Community_discussions_small  

Question

Aussie Explorer Review? (Darwin to Sydney)

5 Dec 2011 AllysaDreams asked

AllysaDreams

Hi there,

I was wandering if anyone would be able to give me a review of this tour, any tips, just as much information as possible, is Australia expensive, tour highlights, optionals to do or not to do.

I'm planning to go the latter part of next year, possibly then stay in sydney for a week, then Melbourne, Adelaide then onto Perth (Will be staying for a couple months, possibly if i can be brave enough at least 6 months and work!)

My name is Allysa, from UK

Thankyou :)

• 6 Dec 2011 Explorer1307323 said

Default_avatar
    Online Calculator It’s really great post.Thanks for sharing it.
  • 15 Dec 2011 Bec said

Bec

Hey Allysa!
    Can’t help with the tour (all though it does look excellent) I’ve found the comparison between Australia and the UK moneywise to be fairly similar, the Australian dollar is strong so Australia is nowhere near as cheap as it was 5 years ago.

Getting a job in hospitality is by far the easiest way to get work (unless your a nurse, then work agency and earn a tonne) and the average hourly wage for bar staff is about AUD$22-28p/hr plus weekend penalties another option which a few tourists opt for is to work as a farm hand picking apples or grapes which is kind of cool as you usually stay in a country town and get to be a part of the community when you stay (you can be on a farm and be half an hour from Adelaide, so your not too far removed from the interesting things).

Depending on how much money you have and if you pick up some friends on the way, I’d hire a car and drive from Melbourne to Adelaide via the Coast as it really is quite beautiful or drive Adelaide to Perth via the Nullabor plain (although its really pretty for a few hours and then you get sick of red dirt and desert for 8 hours on a perfectly straight road :/) But getting from state to state, an interstate bus is cheap, train, plane and car are all about the same, but you can get really cheap flights at certain times from state to state.

I have no idea if that helps, but hopefully it gives you some insight!

Bec

• 21 Dec 2011 AllysaDreams said

AllysaDreams

Hi Bec,

Well thankyou for all your tips, I really appreciate it! So have you been and worked in Australia? I really can’t wait although going to decide on whether to go for a long holiday or holiday and work in the new year. I really want to do it but just need to find the courage! If you did go were you nervous and how was the experience compared to how you imagined it?

Yes I’ve heard about the coast road from
    Melbourne to Adelaide and I’d love to do that! :) just in the process of finally learning to drive so I should have passed before then.

I think I’ll either get a train or plane to Perth as it would be a long journey but don’t want to make too many plans as reading on travel forums for alot of people they change.

Booking the tour and flight beginning of next year for sure and getting working visa just in case

Hope to hear from you soon and thanks for answering

Allysa

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.