Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Quickest way to Heathrow Airport from London

17 May 2010 Emily said

Default_avatar
Hi all,

Just a quick question - I have a flight back to Australia on the night my tour finishes at 9:25pm from Heathrow, and have been told the tour finishes approximately 6:30.

I'll need to race to the airport when we arrive back in London, and was just wondering what the quickest method would be (cost is no issue, all I care about it making my flight haha!)

My travel agent seemed sure I could make it in the three hours, but I just wanted to know if a taxi would be the best option?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you Smiler
  • 17 May 2010 Kelsey said

Kelsey

I know the tube takes 40 minutes or more to get there, so a taxi would probably be a better choice.

However, even though your tour is supposed to arrive around 6:30 remember that it depends on traffic and ferries as to when you actually arrive. I have heard of tours finishing anytime between 5-8pm.

• 17 May 2010 Emily said

Default_avatar

Thanks for that Kelsey Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Yeah, I assumed that 6:30 would only be an estimate, so hopefully we arrive back sooner rather than later, but if I miss my flight, so be it!

• 18 May 2010 Wynnne said

Default_avatar

The quickest way to Heathrow from London is the Heathrow Express from Paddington (if a little pricey), which station to station only takes 15 minutes. Even if you include the changes, it will be quicker than taking the tube directly from Russell Square, whilst a taxi will be both more expensive and likely to take longer due to traffic.

Depending on your airline, you may be able to check-in online and just drop off your bags once you get to the airport, which may mean you don’t have to get there as early.

You may also want to have a word with your TM, to make sure they don’t waste any time coming back to London!

• 19 May 2010 Explorer1132402 said

Default_avatar

Emily you may be lucky, we got back to London at 3.30pm, very little traffic and we got to the boat early!

• 19 May 2010 Lilly_pad said

Lilly_pad

definitely heathrow express, getting out of london using a car will not be good, the traffic will be manic

• 19 May 2010 Emily said

Default_avatar

Thanks everyone, for all your help Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    My travel agent thinks it might be an idea to forgo the ferry from Paris, and just spend an extra night there by myself, then catch the Eurostar to London…

I’m really in two minds about the whole thing though, because I really can’t afford to miss my flight (not covered by insurance), but I also don’t want to leave the tour early. Although an extra night in Paris in a fancy hotel would be nice Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

But if I do stay on, I think the Heathrow Express is the way to go, thanks!

• 20 May 2010 LJ_Traveller said

LJ_Traveller
    quote:
    Originally posted by Emily:
    Thanks everyone, for all your help Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    My travel agent thinks it might be an idea to forgo the ferry from Paris, and just spend an extra night there by myself, then catch the Eurostar to London…

I’m really in two minds about the whole thing though, because I really can’t afford to miss my flight (not covered by insurance), but I also don’t want to leave the tour early. Although an extra night in Paris in a fancy hotel would be nice Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

But if I do stay on, I think the Heathrow Express is the way to go, thanks!

Do you mean you don’t have Travel Insurance or your policy doesn’t cover cancellation of flights?

If you don’t have Travel Insurance, get it! Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 21 May 2010 Emily said

Default_avatar

No I just meant in case of missing a flight, I definitely have insurance Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 21 May 2010 Jen_au said

Jen_au

Can you move your flight back (even a few hours) at all?? A transfer fee might be worth it rather than gambling on losing the whole flight and having to book another!!
    I would be way too paranoid about being there on time if I was cutting it so fine :P

• 21 May 2010 Emily said

Default_avatar

Unfortunately not, my agent said it will cost in excess of $800 as a new flight will need to be booked, and the next day is completely booked out also… but she said play it by ear, if all else fails, I’ll just spend that last night in Paris and fly direct to London, too easy Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 23 May 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

Try calling your airline, $800 to change a flight sounds like a lot – usually it’s only $100 or $200. If it’s a couple different flights then maybe it could be more, but it wouldn’t hurt to call the airline.

Travel Agents don’t know everything and have been known to screw up stuff – like booking tours on the wrong date, booking pre and post night hotels on the wrong night.

• 29 May 2010 likeaflower said

likeaflower

Oh God, that’s cutting it fine. You have to account for getting lost in Heathrowe and peak hour traffic.

If you can’t leave your tour at 3pm, you should change your flight. And check out your travel insurance policy, it might cover those fees. $800 is wack. Like mentioned above, penalties for changing your flight are a fraction of that cost, like forfeiting the deposit.

• 2 Jun 2010 ryaneco said

Default_avatar

Its cutting it very very fine! I would have booked my flight for the following night/day and spent that extra day in London.

But with the circumstance you are in I would suggest jumping off the tour the morning the bus leaves Paris for London and make your own way via Eurostar of even by plane; you won’t want to miss your flight! And if you can’t afford the $800 to change it now; you’re likely going to have the same problem if you actually miss your flight!

Also remember that international flights you need to arrive at the airport for checkin 2 hours before departure so you’d need to be at Heathrow at 7.30 and if the tour doesn’t finish till 6.30 (pending on conditions) you’d be very lucky to make it!! Sounds like you’re enterting The Amazing Race :P

We had a guy on a tour I did in North America where our bus was running late getting into NYC and he missed his plane even with our contiki tour manager doing absolutely everything possible to help the guy out!!!

• 4 Jun 2010 Wynnne said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by ryaneco:
    But with the circumstance you are in I would suggest jumping off the tour the morning the bus leaves Paris for London and make your own way via Eurostar of even by plane; you won’t want to miss your flight! And if you can’t afford the $800 to change it now; you’re likely going to have the same problem if you actually miss your flight!

This is the way to do it. Book yourself a 1pm Eurostar journey (so you have plenty of time in the morning to get to Paris Gare du Nord), which would get into London around 2-30pm (you gain an hour when you go back to BST from CET). This leaves you plenty of time to get to Heathrow (cheapest by taking the Piccadilly line the whole way from Kings Cross St Pancras Underground Station).

The earlier you buy tickets the cheaper they will be (they go on sale 4 months in advance), but they will be significantly cheaper than $800.

• 7 Jun 2010 coolspot said

Default_avatar

I would do the Eurostar as well. No sense in stressing yourself out – especially if the traffic is bad.

Hotels in Paris are quite cheap right now, Booking.com has several decent hotels in the 80.00 per night range (and a lot of cheaper choices too).

• 9 Jun 2010 Riverdancegirl said

Default_avatar

For me, I was in Paris, connecting to London last year. The whole terminal basically had problems with check in. I was able to make that flight, but when we got to London for my connecting flight, we had to go through a HUGE security check before the next flight. They were boarding my flight just was I was getting to the gate! It’s a fine line. You never know if you are going to go through long lines of security checks, any sort of delays whether it be tour or flight, traffic or check in problems. You need to allow plenty of time!

• 14 Jun 2010 Emily said

Default_avatar

Thanks for all your help, my travel agent also recommended Eurostar after I had another chat with her, so that is what I will do, I’d rather leave the tour knowing i’ll make my flight than taking a chance!!

• 14 Jun 2010 Emily said

Default_avatar

Another quick question – I will be leaving (I assume) from the campsite in Paris, so what would be the best way to Paris Gare du Nord? Or do I continue with the tour to the ferry port, and then leave from there? I’ve looked through my Contiki documents and it isn’t specified as to what time we leave Paris on the final day, so I don’t know how much time I need to factor in, when booking Eurostar tickets

• 15 Jun 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

The bus would leave the Paris campsite roughly around 8am. Talk to your TM, they might be able to drop you off at the train station, or near a metro stop.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.