Community_discussions_small  

Question

Book a flight thru Contiki or with own airline?

18 Dec 2011 Reka803 asked

Reka803

Hello,

I am flying from the states to Greece this year and I was wondering if I should book the flight thru Contiki or my own airline because I have rewards and I might be flying to another non- contiki vacation after and than back to the states. I have always used Contiki in booking flights. Thank you.

• 18 Dec 2011 NJCourt said

NJCourt

I’m flying from New Jersey to Europe. I let Contiki book my flight and they got me a great airline and price. I’m taking Virgin America airline.

• 19 Dec 2011 Reka803 said

Reka803

Thank you! :)

• 19 Dec 2011 Jen_au said

Jen_au

I’ve found in the past that I’ve been able to get flights cheaper either through a travel agent or by hunting around myself but I’m in Australia, not the US so I guess that might make a difference??

• 19 Dec 2011 Reka803 said

Reka803

Hi, thank you so much. I wanted to use my miles on earned on my credit card nit sure if Contiki accepted that, hope this makes sense.:)

• 13 Jan 2012 PinaI said

PinaI

If you want to use credit card earned miles you will probably have to book with the airline or card company direct. Generally, I would see what price Contiki can give me and then ask a few travel agents too and maybe check online as well – then, just book the cheapest! You’ll get there no matter what!

• 13 Jan 2012 Megs said

Megs

I’ve always used skyscanner.com, it gives you a listing of all the airlines offering flights :) not too sure on their policy on miles though… Good luck!

• 13 Jan 2012 cdm115 said

cdm115

I’ve always booked my airfare myself, I like that I can pick my airline, flights, seats (well depending on the airline). Plus, if you’re booking yourself you can get airline miles, you might not be able to if you book through Contiki. But if you want to use miles you’ll have to book through the airline. Don’t forget that if your miles are with one airline then you can fly pretty much any airline within the airline alliance. If you have United Miles you can fly on Lufthansa (a much better airline). Or with Delta you can fly with Air France/KLM. You have to book through the airline you have the miles with and it’s not always as easy to find the flights on the other airlines, but it is an option. Also, when you call or look online they will automatically search for non-stop flight from point A to point B. But you may need a stop over. So if you’re in Pittsburgh you might need a flight from PIT to NYC to Athens and you might have to prompt reservations or the website to look through the different flight options that way.

The one time I suggest giving serious thought to booking through contiki is if your tour is not guaranteed. Otherwise, it’s a matter of preference and letting someone else do the work.

• 21 Jan 2012 ExplorerJeff said

ExplorerJeff

depending on the price contiki qoute but if you book early enough it will probably be cheaper through contiki than travel agent or online unless theres an airfare sale or something. i booked my throught my travel agent and not contiki but prices were roughly the same.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion