Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Northern NYC-LA 14th Sept 2012?

13 Dec 2011 AYE-ME :) asked

AYE-ME :)

Hey guys,
just wondering if anyone else has booked in for this tour?

Im also doing the Grand Southern Tour LA - NYC August 2nd.

Keen to meet some people before the tour.

• 4 Jan 2012 Ally_84 said

Default_avatar

Hi,

I am considering doing this trip. Just have to juggle a few things around first. I also want to do the NY Uncovered and LA Explorer pre and post tours.

I am hoping to book some time in February.

Ally.

• 9 Jan 2012 Paige said

Paige

Hi I just put down a deposit for this tour! Looks fantastic- cant wait a whole 9 mths!

Ally, I also booked the New York Uncovered that ends right before this one starts :) And the LA to the bay for a week after it finishes, if anyone is keen?! :)

Where are you both from??

Paige

• 9 Jan 2012 Ally_84 said

Default_avatar

Hi Paige,

I havent booked anything in yet as I mentioned but definitely going to do the NY uncovered and Grand Northern. It sounds like a cheaper way to do NY than to pay for accommodation and do the rest yourself.

Just a question on that…..I asked my travel agent how it works when you are doing two consecutive tours cos the NY uncovered supposedly finishes on the day the Grand Northern starts. Did they say anything to you about it overlapping?

Id love to do the LA to the bay but cant afford it hence why I am going to do the LA explorer instead.

Im from Melbourne. Where are you from? Is this your first Contiki or have you done one before?

Ally.

• 9 Jan 2012 Ally_84 said

Default_avatar

Ooops I just clicked on your profile and that answered my two questions….sorry :-)

• 9 Jan 2012 AYE-ME :) said

hey Paige and Ally.

Im doing the grand southern tour at the beginning of august, and have 1 week in new york and 1 in orlando before this one starts, and about 3 weeks after on the west coast before i have to head home. im so excited.

ill 21 by the time the trip comes and going solo.

• 10 Jan 2012 Paige said

Paige

Hi guys!!

Ally, it definitely looks like a cheaper way to do NY. I think I might be going a few days before that one anyway but will probably look for a hostel to stay at. Havent finalised dates completely. But it would be cool to be doing both tours together! As far as the overlap, it shouldnt be a problem. I emailed someone from contiki and they said basically the NY one finishes at breakfast and the other one would start, so we would just skip breakfast for the NY tour and meet up with the Grand Northern people. And I would think (from past experience with contiki) we would have a pre-departure meeting the night before (for the grand northern), so we would just have to make sure we are back at the hotel for that (around dinner time I think generally). The person that emailed me seemed to think it was perfect timing, so I would assume maybe they did that for that reason to avoid having to get an extra night accomodation somewhere. Also I am pretty sure the person that emailed me said they would be at the same hotel- again, probably safe to assume for the same reason. But if you want to check u could ask your travel agent, or email contiki or ask on their facebook page :) hope that helps!

And I am travelling solo too- which will be a first- so a bit nervous but excited! and I will turn 23 while on my 3rd tour so pretty excited!

:)

Paige

• 11 Jan 2012 Ally_84 said

Default_avatar

Thanks Paige. I assummed that the tours should work out otherwise the wouldnt recommend it would they? I will suss it all out when I book. It would be good if we could book on the NY Uncovered tour together – then at least we know someone hey lol.

Im planning on doing the LA explorer then doing the 2 day Hawaiian stoppover (which is why I cant do the LA to the bay!!) Ive never been there and am keen to do that. Are you going anywhere after that or back home?

I went solo on my Europe tour and its seriously the best way to go. Then you meet up with people who want to do the same sort of things and you dont miss out on the things you want to do!

Well I will be older than both of you :-( I will be 27 turning 28 in October!! Best way to travel though with contiki. Takes the hassle out of everything.

• 13 Jan 2012 Paige said

Paige

Hi! I just booked my flights and have paid my deposits for Contiki! So I have booked the NY Uncovered! I was considering the LA Explorer, because I am spending a week in LA at the end of the Grand Northern tour. Undecided as of yet. Will probably just stay at a hostel for something different. I thought about the Hawaiian stopover too funnily enough, and was going to do it but the airfare was going to be pretty expensive :( But instead, I am flying with air New Zealand, so have a stopover in Auckland, which I am now using to do another short Contiki. So I figured 4 was enough for one trip too :P Oh and I am spending some time in Vancouver with a friend after the LA to the Bay.

I think traveling alone will be great, I am looking forward to it! It’s something I never thought I could do. But Contiki is definitely the way to go- it’s just so much easier!!! When did you go to Europe and which tour did you do?? And don’t worry about your age, on my last contiki we had a bunch of over 30 year olds and it was fine, you wouldn’t have even known! Oh when is your birthday!! We’ll both have them over there!! :)

• 13 Jan 2012 Paige said

Paige

Hi! I just booked my flights and have paid my deposits for Contiki! So I have booked the NY Uncovered! I was considering the LA Explorer, because I am spending a week in LA at the end of the Grand Northern tour. Undecided as of yet. Will probably just stay at a hostel for something different. I thought about the Hawaiian stopover too funnily enough, and was going to do it but the airfare was going to be pretty expensive :( But instead, I am flying with air New Zealand, so have a stopover in Auckland, which I am now using to do another short Contiki. So I figured 4 was enough for one trip too :P Oh and I am spending some time in Vancouver with a friend after the LA to the Bay.

I think traveling alone will be great, I am looking forward to it! It’s something I never thought I could do. But Contiki is definitely the way to go- it’s just so much easier!!! When did you go to Europe and which tour did you do?? And don’t worry about your age, on my last contiki we had a bunch of over 30 year olds and it was fine, you wouldn’t have even known! Oh when is your birthday!! We’ll both have them over there!! :)

• 13 Jan 2012 Ally_84 said

Default_avatar

Yay. How exciting!! Now it feels a bit more real hey? Wow thats going to be a full on trip for you! Ive always wanted to see Pearl Harbour so its only a 3 day tour but it will be enough as it is quite expensive. We have an America expo in Feb so im probably going to check that out for some info or deals before I book. Cool so we will at least be doing the NY uncovered and the Grand Northern together. Im pretty excited about NY. What date do you arrive in NY then?

I did the 29 day European Contrasts back in May 2009. It was awesome!! So its been 3 years and ive always wanted to do America and Canada.

Hopefully there is a couple of older people on tour as well!! Haha. My birthday is the 25th Oct so I will be home by then. But at least we can celebrate yours!!!

• 18 Jan 2012 Paige said

Paige

It feels a lot more real! Starting to get more nervous about travelling on my own too! But excited about that too! Oh good idea about the expo. We have an expo too, so might just go and check it out for fun anyway. It will be awesome to do the 2 tours together! I cant WAIT to see NY- especially in autumn! I think I’ll prob get there about the 8th or 9th. Depends bc I am flying into LA and just have to decide if I want to stay a night there after the long flights or to fly straight over. Depends on cost but it will be one of those dates. what about you??

Oh Pearl Harbour would be fantastic too!! Jealous!
    I did 2 contikis in Europe, last yr and the year before. Best time of my life! Ad mine is on the 27th so we won’t- it will be the last day of my 3rd tour. So hopefully can party that night in San Fran!

• 18 Jan 2012 AYE-ME :) said

Paige,
    i agree with you about the starting to get nervous. im doing my first solo trip, and im gone for 3 months. i know ill meet heaps of people on both trips and before i know it, it will be time to head home again.

i was looking at doing the ny uncovered, simply because you can do your own thing and it also seems pretty cheap compared to the price of accomodation in NYC, but id be looking at doing this after my grand southern tour.

no doubt the time between now and the tour will just fly past, well thats what im hoping atleast. cant wait.

Amy.

• 19 Jan 2012 Paige said

Paige

It definitely sounds like a good way to see most of New York too Amy! I am hoping the time will fly!

I’m sure we will be fine, and it sounds like there will be a few of us travelling on our own anyway!! The Grand Southern sounds awesome too! So jealous you’re doing both! I considered it too, but maybe next time haha!

Paige

• 5 Feb 2012 Explorer1306276 said

Default_avatar

Hi everyone,

I am also doing the Grand Northern starting sept 14th. Going with 2 others and we are staying in NY for about a week before it starts and then staying in LA for another 4 days after it ends!

I am turning 25 about half way through the Grand Northern and my friend turns 24 about 5 days later!

We are from Brisbane and Bundaberg.

Cant wait – only about 7 months to go!!!!

Alex.

• 11 Feb 2012 Pete said

Pete

Hi guys,
    I’m Pete from Sydney. We’ve just started an online postcard site so you can send your postcards straight to facebook or email and we’re trying to get the word out. We have postcards for the places you’re going so please spread the word around your tour. Thanks guys and safe travels!
    www.ThePerfectPostcard.com
    Pete

• 17 Feb 2012 Paige said

Paige

Hi Alex!! Where are you staying in NY and LA? Nice to meet you :)

• 4 Mar 2012 Explorer1306276 said

Default_avatar

Hi Paige,
    We are staying at the Staybridge Suites on Times Square for most of our time in NY but we are moving to the Contiki allocated hotel the night before the tour starts. Then we stay at the other contiki allocated hotel in LA before moving to one in Anaheim a couple of days later :) What about you??

• 4 Mar 2012 Ally_84 said

Default_avatar

Hi Alex,

Nice to meet you!!

I have finally booked everything in for my trip now which is very exciting. Looking forward to meeting everyone on the tour!!

Ally

• 10 Mar 2012 Paige said

Paige

Hi! I am staying at a HI Hostel in NY for 4 nights and then doing the NY Uncovered, which i believe is in the same hotel as this tour, and then straight into it! And in LA im staying 1 extra night in the contiki hotel and then doing the 5 day LA Explorer- again in the same hotel, and then finding a hostel for another 3 days or so.

I’m so excited to meet everyone too- going to be an awesome tour!

• 2 May 2012 Bainy said

Bainy

G’day guys,

I’ve booked the NYC uncovered before and teh LA explorer after this tour.

Everyone booked up yet?

Gonna be a good tour, cant wait!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion