Community_discussions_small  

Question

Great Britain and Ireland Sept 21-Oct 6 2012

16 Dec 2011 Agent Awesome asked

Agent Awesome

I'm going on the Great Britain and Ireland tour September 21 - October 6 2012, and I'm flying solo! Looking for fellow travellers who might be doing the same!

• 13 Jan 2012 GoodNightmares said

GoodNightmares

Hello, Im Morgan.
    I am doing the same tour as you but I will be flying solo from Sydney.
    It is my first time on a plane too so I am really nervous..

• 13 Jan 2012 Agent Awesome said

Agent Awesome

Have you not gone on a short flight before either? Long flights aren’t too bad, just make sure you bring and iPod and a book, there’s plenty of movies to watch to kill time. Also getting a hold of some sleeping pills from your doc can help, sometimes it’s not easy to get to sleep so it can help alot. I’ve never flown overseas alone before, so I’m a little nervous about that myself. Where do you stop over?

• 14 Jan 2012 GoodNightmares said

GoodNightmares

Not even a short flight.. But I stop at Dubai for 2 hrs on the way. I arrive in London at 12:15pm on Thursday the 20th. It is going to be quite an experience I believe haha (:

• 14 Jan 2012 Agent Awesome said

Agent Awesome

Haha it will be an experience, but you’ll be fine :) I find that longer flights are better, because on the bigger planes you don’t feel as many bumps and everything when you’re flying. The first time I flew to LA, I thought it was a breeze! You won’t get much sleep, but you’ll watch plenty of movies, eat some average food and amuse yourself otherwise :) I have to stop over for about 2 and a half hours in Hong Kong on the way (from Adelaide) and 8 hours on the way back! Not looking forward to that! I get in to London on Monday the 17th at 6am. My friend who I met on my last Contiki is going to come meet me at the airport and help me to my hotel :) Can’t wait to go! Have you been on Contiki before?

• 14 Jan 2012 GoodNightmares said

GoodNightmares

Well thank you for easing my thoughts about flying (: The woman who organised my flights made sure I had quick stopovers, which I don’t know is a good or a bad thing yet. And no, I haven’t been on any contiki tours before, I only turned 18 at the end of September. The day I land in London will actually be my birthday, so I will most likely spend my 19th jet lagged and confused. I am trying to actually spend my gap year trying new things and experiencing things, instead of just having a year doing nothing. What contiki did you do last time?

• 15 Jan 2012 Agent Awesome said

Agent Awesome

I’d say it’s probably a good thing to have short stopovers, because you’d rather be on a plane than in the airport waiting around :P and alot of the time if it’s only a couple of hours, it goes by super quick because you get off, walk around, sometimes have to check in again and before you know it you’re boarding :) I’m going to be spending my birthday over there too! Mine isn’t until October, but I’ll be spending my 24th birthday there :) I did the Grand Canadian tour, it was amazing! Oh and my name is Amy by the way :)

• 15 Jan 2012 GoodNightmares said

GoodNightmares

Hello Amy (: And I would love to go to Canada one day but I have always wanted to go to Ireland, hence this tour. I can’t wait for the 9months to hurry and go so I can finally see it. And I’m sure you are going to have a great 24th over there (:

• 16 Jan 2012 Agent Awesome said

Agent Awesome

I’m sure you’re going to have a great birthday over there too. I don’t think we could pick a better present for ourselves. Atleast it will make it one to remember! If you arrive the day before the tour, we will have a meeting that night, so we might have to go have a pre tour drink for your birthday!

• 16 Jan 2012 GoodNightmares said

GoodNightmares

It will definitely be a birthday we won’t forget haha (: And pre tour drinks for my birthday sounds great. How do we know when the meeting is on, like time wise. Do they tell us when we check in at the hotel? I just think I’m going to be really confused when I arrive in London. Did you do the Canadian tour by yourself? Was it quite easy getting from the airport to the hotel and checking in? Sorry about bothering you with all these questions..

• 16 Jan 2012 Agent Awesome said

Agent Awesome

I went on the Canadian tour with my brother, but I’m told it’s quite easy to get into London from Heathrow. I’d recommend maybe having a chat to your travel agent and see if they can give you any information on the train, it takes about an hour, but it would cost far too much to jump in a cab. If you’re staying at the Contiki hotel that the tour starts from (there is two to choose from when you book nights pre tour) which is the Royal National, then there will be a poster in the lobby saying what time it is, usually it’s in the evening. I would imagine the other hotel would have the same flyer directing to where the meeting is though :) It’s all pretty well set out, you shouldn’t have any problems :)

• 17 Jan 2012 GoodNightmares said

GoodNightmares

Thank you. (: I will be staying at the Royal National so this helps. I think my travel agent has arranged for someone from the hotel to pick me up from the airport but I will double check with her. If not, the train option will definitely be the way to go over a cab.
    Thanks again though (:

• 17 Jan 2012 Agent Awesome said

Agent Awesome

Glad to be of service :)

• 17 Mar 2012 KHunter said

KHunter

Hi! My name is Katie. I have just booked this tour and am really excited. I was glad to find some travelers on the same trip. I am traveling alone and will be flying out of Toronto. Would be nice to get to know some of you in advance :)

• 20 Mar 2012 Agent Awesome said

Agent Awesome

Hi Katie! Well atleast we know so far we have 3 girls on the trip, wonder what the ratio will be like :P
    Are you Canadian or from elsewhere?
    I’m Amy anyhow, I’m 23 and I’m from Adelaide :)
    What are your travel plans?

• 21 Mar 2012 KHunter said

KHunter

Hi Amy! I am from Ontario, Canada. I am 22 years old and this will be my fourth trip to Europe. First time on my own though :) Really excited about it. I plan on being in London on the 20th of September and then staying an extra day and a half in London at the end of the tour. There are some places in London that I have not been to yet, and really would like to that we won’t be doing on this trip. What are your plans like?

• 21 Mar 2012 Agent Awesome said

Agent Awesome

I’m going solo for the first time aswell, and I haven’t been to Europe or the UK before! So excited! I have about 4 days in London before the tour, then about another 4 after, then Manchester, Amsterdam and Copenhagen over a week, then back to Essex for a couple days then Kent for a few days before I head home. 5 and a half weeks total :) How long are you away for?

• 21 Mar 2012 KHunter said

KHunter

That sounds really exciting! I will be going for 3 weeks, basically the length of the trip. Would love to spend more time, but I decided to go on the tour right after I am finished college in August.

• 22 Mar 2012 Agent Awesome said

Agent Awesome

That will be a great celebration for finishing college! I’ve been planning to go away again pretty much since I got back from my last holiday, so I’m doing alot of saving to be able to go over for that amount of time! And it’s about 24 hours of travel from where I live :S

• 22 Mar 2012 Jonathan said

Jonathan

Hi, my name’s Jonathan. I plan on booking this trip tomorrow. I’m still pondering some other trips and dates, but I’m 99% sure it I will choose this one(Scotland and Ireland are on my bucket list). This will be my second trip with contiki and can’t wait. Met great people last time and intend to do the same this time.

• 22 Mar 2012 Agent Awesome said

Agent Awesome

This will be my second trip with contiki also, and I had the most amazing time last year. It’s really crazy how you make great friends in such a short amount of time :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion