Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Euro Inspiration

29 Jan 2008 7mav7 said

Default_avatar
Any reviews from people doing Euro Inspiration? Would be great to know what people have thought and recommendations they have

Cheers
  • 3 Feb 2008 peteywoods said

peteywoods

I second that! love to hear from ppl who have been on this trip too. Thanks!

• 9 Feb 2008 Em said

Default_avatar

I want to go on the inspiration tour in december this year so would like to hear anyones thoughts and opinions about it!

• 10 Feb 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

Try doing a search, also look in facebook you can also google European Inspiration +contiki and see what comes up. Many people don’t know about this website.

• 27 Feb 2008 Explorer1091264 said

Default_avatar

I did this tour in Sept 07 and had a blast. It was a double tour so there were 2 buses doing the same trip. Prague is a must see and if you can do it while the Oktoberfest is on even better. All tours are what you make them but we had a great bunch of people and it was heaps of fun. Some of the hotels aren’t the best but you are only there to sleep and you do get sick of a bread roll for breakfast everyday pretty soon.

• 28 Feb 2008 Troy said

Default_avatar

I went on European Inspiration in June ‘07. Would have to say it was the best experience in my life!

First off, to anyone who can afford it, try to spend at least an extra day in London before the tour starts. It will give you time to catch up on sleep, loose the jet lag, and see London. I landed around noon, and had to start the tour in 18 hours (and still needed to see the city, and get a good rest after being up for 30 strait hours).

Amsterdam was a whole lot of fun. It was a culture-shock for some people (including my girlfriend), but it helps bring the tour group together and everyone can get to know each other.

Germany was full of history (obviously). Cant say there’s a dull moment to be had. Go to the beer hall in Munich! Take the walking tours!

Prague was beautiful. the hotel i stayed in was tiny, but it had a bowling alley in the basement. makes for a great contiki party.

Italy was one of my favorite countries. You get to see Venice, Rome, Pisa and Florence. Bring your Camera! I did the Rome & Florence walking tour… But didn’t enjoy the one in Rome, although its probably still a good thing to do. It could have just been the extreme heat.
    Gondola rides in Venice are fun. If you have the money, spend it for the memories! (remember, its good to $ave, but money does u no good when you’re gone, so enjoy it while u can). We had to get up at 5am for the Vatican. It was interesting. Take pictures in the Sisteen Chapel… they like it when u do.

Switzerland was the most beautiful place i’ve ever been. I would urge everyone to take the moutain tour up Mt. Pilatus. Sit down by the lake and people watch when you have free time.

Finally was Paris. Effil tower is a must. Our tour manager was kind enough to give us a driving tour of the whole city (free). Sadly, i caught the Contiki Cough around this time… but i sucked it up and did everything i could.

Tips:

• There’s an American Express bank in Florence that will cash your AE Travelers Cheques for free! I dont recall if they took 1%, but hey, it’s only 1%! people need to make $ if you want convenience.
    • Bring one of those cheap $1 raincoats. they fold up into nothing. you might think you wont need it, but trust me, when the time comes, you’ll be thinking “Thank you Troy!”
    • Party all you want, but make sure you get some good night sleeps every couple days.
    • Dont expect people to be quiet on the bus. You might want to sleep, but that’s what your hotel was for the night before.
    • Scout out where u want to eat dinner through the day, it will save you plenty of time – or a bad meal, later on. Watch out for any weird taxes (in such places as Venice or Paris)
    • Buy food and drinks ahead of time when you have a full day in a city. I would visit supermarkets off the beaten path, and it went a long way! 3 euros for a small drink at a highway stop, or 1 euro for some massive drink at a supermarket!

I haven’t put my Coniki pics up here (yet), but i have the scenic ones on my website if anyone’s interested. My Gallery

I kept it somewhat brief just so i dont spoil anything cool along the trip, and it’s also a verrry long trip… too much to type about. Of course, ask any questions and i’ll check back whenever i can!

• 28 Feb 2008 7mav7 said

Default_avatar

Hey Troy,

Thanks it sounds awesome- i can’t wait for my trip! Couple of questions- do you think the optional excursions are worthwhile and do most people do them? Where abouts are you from? i ask because im trying to decide how to take my money cash/ travellers cheques / credit card and which is best, cheapest and easiest.

Thanks

• 28 Feb 2008 Troy said

Default_avatar

I’m from Toronto, Canada.

Here’s a breakdown on all the excurtions i did/didn’t do, and opinions:

Amsterdam:
    -Sea Palace: Didn’t do.. not my cup of tea.
    -Canal Cruise: Did. Would recommend, all u can drink, get to see the sights, and mingle with everyone.
    -Sex Show: Did. Not advertised obviously, but if you’re looking for something new without being touched, or touchign someone, then this is it! I’d say 90% of the group attended. It was interesting, and you get a few drinks included. Not for the extremely innocent!

Berlin:
    -Walking Tour: Did. Worth every euro-penny.

Prague:
    -Lunch Cruise: Didn’t do. Heard it was Chinese food. (who goes to Prague for chinese?). Didn’t really hear anything positive. Plus, there’s lots of good food around the city! Do your research.

Munich:
    -Bike Tour: Didn’t do. Heard good reviews. I wanted to walk the city on my own (and catch up on some sleep). Also, they have a Huge museum on physics, space, avaition, etc. so I made my way over there.

Austria:
    -White Water Rafting: Didn’t do. Looked fun and heard great reviews. Was a bit expensive, so i passed it up (plus i was drinking the night before in Munich). The weather was cold at the time, and i dont do ‘cold water’. I was okay with missing out.

Venice:
    -Gondola: Did. Would recommend. Romantic if you have your ‘other’ with you. It’s a 6 person ride, fyi.
    -Venetian Resteraunt: Didn’t do. I prefer to wander and find my own places. The food was pretty good in Venice, i must admit.
    -Tshirt: Dont recall this choice. but… hey, its your call. I’ve always wanted a Tshirt.

Rome:
    -Imperial Tour: Did. It was a hot day. I think they called it an “African Heat Wave” (no jokes). But I wasn’t impressed. I could have walked in myself and still known what happened. It’s just someone that walks you through the ruins, and to the colosuem. Now, the Coloseum costs a bit to get into… I didn’t go in.

Also, watch out for Gypsies in Rome! oh boy!

Florence:
    -Group Photo: Didn’t do. Everyone got a decent photo of the group, but they later posted it on facebook, now i have the photo too. Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->
    -Tuscan Evening: Didn’t do. I wasn’t impressed with the price. Sought out for my own Dinner with the girlfriend. Made for a nice quiet evening together.
    -Disco: Did. I cant say it was amazing, but i wasn’t bored. you can buy drinks by the Pitcher! (Hello Rum & Cokes!) I dont remember how the night ended. Music was good tho, got a bit crowded. not a big dance floor.

Lucerne:
    -Cruise to Stanstad: Didn’t do. Saw some pictures, looked nice, didn’t hear feedback. Glad i skipped out though.
    -?- I’m not sure if Mt. Piladus (spelling) is an option anymore, but if you have free time, go!

Engelberg:
    -Didn’t go here, Sounds exciting! (take me?)
    I’d do it.

Paris:
    -Moulin Rouge: Didn’t Do. I heard great reviews… but 230 Euros for 2 people, plus additional expenses for certain things i dont remember… NO way i’d fork out that much. But agian, that’s my opinion. If you have $ to burn on a show, then i’d recommend. If you’re a guy looking for fun and have money to blow, You missed your opportunity in Amsterdam. lol.

For the tours, they are signed up for in your first few days of the trip. You can gather from that how many people are going or not.

As for money…

I brought Cash, Travelers Cheques, Credit Card, and Debit.

I would highly recommend watching the currencies for a few months before your trip. (For me, Canadian $ vs. the Euro). I ended up buying cash and cheques a bit more cheap, and saved myself at least $75. Just keep it somewhere safe before hand.

I had to use Debit once when we ran out of funds.. Visa isn’t accepted as much if you’re use to it in North America.

Visa… Well, i cant live without my visa card. I’ll use it whenever possible just to:
    -Track Expenses
    -Get Insurance on whatever i buy
    -Be covered if the card is stolen

Hope that helps a bit. :c)

• 3 Mar 2008 7mav7 said

Default_avatar

Awesome thanks Troy, that was a lot of help!!

• 13 Mar 2008 Troy said

Default_avatar

Just to follow up from one of my posts above:

The gallery page that I posted above is (pretty much) all scenery. There was lots of partying, etc. but of course I dont want everything out in the public (if you can understand).

There’s also a (decent) video I posted a while back, some of you might have an interest. Enjoy!

Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 18 Mar 2008 Vicky said

Default_avatar

Hey!
    Just wanted 2 say i looked at ure pictures and video and they are great! It looks like u had an awesome time! Im going on this trip in april and uve just made me look forward to it even more!! Thanx
    vicky

• 18 Mar 2008 Simone1411 said

Simone1411

Hi! Just wondering if anyone is on the European Inspiration departing I think it’s Spt 14th?
    We’re from NZ and were wondering who we could find first!
    Simone

• 19 Mar 2008 Simone1411 said

Simone1411

Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->
    Also.. just realised I can’t find this trip on the searches .. only Euro Impressions? Weird!

• 19 Mar 2008 7mav7 said

Default_avatar

Hi Simone,

Yeah I can’t find it anymore either, must be a glitch with the new web design. I’m not on your trip, i go in May. Am also from NZ-Wellington. Where abouts are you from?

• 3 Apr 2008 7mav7 said

Default_avatar

Any other reviews- ppl who have just completed the tour??

Chz Mark

• 9 Apr 2008 megfoster said

Default_avatar

I took this trip last June/July and it was amazing! I met really great people who I am still in touch with and I had some really awesome experiences. A few words of advice though, most of the food at the optional dinners wasn’t very good, we only ended up doing them so that we could be with the rest of the group. I recommend convincing the people you are hanging out with to find cooler more authentic places by yourselves. The Tuscan dinner with the monks was really good though, and I think that our entire group was at that. Also, if you are planning on adding a few days in London to your trip, add them to the beginning, because by the end you will be so exhausted that any unstructured touring will seem physically impossible. I say this from experience, and I am not a crazy insane partier(normally Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> ). By the end of our tour most of us had the “Contiki cough.”
    You’ll probably be running on like 3-4 hours of sleep a night for most of the tour, but just think, you’re young and how many times will you get to do this again?!

Default_avatar

Also if you want to see what it’s really like check out facebook, I know our tour has a group on there with photos and everybody added their own on their profiles, plus there are tons of other Contiki groups.
    The link to our group is:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2569325988
    Let me know if you have any questions, I’ll even clue you into the few amazing restaurants we found etc.

• 9 Apr 2008 Explorer1094244 said

Default_avatar

Hi there. I will be going on this tour at the end of june, just wanted to know whether i need to bring a bathing suit?

Default_avatar

I didn’t end up needing mine, but if you go white water rafting you will definitely need it, bring one just in case.

• 4 Jun 2008 Tasha said

Tasha

Hi! I’m hopefully going on the one on the 3rd Nov 08, is anyone else thinking about doing this trip? and has anyone does this trip during the winter? any tips? Cheers x Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 10 Jun 2008 steph said

Default_avatar

hey meg thanks for the good advice. me and my best friend are doing this trip in sep. did u do the moulin rouge? did your group hang out together most nights

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.