nordkapp experiance” is (I’m guessing the hike to the Northern point?) that would be cool too!!! :)

• 26 Apr 2012 Beth said

Beth

The Nordkapp trip sounds so amazing – I think that’s the thing I’m looking forward to the most. I was also thinking of taking the train into Bergen from Voss. Not sure about Carlsberg Brewery though, I think I might use that time to check out Tivoli instead.

• 26 Apr 2012 James said

Default_avatar

I’m going to try and do all of them. I can’t wait to do the white water rafting, bobsled ride and the ice bar though

• 27 Apr 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

Sounds like everyone has a pretty good idea of what they want to do! I’m up in the air on a couple of them, but like you said, Jen – Better to regret doing them than not doing them!

Right now my top two are the Nordkapp trek and the Ice Bar :D

• 28 Apr 2012 Lauren said

Lauren

Nordkapp, the Carlsberg Brewery and white water rafting. Not sure about the bobsled. will need to see how I go on the day cos I’m a bit of a wuss. I did almost all of the extras on my topdeck tour a few years ago and you’re right Jen. I draw the line and bikeriding and skydiving/bungy related activities though :)

• 28 Apr 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

Lol you’re not alone Lauren, I’m a bit of a chicken too. But hey, you only live once!

So on a sidenote I’ve been looking at the exchange rates. I started doing the math and the side excursions really aren’t that expensive! The US Dollar and the Australian Dollar are pretty close in value, and assuming one goes on every single excursion (totalling about 3000 Norwegian krone), it’d only be about $500 USD/AUD. Not bad at all, considering :)

• 28 Apr 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Geez that’s not too bad at all Joseph!! :) Much cheaper than doing all the Europe optionals on a standard Western Europe contiki!! Might just have to do them all after all!! :D Oh I’m getting so excited!!

Lauren

This is probably a stupid question but where did you get the prices from?

• 28 Apr 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

Seriously! It was a lot more expensive when I ran around Europe a couple years ago! And that wasn’t even with Contiki!

Lauren – I got the Krone prices off the Contiki website. Under the Trips section, select your trip then expand the descriptions (by clicking “More”, I think). You should see the price listed next to the excursion associated with that day. I used this website for the conversions: http://www.xe.com/ucc/

If you have any trouble finding it, let me know. I wrote everything down and will be happy to post it on the forum if you’d like :)

Lauren

Check this out…It’s so cute:

http://www.agensspill.no/visitnorway/holmenkollen/

I was looking up the ski jump. Have found all the prices ok

• 20 May 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

So it looks like the BER airport won’t be opening until 2013. My flight has been redirected to TXL and arrives at 8:05 AM on the 11th. Is anyone else going to be arriving at TXL around that time? I figure we can split a cab or figure out the subways to the first hostel.

• 20 May 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Oh really?? Better find out where my flight is going then as I was meant to be going to (and out of later) BER :( Did you flight times change too?? I can imagine the logistics might get messy for all the flights that are already booked to land there!!!

• 21 May 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

Most definitely, I can only imagine what kind of chaos they’re dealing with. Luckily my flight times didn’t change. Lucy was the one who first notified me about it. She even got an e-mail from her airline, and so I followed up with mine. It’s crazy that so many companies had such faith in the airport opening on time!

• 21 May 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Yeah does seem strange! checked with my airline and the time’s still the same just to TXL instead of BER. Sorry not the same time Joseph so cant share a taxi, I think there is a shuttle bus from the airport though??

• 21 May 2012 LucyHx said

LucyHx

My flight arrives at 9am at Berlin Schoenefeld SXF if anyones arrives at roughly the same time :)

• 29 May 2012 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Hey all! When I applied for my Russian visa for that part of the tour, I got an itinerary with all the hostels and hotels listed! Don’t know if if could change but if anyone is interested -

Copenhagen – The Generator Hostel
    Gothenburg – Kvibergs Vandrarhem and Stugby AB
    Gjvork – Quality Hotel Strand
    Geiranger Fjord – Hellesylt Vandrerhjem
    Voss – Voss Vandrarheim Hostel
    Oslo – Oslo Vanrerhjem Haraldsheim
    Honningsvag – Nordkapp Vandrerhjem Hostel
    Stockholm – Scandic Upplands Vasby Hotel
    Helsinki – Cumulus Airport Hotel
    St Petersburg – Polustrovo Hotel
    Novgorod – Sadko Hotel
    Moscow – Astrus Hotel
    Minsk – Yubileinaya Hotel
    Warsaw – Hotel Felix

Some of them look a bit tricky to pronounce lol!! :) There is the possibility that these might not be 100% correct but at least gives us an idea of some of the places!!! :)

• 29 May 2012 Beth said

Beth

Ooh, thanks Jen!! I shall spend my morning googlemapping :)

• 29 May 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

Thanks Jen! Much appreciated! :D

• 3 Jul 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

Got a question – when it comes to paying for stuff overseas, do you guys prefer paying in cash or with credit cards?

I usually just carry a buttload of cash, but I think I’m going to start using my credit cards to make things easy.

What do you guys think?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion