Community_discussions_small  

Question

Snacks for bus trips

22 Nov 2011 AlexG asked

AlexG

Just wandering what some good snack ideas are for the bus trips??

• 24 Nov 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Lollies and pringles got me through!!!It’s nice to grab some fruit if you can but it can be hard to find at the servos!! Are you going to Europe?? they have nutella with dipping sticks EVERYWHERE!! They are great for it!!
    I’d recommend having a big breaky every day as they are usually buffet so you can eat as much as you want so you’re not as hungry through the day, I tried to have a reasonable lunch too where we could so I wouldn’t snack so much!!!

• 24 Nov 2011 AlexG said

AlexG

awesome thanks! :)
    nah im going 2 NZ for two weeks
    did you take stuff from the breakfast at the hotel to have as snacks through the day? like if they had fruit or bread rolls etc to save money???

• 24 Nov 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Some people did do that!! I felt too guilty to do it lol!!! You might find in NZ the driving days aren’t typically so long!! there are a handfull of long days but mostly it’s only a few hours. I did a NZ contiki just under 5 years (omg a bit scary that it’s so far ago) ago and I can’t remember buying any food for the bus trips!!! It is entirely possible though that I’ve forgotten about it :P Have a great time when you go!!!! :D

• 24 Nov 2011 AlexG said

AlexG

thanks for your help! this will be my first contiki so its a bit scary!! lol :D

• 30 Nov 2011 happy go said

Default_avatar

i was told we can eat anything as long as it was not ice cream or anything sticky so i stuck to cans of soft drink and pringles and cheezels as long as you take your rubbish when you get off the bus they dont care too much what you eat hope this helps

• 1 Dec 2011 Brooke2010 said

Brooke2010

i just remember eating alot of Pringles :)

• 1 Dec 2011 AlexG said

AlexG

thanks guys! :):)

• 1 Dec 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

And nothing with milk too!! the drivers don’t like that when it spills! I can remember not being able to take hot drinks on either, not sure if that was the milk or the danger of burning factor though??

• 1 Dec 2011 Brooke2010 said

Brooke2010

cant take any hot smelly foods on da bus it will get annoying for others

• 2 Dec 2011 Beks said

Beks

Hey Alex, as Jen has said, the driving isn’t too long between stops. I might be biaised being a Kiwi but some of my favourite snacks from around the world are from home so if you have a sweet tooth, make a point of trying as much as you can! I recommend the following:

Sweets & chocolate: Perky nanas, Pixie caramels, Pineapple lumps, Jaffas, Raspberry twists, Minties, Moro bars, Mars bars (the taste is different to the ones you get overseas), Caramello or Rocky Road dairy milk or Milky bar chocolate (again, different to overseas).

Biscuits/cookies: CookieTime cookies (any flavour), Toffeepops, Squiggles (hokey pokey flavour is the best), Mallowpuffs (the rocky road version is really good).

Crisps & crackers: Twisties, Cheezels, Rashuns, Grainwaves, Kettle Fries, thick cut crisps, Shapes

If you stop at a service station, and have time before you get back on the coach, try a meat pie from the pie warmer! And make sure you get fish & chips at least once and sit down by the beach, lake or river to eat them (with Watties tomato sauce to have with them).

Have an amazing time. When do you leave?

~Beks

• 3 Dec 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Mars bars do taste different everywhere dont they?!?! I can’t remember the NZ ones tasting much different from Australia but in Europe and the UK they are way different!!!! all the chocolate is!!

• 3 Dec 2011 Louise said

Louise

you also have to get some Razzcherries at the fruit shop you visit in the south island…not cheap but they are sooooo good..

• 4 Dec 2011 AlexG said

AlexG

thanks bek! such great info :):):) i agree jen! chocolate in europe is so much better …. ill have try some rascherries LCM :) where do you buy them from?

• 4 Dec 2011 AlexG said

AlexG

i leave on june 30 2012 beks :)

• 5 Dec 2011 Louise said

Louise

You get Razzcherries from “Mrs Jones’ fruit shop” in Cromwell which is located not far from Queenstown and it was a special stop for fruit etc that the tour makes. We stopped here on our travel day from Dunedin to Queenstown or if you are doing the other direction Queenstown to Dunedin.

• 22 Dec 2011 Explorer1307236 said

Default_avatar

I’m glad i took Allen’s Lollies. The lollies in Europe are Crap! I also craved Pizza or BBQ Shapes when i was over there. I don’t know why because it’s not something i have often! The chocolate in Euroe is crap (Other than switzerland), Take Cadbury! Its also quite expensive. I’m going there again next year and i’m going to take a few snacks with me – shapes, fruit & nut mix, Chocolate and lollies. I also took some snack pack size canned fruit. They were great because as Jen said it’s hard to buy fruit and it’s expensive. Someone on my tour paid 5 Euro for an apple!

Default_avatar

Oh and if you are like me and usually have vegemite on toast for breakfast i would take a tube of vegemite! Breakfast in Europe is Cereal or Toast with Nutella or Jam!

Default_avatar

If your tour goes to Amsterdam get some stroopwafels! YUM!

• 23 Dec 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

oh Stroopwafels are the best!! You can get them in the supermarket here in Aus but just not the same. I had some in Prague as well and they were fresh and still hot from cooking!!! Best ever!!!!

• 25 Dec 2011 Explorer1334491 said

Default_avatar

Hey, is it ok to take most packaged stuff over to Europe for a tour? I.e. is it ok to take it through customs? I was just thinking lollies, perhaps muesli bars, chocolate. Maybe nuts (although Im not sure if they would get through).

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion