Community_discussions_small  

Question

Top 5 things to do in Amsterdam...

28 Nov 2011 BecS asked

BecS

Hey everyone, I'll be heading to Amsterdam next year during the summer for a few days on my lonesome before my Contiki tour.

I was wondering what everyone's Top 5 Things To do in Amsterdam were. Thanks... I'll be looking forward to reading what ppl have to say!!

• 28 Nov 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

I’d say:
    – Hunt around for the iamsterdam sign…..we had alot of fun on the local tram system finding this!!!
    – Chill out at a coffee shop…even if you don’t want to smoke, it is still a unique experience
    – Visit the red light district! If you’re on your own, maybe through the day time (I don’t think I’d like to wander it on my lonesome). Our Contiki group went and saw a sex show there too which was a very unique experience!! Probably wouldn’t go on my own though to be totally honest!!!! :D
    – Eat up some yummy Dutch food! Poffetjes are little pancakes with icing sugar and lemon and are to die for!!! The beef croquets are also amazing!!! ( I am a little biased because I have Dutch heritage, my mum and oma used to make these alot when I was younger!!!) on a side note, McDonalds over there has a great McCroquet burger which is pretty good after a big night….just saying!!
    – Check out Anne Frank’s house. It is a truely amazing place and is so interesting and sad!!!

Unfortunately I was only there for one day on contiki so didn’t have much time for anything else. A lot of people went of to the Heineken Museum which was apparently quite good!! Would have been cool to ride a bike around a bit but there just wasn’t really the time! will def be going back sometime in the future to tick a few more things off the list!!!

• 29 Nov 2011 BecS said

BecS

Thanks! I’ll be there for 3 days so definately want to fit some bike riding in. And thanks for the tip on the red light district – I’m a bit aprehensive going there on my own, hopefully it’ll be alright during the day??!

• 29 Nov 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Yeah I’d think so through the day!!! Just dont take any photos…..Sort of common sense considering what’s there but I’ve heard stories of the ladies chasing tourists down and throwing their cameras into the dykes!! :P

• 22 Jan 2012 Rhys said

Rhys

I’ve got a great guide to Amsterdam at http://insydetravel.info with plenty of good things to do in Amsterdam.

• 24 Jan 2012 BecS said

BecS

Thanks, great website you’ve got going on there!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion